PDA

View Full Version : engine ice?

trx450r ryder
02-17-2009, 05:34 PM
wat is everyones experience with engine ice?
is their any negatives about it?
and r u supposed to mix it with sumthing or just straight and wat could it hurt?:confused:

TitanMotorworks
02-17-2009, 05:42 PM
I've had no complaint. Have been using it for a long time. Engines run cooler than standard antifreeze. It does cost more. You run it straight. I recommend to flush cooling system with water if you switch.

TWILLIAMS16
02-17-2009, 05:55 PM
I agree with TitanMotorworks. I run it in both the practice bike and race bike. The engines run alot cooler. It is kinda expensive though.

WilRideAnything
02-17-2009, 07:30 PM
I use it as well, so do all my friends. Like stated above run it straight. One jug is enough for 04/05. I'm not sure about 06 and up.

trx450r ryder
02-17-2009, 08:53 PM
thanks 4 the input guys ill try and start runnin it in my bike,how do u flush everything?

pro-rider46
02-17-2009, 09:39 PM
i use it in all my stuff bikes and quads. works good. to flush it get a gallon or half gallon if you can of distilled water from your grocery store. and when you drain your old anti freeze pour the water in and make sure everything is together, and start it up and let it run for a few minutes. let it all cool, and drain all the water. and pour in your engine ice.

my only complaint is that if you let it sit for a long time, it corroded my drain bolt. like it melts some aluminum, and seized the bolt. the dex cool that chevy uses does this. it like melts the aluminum and in some cases the dex cool will even ruin blocks. but i am getting away from topic.

coryatver
02-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Engine ice is a Propylene glycol base. Non toxic but it oxidizes causing corrosion and has a lower boiling point than ethylene glycol. It is a scientific fact you can look it up yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze

Ethylene glycol cools better and doesn't cause corrosion but is toxic. Its the normal car antifreeze.

So pretty much regular car antifreeze you can get at walmart is a lot better than expensive engine ice. But people are still going to buy engine ice anyway becuase people don't research and just go by what there dealers say lol

pro-rider46
02-17-2009, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
Engine ice is a Propylene glycol base. Non toxic but it oxidizes causing corrosion and has a lower boiling point than ethylene glycol. It is a scientific fact you can look it up yourself.

Ethylene glycol cools better but is toxic. Its the normal car antifreeze.

So pretty much regular car antifreeze is a lot better than expensive engine ice. But people are still going to buy engine ice anyway becuase people don't research and just go by what there dealers say lol

cortatver, does that mean you can dump engine ice?

coryatver
02-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Yes you can it is biodegradable non toxic. Says right on there home page.
http://www.engineice.cc/

Propylene glycol-based fluids are even used in food processing applications

It being non toxic is a definitely a plus but it has a lower boiling point than an ethylene glycol based coolant

Ethylene glycol also not only has a higher boiling point but also better heat transfer properties than propylene gylcol(engine ice)

trx450r ryder
02-17-2009, 10:59 PM
so what ur sayin is i can go pick up sum good o car antifreeze from tha gettin place and it will outperform engine ice in each and every way?cuz im just wantin my ****t to run as cool as posibble regardless of cost

WilRideAnything
02-18-2009, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by coryatver

Ethylene glycol cools better and doesn't cause corrosion but is toxic. Its the normal car antifreeze.

So pretty much regular car antifreeze you can get at walmart is a lot better than expensive engine ice. But people are still going to buy engine ice anyway becuase people don't research and just go by what there dealers say lol

That info doesn't mention Engine Ice.

trx450r ryder
02-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by WilRideAnything
That info doesn't mention Engine Ice. yeah but it mentions propelyn glycol

veenser2000
02-18-2009, 01:05 PM
I dont know if this is any help but it is in engine ices FAQ

Is it safe for aluminum?

Yes, Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant is safe for aluminum and most all metals.

Will it harm my gaskets or seals?

No, Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant will not harm your seals and gaskets. Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant meets or exceeds all AS™ (American Society for Testing and Materials) and SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Standards and Requirements. These are industry standards in most everything mechanical and engine-based, including motorcycles and cars.

But does Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant ™ protect an alloy engine as well as regular antifreeze?

You bet! Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant ™ offers excellent alloy protection for Motorcycle engines against corrosion, overheating, & freezing

What about protection against corrosion?

The Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant ™ formulation has shown outstanding performance in testing that measures its ability to prevent corrosion within all cooling systems, including aluminum, copper, cast iron, steel, magnesium & solder.

I'm not preaching this it is just what i found....

veenser2000
02-18-2009, 01:07 PM
coryatver is also right it has a lower thermal conductivity than regular antifreeze

Johnny B
02-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by trx450r ryder
so what ur sayin is i can go pick up sum good o car antifreeze from tha gettin place and it will outperform engine ice in each and every way?cuz im just wantin my ****t to run as cool as posibble regardless of cost

no, they say just regular car coolent is bad for an atv because the silaca in regular coolent destroys the seals, and it is bad for the water pump.

WilRideAnything
02-18-2009, 03:23 PM
I don't know if anyone here is familiar with the recall on 05 Z400 for the clutch cover being part magnisium. Well regular coolant was eating through them like acid. My friend had Engine Ice in his and it was close to spotless when we replaced the cover. I'm sold on Engine Ice and would not use anything else. I run it in my street bike too.

coryatver
02-18-2009, 05:39 PM
I don't know if anyone here is familiar with the recall on 05 Z400 for the clutch cover being part magnisium. Well regular coolant was eating through them like acid. My friend had Engine Ice in his and it was close to spotless when we replaced the cover. I'm sold on Engine Ice and would not use anything else. I run it in my street bike too.

he was lucky becuase the magnesium would react with the mixture of water and coolant that Engine Ice is. I know of z400's running Engine Ice that had the corrosion problem. The only coolant that you could run was Evans coolant becuase it is waterless.

Evans coolant also propylene glycol but it contains no water like Engine Ice does. The drawback of Evans is it doesn't have as good of heat transfer characteristics and it raises the boiling point so much that it won't boil and let you know that your bike is overheating and melting all the seals and destroying bearings.

anyone can research this stuff just do a google search and you will see for yourself. Of course if you go to engine ice's website they are not going to tell you the negatives of there product or that you could save a lot of money and get better preformance from ethylene glycol. And the guy that said car coolant will eat the water pump seals or whatever ummm don't cars have water pump seals too?

trx450r ryder
02-18-2009, 06:05 PM
yeah wat he said ^^^ doesnt cars have seals and water pumps to

JParisi48
02-18-2009, 08:04 PM
ok i want my bike to run cooler, what is truley better for cooler running, and wont harm my water pump and seals and stuff?
engine ice or 100% coolant cuz i know some sell the 50/50 coolant...im goin to be racin and would really like to know.thanks

WilRideAnything
02-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Engine Ice. I don't care what those articles say, I did my own real world testing and Engine Ice makes everything I use it in run cooler. I use a laser heat detector to measure the temperatures myself.

trx450r ryder
02-18-2009, 10:56 PM
ok well its settled then theres gonna b a jug sittin on my porch sometime next week :devil:

d3ktrix
02-19-2009, 01:44 AM
I used to run engine ice, but my wallet dies a little bit inside every time I have to drain it out to work on the engine.
And I'm too anal to filter/reuse it.
Just tore the entire bottom end apart and no signs of negative affects from the engine ice after running it for a year.

I'm going to go back to Honda OEM coolant this season for my new build.
1/4th the price of Engine Ice and worked fine for the first 2 years I had my R.
Hopefully it's still good with high HP.

conley 450r
02-19-2009, 03:06 AM
I use it as well, so do all my friends. Like stated above run it straight. One jug is enough for 04/05. I'm not sure about 06 and up.

I have 06 1 jug will work. colder you motor run the faster you will go

chayes627
02-19-2009, 04:56 AM
just so you guys know 30/70 antifreeze to water mix will actually take more heat but has a lower boiling point and higher freezing point. just a random fact

d3ktrix
02-19-2009, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by chayes627
just so you guys know 30/70 antifreeze to water mix will actually take more heat but has a lower boiling point and higher freezing point. just a random fact

Yup, more water and less additives = more heat transfer.
Will also raise its freezing temp and lower the boiling temp though.

Nothing transfers heat as good as pure distilled water.
But the boiling point is too low, and no corrosion inhibitors and will freeze.

eastside 400
02-19-2009, 09:18 AM
ive used prestone universal coolant since 05, never had problems, many of the guys i raced with tried engine ice and they ended up overheating so im not sure about how great that stuff really is. Car antifreeze will not harm aluminum because pretty much every car is using alum. blocks or heads, intake manifolds, throttle bodies, ect that all have coolant flowing threw them, will also not harm seals. ive never had problems with regular antifreeze 50/50 mix

veenser2000
02-19-2009, 09:45 AM
I have been using engine ice in my motor starting last year and it seems fine to me. It is also a TC national motor so it is producing alot of heat.

laeger2fiddyr
02-19-2009, 07:43 PM
ive always ran the honda coolant, in my lrd 265r, lsr crf 450 & now in my 06 trx. all three never once had an issue w/ overhearting and all three had motor work. im going to run it in my new laeger 250r that im building and thats gonna have an lrd 350pv motor in it. engine ice prob works good too but im not gonna pay that much for it!:)

mazdalet13
02-20-2009, 02:14 AM
I have three buddies that all ran engine ice that all had problems. I run stock coolant and have never had any problems. Their motors run cooler most of the time but when they did get too hot the engine ice turn into a gel and was a huge pain to clean out. That same race I had no problems.

WilRideAnything
02-20-2009, 06:27 AM
Living in South Florida it goes from hot to hotter. Everyone I know uses Engine Ice with no problems. It's surprising to hear some of these stories.

veenser2000
03-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Reading a 250r thread i found this -

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Andy Lagzdins [/i]
[B]The hose on the right side is stock, and doesn't need to be cut. I use 28mm hose clamps. I use Engine Ice coolant in all my quads.

There you go even some pros use engine ice so it obviously cant be bad for your machine. :macho

mazdalet13
03-04-2009, 11:01 PM
I don't think it is bad for your machine. But why pay more when regular coolant will do the same thing. Just a thought

trx450r ryder
03-05-2009, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by mazdalet13
I don't think it is bad for your machine. But why pay more when regular coolant will do the same thing. Just a thought not necessarily

mazdalet13
03-06-2009, 09:09 AM
not tryin to start any fights just tellin everyone my experience with it. After cleaning the gel it left in two different quads I think I'll stick with stock coolant.