PDA

View Full Version : Sparks timing key combatibility...

Sinister95Z
02-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Will a Sparks advance key work with an AMR CDI box?

I might be purchasing a AMR cdi box and need to know if the two will work together. I know the cdi box messes with the timing curve and that the sparks key advances timing 6 degrees. Will this create a problem?

rob_990
02-16-2009, 01:34 PM
i dont know about amr but my white bros rev box works fine with the key

blankenship
02-16-2009, 05:38 PM
well if i were you i would not run a sparks key and a rev box first i would check and see if the amr rev box changes the timing if so i should not use the amr rev box because then u will have a 12 degree timing advance and that is way too much advance unless u are running the most modded ex in the world

Bridgewater
02-16-2009, 06:40 PM
yes i am also interested in this..i was looking at the stage 3 amr rev box (1200+rpm)
http://www.just-add-dirt.com/store/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=64

Wheelie
02-16-2009, 07:03 PM
IMO--Stay away from the AMR rev box. I had one, it wouldn't idle correctly so I sent it back. The second one wasn't any better, after playing with jetting and plug gap--which both were affected by the rev box---I finally got it to run well. I removed the box after about a month anyway due to the engine turning over hard and rocking back when it was shut off. All the symptoms disappeared after the stock CDI was re-installed.

The AMR coil on the other hand is a nice piece and works great.

Bridgewater
02-16-2009, 07:08 PM
http://www.just-add-dirt.com/store/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=53
here is a link to the coil if u were maybe interested.
it does seem safer and says it still adds rpm increase.

Wheelie
02-16-2009, 07:12 PM
The coil does NOT raise the rev limit, it increases the spark energy and coil recovery time (the coil is a capacitor--this means it reloads its energy quicker). I noticed slightly better throttle response and a little more low end power with the coil.

Now that I'm running a E85 blend, I'm glad I bought the coil last year.

Sinister95Z
02-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Alrighty then. Sounds like the AMR might not be a good idea. I was going to pick up one of the coils while I was there, but I am trying to solve some issues with the bike and the manual says that the box might be faulty.

So the AMR was just a replacement idea. Maybe I will look into the Sparks CDI box instead.

bigbad400
02-17-2009, 07:57 AM
i was just at sparks racing.com and on the key it specificaly said it will work great with hi rev cdi's, sparks cdi also . i am waiting on my new amr cdi and coil(stg 2) and just got my sparks key in the mail yesterday so i was a little worried, but you should have to jet with any decent mod you install and plug gap will depend on jetting some too. my friends amr cdi without the coil works great with his sparks key, theres no timing advance it just remaps it to more powerful curve, and as far as i could tell none of the cdi's advance timing at all.

you should be fine as long as you jet with no matter what cdi you choose to get. my friend loved the power his cdi gave and i thaught it was well worth it too so i decided to get the combo on ebay for 100. ill let you know in a few days how well she goes.

650ex
02-18-2009, 07:42 AM
Think it would go well with a Big Gun Rev Box??

bigbad400
02-18-2009, 02:24 PM
i just got my amr stg 2 cdi and coil and installed them , and put a #42 pilot jet, on the first start, she fired right up, and seemed to idle kinda high so i tuned her down half a turn and she runs great, i definetly feel some low end power, almost as much of a gain as the sparks key alone, i was mighty impressed and as far as compatability, id say she works well with a sparks key.

the big gun rev box is just as compatable as any other, its the advance of the timing that worried us correct? well none of the cdis that i checked on (including big gun) does not advance timing at all. they only increase spark energy and remove the stock rev limiter up a 1000 rpm or more on some. no worries with the sparks key.

650ex
02-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Awesome... sounds like mine will be gettin one ;)...just wanted to check and make sure first.. you know how it goes.. but sounds like its a go.. so i see the " checkout " button on my screen in the near future ;)

grassman
02-18-2009, 08:01 PM
i would check out e-bay for a better price, they have amr coil and cdi combos at a decent price...

Sinister95Z
02-19-2009, 12:02 PM
I went ahead and ordered the Sparks Racing CDI box instead of the AMR. Since I was ordering the Sparks exhaust for my 400 anyways, I decided to just spend the extra money and get the box also.

honda400-4-ever
04-05-2009, 10:18 AM
how well will the coil and the key counteract???where do u install the coil and last do u have to rejet with them together

04-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by blankenship
well if i were you i would not run a sparks key and a rev box first i would check and see if the amr rev box changes the timing if so i should not use the amr rev box because then u will have a 12 degree timing advance and that is way too much advance unless u are running the most modded ex in the world

there is only 1 rev box I have found that advances to 6 degrees and that system is $530. Most rev boxes advance the timing 1 or 2 degrees. where you are getting 12 degree advance is beyond me

buster024
04-05-2009, 01:22 PM
I went ahead and ordered the Sparks Racing CDI box instead of the AMR. Since I was ordering the Sparks exhaust for my 400 anyways, I decided to just spend the extra money and get the box also.

Very nice.....let us know how that works out. Which model exhaust did you get?

I just got my bike back together last night. I'm pretty stoked that I was able to tear it down to frame and motor, polish and lube everything up ( I mean everything), and get 'er back together in under 2 weeks.....not to mention the wife letting me work on it for two weeks straight! I'm getting ready to drop in my Sparks timing key this afternoon. I've got a Big Gun Box, 450r carb, Yoshi full exhaust, but other than that, the engine is all stock. I'll post my thoughts hopefully in a bit!

Sinister95Z
04-06-2009, 12:14 AM
I have had the sparks key, cdi box and exhaust in for awhile now and have nothing but great things to say. I went with the Sparks X-6 Big Core stainless steel exhaust system. I figured that if I was going to spend some money on an exhaust, I might as well buy the best that I could afford.

The bike pulls extremely hard compared to stock and it sounds awesome.

I will have more to say as soon as I recover from this broken ankle. All the new found power got me into some trouble...lol.

Sinister95Z
04-06-2009, 12:16 AM
Also have a 450R carb sitting in the garage waiting to be installed. Just need to find the right size tap for the top vent tube and I am good to go. Should be done by this weekend.