PDA

View Full Version : Twin Air Filter !

ROB450mxr
02-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Just installed one on my 450 and it gave it a noticeable power gain. Its definately not a design for wet conditions tho. I think I'm gonna go ahead and get the Rath intake in the near future. What other filter setups are you guys using???

SSJEFF
02-16-2009, 10:34 PM
This is disappointing since I have one on the way for xc racing. The rath is not for wet conditions either. Do you have any pictures of the twin air?

ROB450mxr
02-17-2009, 04:58 PM
I don't have any pic's but the reason I stated that it wasn't for wet conditions is because you have to remove the factory intake boot which opens up the airbox. The twin-air filter and boot is all one piece and bolts directly to the carb. It comes with a piece of foam to fill in the gap from the factory boot but its not cut rite and there is still a gap so dirt and water is still gonna make it into the box. I also had to trim the inside of the twin-air boot where it fits to the carb cuz it is a little small and some shavings were coming off and falling into my carb when I tried to install it without trimming the inside of it. Hope this helps...

SSJEFF
02-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by ROB450mxr
I don't have any pic's but the reason I stated that it wasn't for wet conditions is because you have to remove the factory intake boot which opens up the airbox. The twin-air filter and boot is all one piece and bolts directly to the carb. It comes with a piece of foam to fill in the gap from the factory boot but its not cut rite and there is still a gap so dirt and water is still gonna make it into the box. I also had to trim the inside of the twin-air boot where it fits to the carb cuz it is a little small and some shavings were coming off and falling into my carb when I tried to install it without trimming the inside of it. Hope this helps...

Yes it does give me a heads up. I will figure something out!! I try to be ingenious when it comes to my quad.

coalrat
02-18-2009, 07:51 AM
After working with one of the twin air reps, and getting 2 samples sent to me(that fit very well) i wonder why they are still making the boot to small. my box is sealed, easy to do, and do notice the power increase also, mostly in lower torque. Did you get this from twin air, or a distributor like rocky mtn?

As far as the oil you put on them, make sure you put the kind the says oil resistant on the bottle, it does a good job of keeping it from going through on splash. I been useing maxima, use to use the twin air, both work good. I have alot of trust in the twin air filters, husky and probably even KTM has always used them.

coalrat
02-18-2009, 07:53 AM
sealed,(except the top)

SSJEFF
02-18-2009, 09:21 AM
Thnx man!!!

I got it from Twin Air. They are sponsoring me. I think I will get it to work also. Just waiting for it to come in.

SSJEFF
02-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Got mine a couple minutes ago. The boot is too small, the whole in the foam piece is on the bottom and needs to be on the top. I am contemplating cutting the foam off theirs and putting it on the stock cage.

coalrat
02-18-2009, 02:45 PM
The foam is kinda of worthless to me, but i tried.
the left side was too thick, and i want to make sure it does not pull off the carb. yep, hole was wrong too

ROB450mxr
02-18-2009, 05:16 PM
Let me know how you make out with it cuz I'm gonna have 2 do something 2 modify it or get a different filter all together. Thanks.

SSJEFF
02-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Let me know how you make out with it cuz I'm gonna have 2 do something 2 modify it or get a different filter all together. Thanks.

I will. I am really thinking of cutting the Twin Air off their mount and putting the filter on the stock cage though.

I want to get some pictues and measurements to send to them first.

coalrat
02-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Yo Jeff, check your pm's

SSJEFF
02-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by coalrat
Yo Jeff, check your pm's

Thanks,

I called them and then emailed pictures along with an explination. I cannot really give them my carb either but I could maybe meet them at a race to let them get measurements.

I cut the filter off the flange, cut the cage so it had about 1 inch of the sides of the cage left and siliconed the Twin Air onto the stock cage setup. I think it will do.

Hopefully they get back to me today.

jm812003
02-21-2009, 08:20 AM
post some pics and let us know how that works. I thinking of doing the samething and running a homemade outerswear lid. I cant beieve nobody has made just a replacement drop in filter yet.

coalrat
02-21-2009, 08:44 AM
I have talked directly to uni filter, their answer was that it was due to the way the filter clamps on with that spring rope. they do not feel that a good seal is longterm kept, so they will not make one.

Has anyone tried or seen a no-toil one yet, rocky mnt cycle has them also, maybe it is a stock replacement??

I have heard one from a kx65 will work, maybe a little mods to it.

SSJEFF
02-21-2009, 10:07 PM
I heard a 400 ex white brother would work but.... White brothers is out of business now.

I will get a pictures of what I did tommorow. I have to reglue it since there was oil on the cage and it did not adhere.

bpjr07
02-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by jm812003
post some pics and let us know how that works. I thinking of doing the samething and running a homemade outerswear lid. I cant beieve nobody has made just a replacement drop in filter yet.

isnt the K&N a direct replacement for 08 outlaws 525s?

coalrat
02-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Only after the rath mods was done , I'm sure in time more will come out, 09's are the same so I think there will be more to come

ROB450mxr
02-22-2009, 12:34 PM
How much modification is required to the airbox for the rath setup. If its not to drastic i might try it out..

SSJEFF
02-22-2009, 03:03 PM
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg101/outlawjeff/Predatorowners/Rath/SRAintake/P1010037.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg101/outlawjeff/Predatorowners/Rath/SRAintake/P1010038.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg101/outlawjeff/Predatorowners/Rath/SRAintake/P1010039.jpg

bpjr07
02-22-2009, 11:30 PM
hum in k&n.com I found it for my 08 said it's a direct replacement and will no effect jetting. Plus I heard someone say the same elseware

SSJEFF
02-23-2009, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by bpjr07
hum in k&n.com I found it for my 08 said it's a direct replacement and will no effect jetting. Plus I heard someone say the same elseware

That is not just a K&N, it is a Rath Racing intake kit with a K&N for the SRA. Be sure the K&N you are talking about is not for the IRS, I know they make one for it that will work.

ROB450mxr
02-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the pic's Jeff.

SSJEFF
02-25-2009, 12:18 AM
No problem! I have a project in the future to start website to help all the outlaw guys out. Polaris guys have to stick together!

bpjr07
02-25-2009, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by SSJEFF
No problem! I have a project in the future to start website to help all the outlaw guys out. Polaris guys have to stick together!

yeah that would be great!
need all the help i can get from this lol...
so many questions on a first atv!

also i am going to wait on a good fitment filter since i notice wen i went out on fri..
a few mud puddles that i hit sent mud all over the quad and a few drops made inside the airbox but not to the filter...and the box lid was cover in mud drops also..im really hoping for a k&N replacement filter

SSJEFF
02-25-2009, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by bpjr07
yeah that would be great!
need all the help i can get from this lol...
so many questions on a first atv!

also i am going to wait on a good fitment filter since i notice wen i went out on fri..
a few mud puddles that i hit sent mud all over the quad and a few drops made inside the airbox but not to the filter...and the box lid was cover in mud drops also..im really hoping for a k&N replacement filter

I would look at the EHS lid if I were you. It has the Outerwares built into it so it is water resistant. If you do not mind modifying things check this out.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg101/outlawjeff/08OUTLAW450MXR/Twin%20Air/P1010034.jpg

bpjr07
02-25-2009, 11:38 PM
yeah i know what your talking about..
so that will protect me from water and breath easy? i would just mod it myself there is a write up on how to do it..

i dont mind doing this mod at all but i was thinking i none wet conditions its just better to run with no lid. and i got the lid in case if i need it.

also on the other forum the engine one for all quads a guy called velocity and there said they are in the process of finishing a filter kit..and wont mind sending pics once done..

SSJEFF
02-26-2009, 04:14 AM
The EHS lid is like running no lid. If you have it jetted for no lid and put a lid on it will be rich. The stock lid kills airflow.

The mod I was talking about was making the Twin Air work with the stock filter cage.

Bradracer18
02-26-2009, 03:31 PM
I have it on my pred, and the power is much better than any other filter I have tried(and I honestly think its due to the length of the tube prior to the filter)....but I use Bel-Ray filter oil(its blue) and then throw an outerware over the top. The oil is the trick...that stuff is sticky! I go through mud or sand....and have not had a problem since got it prob in 05. And I have no deflector beneath it.

ROB450mxr
02-27-2009, 02:46 PM
The Velocity kit is done they just stated they don't have any pic's released of it yet...

SSJEFF
02-27-2009, 05:17 PM
The Velocity kit is done they just stated they don't have any pic's released of it yet...

They sent me pictures of it and it would be great for MX but not very XC friendly like the Rath. I want it sealed up really well.

ROB450mxr
02-27-2009, 05:34 PM
Is it cut the same way as the Rath Kit. Do you think either filter (Rath/Velocity) would fit without cutting the box or are both filters 2 big to fit without mods? I heard someone makes an aluminum box but I can't find it, you wouldn't happen 2 have the site for it do u?

walrusfarm
02-27-2009, 06:14 PM
I got the Twin Air about 6 months ago, and I love it. Other than the boot being a tad small (I did get it to fit) the fit is good. Seemed to give me better throttle response, and I was able to get my airbox sealed up good for XC racing. It's on a 525s by the way, and all in all I'm happy with it.

polfan73
02-27-2009, 08:04 PM
I just got the Twin Air also for my 525s. I really like it, and my quad is a little quicker as a result. I modified my airbox in a way that I can seal it up for harescrambles or open it up for mx. I don't have pics yet, but when I get some I'll post em up.

SSJEFF
02-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Is it cut the same way as the Rath Kit. Do you think either filter (Rath/Velocity) would fit without cutting the box or are both filters 2 big to fit without mods? I heard someone makes an aluminum box but I can't find it, you wouldn't happen 2 have the site for it do u?

The rath will not fit without cutting the back of the box out.

I think the aluminum box you are thinking of is a Rath Prototype that was on the site somewhere. I remember seeing the picture. If I make it to Georgia I will hit Daryl up to see whats going on with it. I have a feeling that it will be very expensive and there just is not any room to do anything.

I still do not know why the Carb has to go in the back of the jug, you would think that they would put them on the front with the exhaust out the rear since it goes there anyways. The carb and airbox could be put in the nose with a ram air type induction. for some reason the industry has never thought of this.

This is something I thought of a long time ago.

I would love to see how you guys go tthe Twin Air to work.

polfan73
02-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by SSJEFF
The rath will not fit without cutting the back of the box out.

I think the aluminum box you are thinking of is a Rath Prototype that was on the site somewhere. I remember seeing the picture. If I make it to Georgia I will hit Daryl up to see whats going on with it. I have a feeling that it will be very expensive and there just is not any room to do anything.

I still do not know why the Carb has to go in the back of the jug, you would think that they would put them on the front with the exhaust out the rear since it goes there anyways. The carb and airbox could be put in the nose with a ram air type induction. for some reason the industry has never thought of this.

This is something I thought of a long time ago.

I would love to see how you guys go tthe Twin Air to work.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Cannondale bikes set up that way with the intake in front of the jug, and exhaust out the rear?

SSJEFF
02-28-2009, 07:24 AM
I have never looked at a canondale lol. Maybe they are. They are bright if they are.

coalrat
03-01-2009, 12:31 PM
I think its the tube that is making them run better, Mine seems more forgiving if i am in to high of a gear lugging through tight spots.

bsmith106
03-02-2009, 07:32 PM
hey jeff i use to think the same thing about the carb and exhaust being the opposite of what they should. but the big problem with running the exhaust straight out the back is the shortened headpipes not to mention compromising the size of the muffler. Short pipes generally make good peak power but torque and throttle response suffers, and mufflers need to have a somewhat large volume to silence effectively without killing power, at least with current tech. and cannondales are front intake rear exhaust.

outlawjeff
03-02-2009, 07:42 PM
does the twin air fit on the irs without all those mods, and cutting the box?

jm812003
03-02-2009, 10:57 PM
SSjeff how does the quad run with the modded stock cage and filter. would a person be able to run the rath kit with a smaller clmp on filter so that you do not need to cut the air box? does anybody have any pics of twin air installed in machine. Thanks

SSJEFF
03-03-2009, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by bsmith106
hey jeff i use to think the same thing about the carb and exhaust being the opposite of what they should. but the big problem with running the exhaust straight out the back is the shortened headpipes not to mention compromising the size of the muffler. Short pipes generally make good peak power but torque and throttle response suffers, and mufflers need to have a somewhat large volume to silence effectively without killing power, at least with current tech. and cannondales are front intake rear exhaust.

I was wondering about the torque issue. If it were not for constant ideas like that, we would all still be living in caves.

bsmith106
03-03-2009, 05:03 AM
yeah i try not to get into {THE FACOTORY KNOWS ALL] nonsense. Lots of times i think the bean counters and lawyers have more say in the design process than the engineers and developement teams.

ROB450mxr
03-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Hey SSJEFF how is your Twin Air Filter holding up on the stock cage? Thinking bout trying it on mine cuz its a pain in the ... getting the Twin Air boot back on the carb. Also did you modify the factory boot any because that seems like it has alot of restriction to it also? W.V next month so I gotta figure something out soon. Thanks.

SSJEFF
03-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Hey SSJEFF how is your Twin Air Filter holding up on the stock cage? Thinking bout trying it on mine cuz its a pain in the ... getting the Twin Air boot back on the carb. Also did you modify the factory boot any because that seems like it has alot of restriction to it also? W.V next month so I gotta figure something out soon. Thanks.

I had a race today and that thing runs great, It was flying. I used the maxima oil and cannot figure out how to get it off of the filter though lol. I read somewere that some one liked it. I think it is great but I need something that will cut it without damaging the filter.

450+13.5 piston+ 8/06 cam+Twin Air filter+ no Lid/funrace filter over top= Ran like a cat with a fresh bb in its butt=FUN FUN FUN.

+Rekluse+clutch wiring mod=right there for the holeshot.

coalrat
03-16-2009, 08:52 AM
I know its not recomended to clean anything ,but i use gas, maybe try kero.
gas works for me ,and the glue that twin air has holds up well

OutlawBill
03-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Dawn dish soap

SSJEFF
03-16-2009, 09:02 AM
thanks guy!! I cannot wait to get that pipe Bill!!!! Have to get my header setup for a O2 bung and maybe get it ceramic coated.