PDA

View Full Version : new dirtbike and already have questions!

tater_kamik
02-17-2009, 12:36 PM
so i bought a "new" dirtbike, aka a broken yamaha. found out that it is a 95 yz250 today from yamaha. it does need some work since it has been abused but atleast it was garage kept and it runs.
problem is that i kick and it will start/ run but only with the choke fully on. thats not a big deal, especially since i didnt let it warm up thoroughly. I put it into first gear and it killed the engine. when i tried to restart it, i then noticed the front sprocket moved back and forth when kicking it over in nuetral. next time i started it i then noticed that while still in nuetral with the engine running the front sprocket was turning as if it was in gear. keep in mind that the chain is off. seems that it could be a clutch issue but im not really sure and this is my first dirtbike.
any ideas or places that are rich with dirtbike resources that anyone can recommend? and yes ill post pics since this thread is worthless without pics :P

derekhonda
02-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Part one, choke problem: Complete tune up, new plug, clean carb, possibly rejet, clean air filter, see if it runs better.

Part 2, dies when kicked in gear: New clutch.

Part 3, front sprocket: Don't know, probably needs a new clutch.

tater_kamik
02-17-2009, 12:52 PM
thats what i was thinking, thanks derek! i didnt get much time to look at it but im thinking since it blew a LOT of smoke and the guy seemed, well, yeah.... the ratio of fuel to oil is probably off too not helping the situation. im about to go over there now actually after i pick up new sprockets and chain, filter, plug, etc etc. is it bad that the cyclegear people here know me by name?

PunkA$$
02-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Don't jump into buying a new clutch without a little more diagnosis first.

I agree with the comlete tune up to try and fix the rough running problem but the sprocket turning when the bike idles WITHOUT the chain on is completely normal.

It dieing when you put it in gear could simply be a symptom of the poor running condition, or the clutch might simply need adjustment, not necessarily replacement.

When I bought a bike I checked around for a good site and found dirtrider.net to be very helpful.

Good luck!

tater_kamik
02-17-2009, 02:51 PM
cool thank you very much! i ended up not having time enough to work on it today, just to start getting parts ordered. having a heck of a time getting local parts places to actually have what i need in stock, which i would expect due to it being older. positive side is that im getting there with the parts i know i need and hopefully ill be able to put some hours into her tomorrow. the gf and studies come first :)

PunkA$$
02-17-2009, 05:19 PM
Oh and to add to derekhonda's tune up list, also take a look at the reeds while you've got the carb off and make sure you put some fresh fuel in it.;)

02-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by tater_kamik
so i bought a "new" dirtbike, aka a broken yamaha. found out that it is a 95 yz250 today from yamaha. it does need some work since it has been abused but atleast it was garage kept and it runs.
problem is that i kick and it will start/ run but only with the choke fully on. thats not a big deal, especially since i didnt let it warm up thoroughly. I put it into first gear and it killed the engine. when i tried to restart it, i then noticed the front sprocket moved back and forth when kicking it over in nuetral. next time i started it i then noticed that while still in nuetral with the engine running the front sprocket was turning as if it was in gear. keep in mind that the chain is off. seems that it could be a clutch issue but im not really sure and this is my first dirtbike.
any ideas or places that are rich with dirtbike resources that anyone can recommend? and yes ill post pics since this thread is worthless without pics :P

yes it will tirn in neutrall all 2strokes do it my yz125 does it , oh and my warrior did it

tater_kamik
02-17-2009, 07:40 PM
i really wasnt sure as i have always had a chain on any motor so i really needed to know. I will be looking at the reeds hopefully tomorrow. i am hoping between the new stuff i managed to pick up today and a trip to a parts store i will have enough to atleast go through the carb and to pull off the exhaust to see the condition of the cylinder wall. with any luck i wont have too many surprises!

ZeroLogic
02-17-2009, 08:19 PM
The front spocket will turn if there isn't a chain on there but it won't turn real fast. It sounds like your clutch is toast. Open it up and check the plates.

Rejet the bike, new plug, new filter and clean the carb and gas lines out real good. Make sure your jetting is right on also so you can get the most out of the bike. I would also pull the head off and replace the rings since its rather cheap. But about ten plugs also cause you will foul a bunch.;)