PDA

View Full Version : main bearing gone bad?

glamiskid395
02-15-2009, 07:21 PM
heres how it went down this past weekend at glamis.
my bike was running great, i was beating other 400s up the hills.
the last time i went up the hill, the engine had a funny sound, like the vaLVES were WAY out of adjustments. i got to the bottom of the hill, and was about to shut off the bike, and it just died. i didnt think anything of it, but when i went back to start it and leave, i had no spark! so my dad towed me back to camp with the sandrail. i was able to start it, being pulled, but it would not idle.

so i just got towed the whole way back.
when we got back, i stripped the fenders off to get to the plug, and i had NO spark, so we started to ohm out wires, and such to see what went bad. everything ohmed out fine, but could not get power to the coil, so we gave up at 7pm.
the next morning i went out to switch out stators cuz ive had this problem before with the aftermarket 200W stator. i got everything apart, and the stator was not bolted to the side case like it should be, the holes were elongated/stripped, a wire on the stator was cut, and bolts on the flywheel were ruined from the stator coming loose and rubbing on it.

i figured that something got between the flywheel and stator and caused it to elongate the bolt holes, and pull the stator out. but there was notheing broken.

my dad thinks that the main bearing went out, and caused the shaft to wobble, and that made the flywheel catch the stator and wreck the holes.

now i have a useless 200W stator and have metal shavings in the motor.

so my question is, could the main bearing have caused all this mess?
is it hard to replace the main bearing myself if its dead?

thanks
mike

sc400ex_rider
02-16-2009, 12:25 AM
was the big flywheel bolt loose letting it wobble? if not and you got the flywheel off grab the crank end where the bolt goes and try to wiggle it up and down if it has more than 1 MM of play there going out. if there is none or very slight play you might have left the stator bolts a little loose and they backed out letting the stator coil move around. you stated you were in there before thats all i can think of right now. LMK

glamiskid395
02-16-2009, 01:17 PM
i didnt try to wiggle the flywheel, and i cant do it right now, because it is packed away into the trailer.

i talked to a car mechanic that has rebuilt some of our sandrail motors and he said the bearing went out. the sound i heard was the bearing going out.

ill try and get the bike out soon, and check the wobble, and then get back to you.

dariusld
02-16-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by sc400ex_rider
you might have left the stator bolts a little loose

I'm going with human error. Your quad seems to new for the bearing going bad.

glamiskid395
02-16-2009, 10:59 PM
I checked if the flywheel wobbled and it didn't so I took it off to see if the bearing looked bad and it was fine.
I ordered a new case and gaskets and bolts today so they should be here Thursday or Friday and I will let you know if that fixed my problem.

Hopefully I can warrenty the 200w stator again cuz 3 wires got cut and the holes elongated.

sc400ex_rider
02-17-2009, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by glamiskid395
I checked if the flywheel wobbled and it didn't so I took it off to see if the bearing looked bad and it was fine.
I ordered a new case and gaskets and bolts today so they should be here Thursday or Friday and I will let you know if that fixed my problem.

Hopefully I can warrenty the 200w stator again cuz 3 wires got cut and the holes elongated.

sounds good buddy, stay on it!!!

glamiskid395
02-21-2009, 11:38 PM
got all the parts in yesterday and put it back together today!
had a little problem with the connectors, one got melted together from the aftermarket stator.

everything worked fine with the stock stator, and i lock tighted the bolts in this time.

only problem, the side case is no longer polished:mad: