PDA

View Full Version : is it safe to buy?????

IRISH-RACER-14
02-17-2009, 07:36 AM
is an early model 700r safe to buy?are they as reliable as the newer 700r

raptorkid
02-17-2009, 09:26 AM
i got a 06 700r and it is awsome. i think its as reliable as a newer model. but the 08-09 has a better suspension. it all depends on how much $$$ you want to spend.

cjkranz
02-17-2009, 10:47 AM
I don't believe there have been any major changes on the 700 since it was released.. Here is what Yamaha posted for changes..

New for 2009:
Raptor 700R is now the first sport ATV with a digital meter. Newly designed meter provides speedometer, dual trip meters, odometer, clock, warning indicators for coolant and low fuel, plus neutral and reverse indicators.
New SOQI piggyback shocks have 5mm longer stroke for excellent sport-riding comfort, with high- and low-speed compression adjustability, rebound and preload adjustability, and 9.1-inch travel.
Thumb throttle lever has a new, smooth shape for a feel riders will appreciate, with less fatigue at the end of the day.
Front-end styling has been updated, with a new look for the front cowl.
Special Edition gets a wave-type rear disc for great braking ability and race-ready looks, plus special front grab bar and footwells.

IRISH-RACER-14
02-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by raptorkid
i got a 06 700r and it is awsome. i think its as reliable as a newer model. but the 08-09 has a better suspension. it all depends on how much $$$ you want to spend.

i herd on this site somewhere that the earlier 06 models give trouble...the ones with the weaker suspension

raptorkid
02-17-2009, 02:33 PM
:huh what kind of trouble?

cjkranz
02-17-2009, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by kdigginz
i herd on this site somewhere that the earlier 06 models give trouble...the ones with the weaker suspension

I hadn't heard that either..

scuzz
02-17-2009, 03:57 PM
IMO any year 700r is good.

cjkranz
02-17-2009, 04:11 PM
If you are wanting better suspension buy a used LE. They have the piggyback shocks stock.

mcnugget22
02-17-2009, 11:34 PM
i bought my 06 right before christmas in 05. I have had 2 trannies put in it now.. i dont know if it is a bad bike i got or if it is the way i ride.. but.. i think it was a freak off the line because it is much faster than anyone elses i have ran when it was all stock.. so.. dont knwo .. other than that.. the bike is awesome!!

IRISH-RACER-14
02-18-2009, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by cjkranz
If you are wanting better suspension buy a used LE. They have the piggyback shocks stock. i dont want a better suspension i want the better bike

cjkranz
02-18-2009, 08:32 AM
If you want a "better" bike then buy a new one... only because they have a few upgraded items, as listed above. Will these add-ons make them any faster? Probably not..

IRISH-RACER-14
02-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by cjkranz
If you want a "better" bike then buy a new one... only because they have a few upgraded items, as listed above. Will these add-ons make them any faster? Probably not..
im going to buy the 06..just i dont want a trouble some bike

cjkranz
02-18-2009, 12:22 PM
If you are going to buy a used one make sure you check it over very well before you buy it.. regular maintenance been done? Ever wrecked or rolled? etc..

mustangracer42
02-19-2009, 08:20 PM
The only known problems associated with the 06 is vapor locking fuel pump and a partially connected wire for the fan relay. The wire is easy to check for and just push it all the way together. Most of the fuel pumps have been replaced. Other than that the main differences are only cosmetics. The 07 SE comes with piggyback shocks and all models after 08 did. The 08 has a better flowing head. Not because of any redesign, more of a cleaner casting than anything.

I highly recommend getting a 700. There will be many others who chime in here but outta the box, the 700 raptor is the baddest one out there. We can all sit around and compare modded bikes to each other so that's a whole other can of worms.

IRISH-RACER-14
02-20-2009, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by mustangracer42
The only known problems associated with the 06 is vapor locking fuel pump and a partially connected wire for the fan relay. The wire is easy to check for and just push it all the way together. Most of the fuel pumps have been replaced. Other than that the main differences are only cosmetics. The 07 SE comes with piggyback shocks and all models after 08 did. The 08 has a better flowing head. Not because of any redesign, more of a cleaner casting than anything.

I highly recommend getting a 700. There will be many others who chime in here but outta the box, the 700 raptor is the baddest one out there. We can all sit around and compare modded bikes to each other so that's a whole other can of worms.

so what your saying is even if the 700 pump gives trouble it is an easy fix?ya i think ill be putting a set of 450 shocks on it to lower it

mustangracer42
02-20-2009, 07:32 AM
yep. The easiest way is to let it sit for 10 minutes and it'll be good to go. Even those are rare, it's just something that "was an issue" with some 06s. I have an 06 and never had any problems and so do LOTS of other people. Even if you did have one that vapor locked, the big deal about it is that if it ever happened to ya, you'd at least know what was up.

IRISH-RACER-14
02-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by mustangracer42
yep. The easiest way is to let it sit for 10 minutes and it'll be good to go. Even those are rare, it's just something that "was an issue" with some 06s. I have an 06 and never had any problems and so do LOTS of other people. Even if you did have one that vapor locked, the big deal about it is that if it ever happened to ya, you'd at least know what was up.

ok thanks.

mustangracer42
02-20-2009, 01:25 PM
I've not ever heard of it happening while riding though. It usually happened after the quad was hot from being ridden, turned off and then try to restart a few minutes later. "IF" it happened to ya , wait a few minutes and try again. Fuel pump replacement is really simple if needed and used ones can be found on ebay and other places.