PDA

View Full Version : Plush suspension??

NJQuads
02-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Hey guys,

First post but I have been reading threads here for a while now.
I have searched this and other forums but can't find what I am looking for. I have a few quads for the kids and I, but right now I'm needing help with my 02 400 EX.

The front shocks are killing me! The ride is so harsh and rough it wears me down quickly. I do not have a lot of money to spend on this project so i have read all of the 450R shock swap stories I could find.

I have a mechanic/welder friend that can fab up or help me install just about anything. I am looking for the PLUSHEST/CUSHIEST suspension set up for me.

I do sand pits/trail riding and weigh about 215lbs. I ride with kids alot so the pace is slower with short bursts of speed when I can. But the bumps and even tire grooves in the sand knock my teeth out . I have tried the stock shocks from soft to stiff, and I think they are just too clapped out to improve.

What used stock 450 shocks should I use to swap on the 400? I am leaning towards the YFZ shocks cause they come with dual rate springs and are supposedly very plush yet will take MX style riding. But I am leaning away from 450 shocks cause the springs are single rate and pretty harsh for trail riding.

What do you guys reccommend for me? I will eventually re do the stock rear shock as well.
Someone PLEASE share some advice with me. I know you guys know your **** here.

Thank you!!

Fred:mad:

supertrooper90
02-16-2009, 05:22 PM
I have stock a-arms on my 400ex and I bought a set of 450r shocks. They are really stiff with the compression set to the softest setting. I weigh 220lbs. I bought mine with the intentions to send my stuff out to gt thunder to get the conversion done. If your on a budget I would say stay away from the 450r shocks unless you plan on sending them out to get revalved. Thats the only experience that I have with any 450 shocks. I had a set of works a/t steelers triple rates and I liked them alot. That may be your best bet on a budget Try ebay. Where in N.J. are you I live up north.

gojk
02-16-2009, 05:35 PM
I think I would go with some Fox floats. IMO they are perfect if you are not wanting to race. You can make them soft and plush which is perfect if you are just out messing around.

NJQuads
02-18-2009, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I will steer away from the Honda 450 R shocks then as I suspected.

Anyone have thoughts on swapping YFZ shocks on the 400?

GOJK: How much do those shocks run? Are they adjustable and do they have resevoirs?

SuperTrooper: I'm up in Wayne but I rode mostly South NJ cause the sand pits are big and easy for the kids. The terrain that I have ridden on up here is way to hard for the kids.
PM me if you know of any trails up here that are easier and the kids can ride on.

Thank you!

Fred

gojk
02-18-2009, 11:40 AM
The shocks run about $600 or so for the set and they are adjustable. They are air shocks, so you add or remove air to your comfort level. Alot of the duners here run them because of their plushness. The sand gets pretty choppy at times.

NJQuads
02-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks bro....the Fox shocks sound great but I can't put that much $$ towards this bike right now. I have 2 smaller quads to get ready to sell, the truck needs new shocks...slicks for my car and I just spent another $100 on my son's Warrior.
It never ends LOL

I had seen YFZ shocks for about $150.....so it seemed like a smart move for the time being. In the future those Floats will be the ticket.

LOL I thought your sand was smooth and soft like ion the pics. Over here in Jersey it's a tight sand with hard pack underneath. If I blow a donut and ride through it, it hurts.
I never thought to ask you guys about a sand set up. It makes sense though....and if they work for you guys it will work for me!

gojk
02-18-2009, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by NJQuads
Thanks bro....the Fox shocks sound great but I can't put that much $$ towards this bike right now. I have 2 smaller quads to get ready to sell, the truck needs new shocks...slicks for my car and I just spent another $100 on my son's Warrior.
It never ends LOL

I had seen YFZ shocks for about $150.....so it seemed like a smart move for the time being. In the future those Floats will be the ticket.

LOL I thought your sand was smooth and soft like ion the pics. Over here in Jersey it's a tight sand with hard pack underneath. If I blow a donut and ride through it, it hurts.
I never thought to ask you guys about a sand set up. It makes sense though....and if they work for you guys it will work for me!

Keep an eye out on here and ebay. Used ones can be had in the $300-$400 range every once in a while. Front shocks will be the single biggest upgrade you do on the quad.

There are some in the for sale section for $500 OBO.

NJQuads
02-19-2009, 08:08 AM
Thanks bro...

I have been checking a few forums to see what's out there. I could also get a brand new set of Works triple rate piggy backs from a local custom race shop guy I met for $700. Again, it's a sweet deal, but I need some relief out of this thing asap.

I read up on the Floats last night....in the future I think that's the way I'm going.

Thanks again...

zyoung04
02-19-2009, 10:14 PM
i have ridden a 400ex with 450 shocks its a huge step up from the 400ex shocks but IMO i think the z400 or kfx 400 shocks are just as good if not better than 450r shocks i would say they would be lil bit easier on the pocket and easier to install i know with the 450r shocks u have to grind a lil to get them to fit i would say with the z400 shocks wouldnt have to do that because of where the rezzies are on the z400 shock

NJQuads
02-20-2009, 08:10 AM
Thanks ZYoung for that info. I will search for those as well. Hopefuly they have dual rate springs too! :cool: