PDA

View Full Version : Ticking sound, anyone wanna help?

God_Bot
02-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Now I've never gotten into the internals of my engine. '03 400ex by the way. I ride this quad daily to get to and from classes, street legal and licensed. Recently it's started this ticking noise when at idle that will sometimes go away after awhile, other times it'll start up without the sound then after a few high revs it will start ticking. Changed the oil/filter and air filter the other day and it isn't as noticeable now.

Anyone have any advise?
If it's something that I need to fix by going into the motor I have no problem provided I can find some sort of guide to follow.

YouTube upload-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHhLWKsyYsg

I am pretty sure the header is leaking, but I don't think that would cause a ticking sound to develop.

drew416ex
02-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Have the valves ever been adjusted? If not try that and see if it helps. There is a how to on here somewhere. If the header is leaking that can cause a pretty loud tick also.

God_Bot
02-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Not to my knowledge have the valves been adjusted, this was bought used back in '04 and then it never got more than 10-20 hours of ridding a year until school started this year so I'll look into that.

As for the headers leaking causing a tick... Hmm, trying to figure out how to word this. The tick that's coming from the engine comes from the front just like the leak sound, but is much higher pitched and only noticeable at idle which is what caused me to think it was something else.

Guess I get to see how well 6 year old bolts free up tomorrow.

tri5ron
02-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by drew416ex
Have the valves ever been adjusted? If not try that and see if it helps. There is a how to on here somewhere. If the header is leaking that can cause a pretty loud tick also.

my thoughts exactally.
also,...
when you changed the oil, did you drain BOTH the engine And the oil tank? (there is a drain plug for each), and if you didn't, then you actually only changed half of the oil.

if this is the case, then change it again, and drain from both plugs.

I'm suggesting this on the possibility that your oil had broke down to the point of causing the ticking to be so loud.
(Due to, you said it did improve somewhat, After you changed it)

sc400ex_rider
02-16-2009, 12:51 AM
heres the DIY link from the articles section at the top of the page.
http://www.atvriders.com/articles/valveadjustment400ex.html

God_Bot
02-16-2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks guys, I'll adjust the valves now in between classes, 4-5 hour break and I'll let ya'll know how that goes.

As for the oil, I did remember to drain both and it took near 2qts so I think that got most all of it.

God_Bot
02-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Okay guys, adjusted valves but the ticking has not changed. Any more ideas? I really prefer to do my own work as opposed to paying a shop.

rob_990
02-16-2009, 12:21 PM
your timing chains probably stretched its a common problem on many exs.replace it with a crf 450 one

God_Bot
02-16-2009, 02:43 PM
Thanks guys I'll looking into those suggestions when I get the chance.

Checked the nuts and they seem solid. For the timing chain will I lose oil in the process of checking it? As in should I go buy another qrt or two to replace spilled oil? If it turns out to be the crank rod just how much work am I looking at to fix that?

81 clark racing
02-16-2009, 03:27 PM
not to jack your thread but im having the same problem in my 05. mine sounds more like a knock sound. i just adj my valves and did an oil change 2. im thinking it could be the cam decompressor or what ever its caled? my buddies went and it sounds just like the problem ur having.

81 clark racing
02-16-2009, 06:48 PM
yea idk ive owned an 01 02 04 and a 05 and none of them have done this. my 04 is built up and dosent do it so idk