PDA

View Full Version : Bent frame on 04'

mephyst
02-16-2009, 06:43 PM
I just bought a used quad with a bent frame. It still works fine but it is really bugging me. It is bent to the left behind the bottom a arm where that little plate is in between the frame. That plate actually buckled a little bit. How do I fix this? My right wheel sticks out about an inch further than the left and is noticeable to me when I am standing up on it and looking down.

I don't mind too much if I have to strip the whole quad down and send it somewhere or get it repaired locally... or maybe I can fix it myself? I figure if I fix the bend I might as well gusset the whole frame and get it powder coated.

I can only imagine how expensive it is to ship a frame... who does good work? Does anyone know of someone locally in Southern California? LA/Riverside/San Diego/Orange County?

HondaRaceReady
02-16-2009, 07:39 PM
I would just buy a new frame. Send it directly to the place you want it powdercoated or whatever. Its cheaper than sending it out to get repaired and then paying for it to get shipped back. If its bad enough, it may never straighten out anyway.

mephyst
02-16-2009, 07:52 PM
I really don't want to pay all the money for a new frame... and I don't think its bent that bad. I'm sure someone can fix it with a little heat and pressure. I know these Honda frames are weak and I don't think everyone just buys a new frame that gets a small crack or bend.

kawabunga
02-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by HondaRaceReady
I would just buy a new frame. Send it directly to the place you want it powdercoated or whatever. Its cheaper than sending it out to get repaired and then paying for it to get shipped back. If its bad enough, it may never straighten out anyway.

That sounds like your best option. Bending it again will only weaken the frame further. If it was just cracked, then I'd say strip it down. But being bent, and if it's that noticable, I'd probably spring for a new frame. And just think, you could turn it into a full blown rebuild and have a brand new quad again!

mephyst
02-16-2009, 08:41 PM
I found this picture of someone yellow400ex's frame and it is exactly how mine is bent. Mine might even be less of a bend. Like I said, it still handles fine and everything but it bugs me... especially that I just bought this thing and didn't see it until I got home. :(

I was thinking if I plasma cut the circled plate off really clean it would make it pretty easy to bend back into place, and then replace it with a much stronger/thicker plate and be done with it...

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k133/mephyst/bentframe.jpg

BlaineKaiser450
02-16-2009, 10:05 PM
that little spot with the little circle on mine has a fat dent it in from landing on a rock

Bwild
02-18-2009, 03:54 PM
I nailed a tree with mine and it bent like that but to the right, I stripped it down and straightened it myself. I then reinforced it with plating top and bottom. seems good so far, took it to a couple of tracks and boched a couple of jumps, paint didn't flake or anything, Sorry no pictures but I'm confident it well hold.PS wife was pretty pissed at me for that:mad:

JessetheKid
02-18-2009, 06:05 PM
i had the same thing, i would not mess with straightening it, check it out really good when i tore mine down to replace it with a used frame inside one of the a-arm mounts was cracked all over could have been dangerous if I would have kept riding it.

conley 450r
02-19-2009, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by mephyst
I found this picture of someone yellow400ex's frame and it is exactly how mine is bent. Mine might even be less of a bend. Like I said, it still handles fine and everything but it bugs me... especially that I just bought this thing and didn't see it until I got home. :(

I was thinking if I plasma cut the circled plate off really clean it would make it pretty easy to bend back into place, and then replace it with a much stronger/thicker plate and be done with it...

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k133/mephyst/bentframe.jpg

a thicker plat might make you noise dive. Trying bend that back prob wont ever be the same. If you put heat to the frame you will prob tweak it.

GOOD LICK GUY

450 mike
02-22-2009, 06:20 AM
i also hit a tree bent frame right tire pushed back 1 inch. had my old a-arms so put them back on (both sides)took big ratchet strap (3in wide) hooked to foot peg went around balljoints on left side then back to foot peg. clamp two peices of 1/4 in. flat stock and sandwich the upper an lower ball joints on the side you want to push back. now take a 8 ton jack or larger from a cherry picker and place the base at the point wher the foot peg meets the frame. the other end make shure you put the jack in the center of the plate(center of upper and lower ball joint). opps i forgort cut 2 1x1 pieces of square tubing and replace it with your shocks. if you dont the suspension will raise when you push and youll mess it all up. pump the jack till it moves about a 1/4in then go to the other side and tighten ratchet strap,keep repeating untill you go 1in past your desired measure ment. WARNING you will destroy a set of a-arms. use some that u dont care if you throw away. it took me about 3 hrs and its perfect HOWEVER you need to understand that if you crash again the frame will be junk. But this will by you some riding time while you save for the new frame or new bike.