PDA

View Full Version : 04 CRF250R problem. i know its not a quad..

400exdave
02-16-2009, 10:03 PM
forgive me, i know this is the wrong section, but i figured you guys might know how to help me. I just bought a 2004 Honda CRF250R motocross bike. The guy told me that he couldn't get it to start using the kick start, but i bought it for 600 bucks. I just pulled the plug, and it shows good spark. I put new fresh premium gas in it. Took the filter out and tried to start it. When I bought it from him he said the only way he could get it to start was by compression starting it. But it has been sitting for 2 years. He left the gas switch in the off position so I turned it on and kicked it over and over again. I heard a pop sound out of the pipe and thats it. I haven't compressioned started it yet. Do you guys have any ideas? thanks in advance..

dave

Ogener
02-16-2009, 10:09 PM
If the valves haven't been replaced on that bike I bet your valves are bad. I believe the 04s had issues with valves wearing out way fast.

400exdave
02-16-2009, 10:22 PM
Okay thanks. I'll have to check into that. The guy i got it from was saying he thinks it's the valves but he wasn't real sure. It seemed like he didn't really know a lot about the bike.

d3ktrix
02-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Clean the carb and adjust the valves.

If the carb isn't drained completely before sitting for then a few months it will be totally clogged with gelled fuel.

And 600bux sounds like an ultra good deal, wish I could find 1 for that much.

hendershot106
02-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
Clean the carb and adjust the valves.

If the carb isn't drained completely before sitting for then a few months it will be totally clogged with gelled fuel.

And 600bux sounds like an ultra good deal, wish I could find 1 for that much.

more than likely valves on that bike.... i had one almost identical in 05-06 race season i competed on... valves always needed adjusted... lucky to get it to pop start... ... check the crank out too.. those bikes are strong when tuned in!!

400exdave
02-17-2009, 07:40 PM
thank you very much. I'm gonna keep tinkering with it, and do all the things that were said in this post. yeah, its a sweet deal. real good lookin' bike though! He just didn't want to deal with it anymore because he didnt have time to ride it cuz he just got a cbr1000. good for me tho!

dave