PDA

View Full Version : Silverado SS or Ram 5.7 Any input Appreciated

onefast400ex
02-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Hey Everyone,
Is anybody have any knowledge of the Silverado SS? I have been thinking of getting one for quite some time, but don't know a whole lot about them. The only thing keeping me away from them is the AWD. I like to have 4-wheel drive, but not all the time. I was wondering if anybody made a conversion to a switch so you can control 2 and 4 wheel drive. Also is there any die-hard SS owner that knows about their potential problems and what I should look out for in one. I am a big fan of the 04's so that is probably my target. On the other hand I really like the 06 and up Dodge Ram 5.7L Crew Cab. It's an awesome truck and I know a good bit about them. I'm mostly looking for a fun truck that will be used for a little towing ( 6x12 enclosed trailer ) at most. Also if anybody has an SS Silverado for Sale, post it up. Any input on either of these trucks is appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Andrew

deathcorefan2
02-16-2009, 09:10 PM
go chevy, i hear dodge's have tranny probs.

chevys&honda$
02-16-2009, 09:30 PM
chevy chevy chevy:D

ricksmx865
02-16-2009, 09:47 PM
SS

i want one soooooooo bad

chevys&honda$
02-16-2009, 10:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5k0gI1wjWc&feature=related

CHEVY:D

Kickstarts-suck
02-17-2009, 01:07 AM
Those SSs are beast. I would get the Chevy.

ben300
02-17-2009, 06:26 AM
Im not possitive but dont the newer SS's come in either AWD or 4WD versions?

csr250r
02-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Im pretty sure that they are all time 4WD, I want one of those trucks, pretty sweet, kinda spendy and hard to come by though.

ThreeDollaBills
02-17-2009, 09:57 AM
SS is more rare to see than a Dodge. Plus I watched a vid or a modded Rumble Bee get stomped by a stock Ford Lightening.

Go Chevy.

cdrookie
02-17-2009, 11:24 AM
a stock ford lightening can "stomp" just about any truck out there. might have something to do with the supercharger???????????

i believe the SS came with the 6.0? never heard any good about them, unless sucking gas and low performance is good...they're nice looking trucks though.

my last truck, and my current truck, are hemi powered. i'm not brand loyal, i'd buy anything as long as it had a hemi

:cool:

test drive each one and buy what you prefer.

Kickstarts-suck
02-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by cdrookie
a stock ford lightening can "stomp" just about any truck out there. might have something to do with the supercharger???????????

Ok yes the Lightning has a supercharger but it is also just a 5.4L the Dodge and Chevy has more displacement to make up for the supercharger on the Lightnings.

cdrookie
02-17-2009, 11:35 AM
a 5.4 with a supercharger is no match for a 5.7 or 6.0.
.3L is nothing, .6L is nothing, compared to a supercharger. the lightening is a purpose built muscle truck, like the ram srt10, they're built for one reason. that reason isn't mud boggin, or hauling a 32' camper(or 6x12 trailer)...

this isn't a lightening topic anyways.

TCracin440ex
02-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by cdrookie

i believe the SS came with the 6.0? never heard any good about them, unless sucking gas and low performance is good...they're nice looking trucks though.

my last truck, and my current truck, are hemi powered. i'm not brand loyal, i'd buy anything as long as it had a hemi

:cool:

test drive each one and buy what you prefer.

leave it to somebody to come on here and flame

the ss is a good looking truck, plenty of power and can be used as a truck and as a sporty ride....the hemi...ive never really expericend anything with dodge other then the transmissions being weak and their pooor gas mpg

mineralgrey01gt
02-17-2009, 12:44 PM
IMO the SS is a huge disappointment. They are slow as hell, look decent but since they came out everyone and there mom has the conversion on there trucks (at least around here) so most people who dont know what they are looking at cant tell the difference between a real one or fake one. Id go with the dodge personally out of those two but if you want a 4 door id go with the harley davidson editing F150 (2002 - 2004).

Also if the tranny is an issue id seriously look up the chevy's problems with tranny's. The 460le or whatever it is that comes in those are like paper mache. If you keep it stock then yeah itll work fine but modded any little bit, they will break very often, even built trannys with minimal mods break on those for some reason.

cdrookie
02-17-2009, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
leave it to somebody to come on here and flame

the ss is a good looking truck, plenty of power and can be used as a truck and as a sporty ride....the hemi...ive never really expericend anything with dodge other then the transmissions being weak and their pooor gas mpg

who's flaming? giving my opinion, which is what this thread is made up of. if you would get out of the 90's you'd know that dodge's tranny problems are a thing of the past. every manufacturer has had trucks come back for tranny problems, along with a host of other issues. and the 06 + hemi's with MDS, over 20+ on the highway isn't uncommon. other manufacturers getting better mileage? yes, but they don't run nearly as well.

r-exrider0003
02-17-2009, 01:29 PM
SS FTW.:macho

Stevie-D
02-17-2009, 01:51 PM
who's flaming? giving my opinion, which is what this thread is made up of. if you would get out of the 90's you'd know that dodge's tranny problems are a thing of the past. every manufacturer has had trucks come back for tranny problems, along with a host of other issues. and the 06 + hemi's with MDS, over 20+ on the highway isn't uncommon. other manufacturers getting better mileage? yes, but they don't run nearly as well.

um:chinese: ... my 04 hemi lost the tranny at 30k. which was about 500 miles after i bought it:macho. the trannys are still junk, especially when put behind a cummins, which is why the majority of built or work trucks ive seen have standard trannys.
not to mention, the half ton hemi isnt available with the 6 speed stick- yet it is available in a 3/4 ton hemi. odd?:confused:

cdrookie
02-17-2009, 02:05 PM
and chevys have lost tranny's just the same. your truck was an 04 4 speed(which was last used in 05), correct? you bought it used correct?
dude at work lost his tranny AND rearend(at different times) in his 6.0 chevy 4x4, so they're junk, right?

not sure why dodge doesn't offer a manual hemi half ton... not sure why there's hardly any half ton, short bed, standard cabs on dealership lots either? probably has something to do with sales. does chevy even offer a manual trans anymore?

like i said before onefast400 should test drive each and decide which he likes better, it's his money. and checkout the dodge and chevy SS sites, they offer way more info from people who actually own THE trucks, not just own A truck.

johnnyquad17
02-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Get a 5.7 Tundra 381 H.P. and add a supercharger 505 hp enough
said. That's what I have and love it!

97blaster200
02-17-2009, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Stevie-D
um:chinese: ... my 04 hemi lost the tranny at 30k. which was about 500 miles after i bought it:macho. the trannys are still junk, especially when put behind a cummins, which is why the majority of built or work trucks ive seen have standard trannys.
not to mention, the half ton hemi isnt available with the 6 speed stick- yet it is available in a 3/4 ton hemi. odd?:confused:

yeah its called for towing.....

chevys&honda$
02-17-2009, 02:49 PM
All the tranny problems that chevy, dodge and ford have are caused by the owners and improper use.

I.E. not useing the tow/haul mode when towing and lifting a truck 4,6,8,10 inches and put huge offroad tires on them you put massive stress on those stock trannys, drive lines, u-joints, hub's, rearend's and brakes

my dad has a 2001 ram and it's going strong a 287,000 miles and my 2000 chevy i traded in at 213,000 never had a problem they both were stock hieght and tires.

keep it stock and take care of it and it will last 2-300,000 miles i dont care what the brand chevy, dodge, ford, nissan, toyota.

Tommy 17
02-17-2009, 02:53 PM
I just looked into the SS's because i almost bought one

2003 and 2004 were awd with the ltz interior. That means loaded with leather and steering wheel controls and all that nice stuff...

2005 2006 and 2007 classic are 2wd only rear and come in the base model interior. Therefore u loose alot of the nice features. This was due to the drop in price that was needed to sell them.

Also remember your going to be getting the 6.0 motor in it with 4.10 gears... thats like 11mpg!!!!

deathcorefan2
02-17-2009, 02:54 PM
get an SS suburban.

lol

20in. SS wheels
Custom Paint
Cowl Induction Hood
SS Badges
Polished Emblem
Tail lights
Leather
Vortech 5.7 V8 255 HP stock
Custom Exhaust
K&N Filter

Yeah...It gets looks...

http://i43.tinypic.com/ifzwc7.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/wtf7l0.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/sdl17t.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/2i1gu3m.jpg

:D well i like it.

lol not bad for one summer worth of work...and not much money at all.

TCracin440ex
02-17-2009, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by chevys&honda$
All the tranny problems that chevy, dodge and ford have are caused by the owners and improper use.

I.E. not useing the tow/haul mode when towing and lifting a truck 4,6,8,10 inches and put huge offroad tires on them you put massive stress on those stock trannys, drive lines, u-joints, hub's, rearend's and brakes

my dad has a 2001 ram and it's going strong a 287,000 miles and my 2000 chevy i traded in at 213,000 never had a problem they both were stock hieght and tires.

keep it stock and take care of it and it will last 2-300,000 miles i dont care what the brand chevy, dodge, ford, nissan, toyota.

my truck is rolling on 9 inches of lift a 37s. but its regeared...the problem with people lifting their vehicles is leaving stock gears in the truck with huge tires and that puts alot of strain on the transmission...you gear lower you dont have that problem at all

mineralgrey and the trans in the 1500s are the 4L65e alot of difference in the 4l60e

and how come the 6.0 iron block motor out of the 2500hd is a very common used motor in camaros?

yes i will admit the gm 10 bolt rearend aint wortha shyt. i hate it and i think chevy needs to do somthing with 10 bolt they put under trucks...just about all GM rwd cars and trucks use the same 10 bolt rearend and i hate it...they need to do like they did back on some of the obs chevy 1500 trucks and put a 14bolt 6lug Semi float rearend under them. i think the new Vortech max 6.0 has the 14bolt Sf 6 lug but not sure

chevys&honda$
02-18-2009, 01:04 AM
shift kits are a good idea to if your gona do alot of towing or lift it with big tires.