PDA

View Full Version : Headlight lens removal?

tri5ron
02-15-2009, 04:19 PM
Is it possible to remove the clear headlight lenses from the headlight assembly?
Or are they glued on/into place?

I am toying with the idea of installing some strobes, and have a couple different ones in mind.
I would like to glue them into place, on the inside of the headlights, behind my "Mean Eyes" paint.

That way, the strobes would be hidden from view, and you wouldn't even know they were there, when not in use.

So can the clear lenses be removed from the headlight assembly, without damaging/breaking them?

billyboy93
02-15-2009, 04:42 PM
where did u get the strobes? where can u get them?wat color?

tri5ron
02-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by billyboy93
where did u get the strobes? where can u get them?wat color?
go look at ebay or pepboys and have a field day.

So has anyone tried to remove the clear lens sucessfully without damaging it?
Inquiring minds want to know.......

Pipeless416
02-16-2009, 11:34 AM
unfortunately they're glued on. i wanted to take off my lenses to clean them when i still had stock lights. somehow dust found its way in there..

NacsMXer
02-16-2009, 11:44 AM
You could TRY (and please take this with a grain of salt) putting them in an oven at a low temperature setting, to try and loosen the glue. You could also use a heat gun.

A lot of people that paint the plastic tailights in their cars use the oven method to separate the lens from the reflector housing.

blankenship
02-16-2009, 01:13 PM
yea an oven dont sound bad may even work car taillights are prolly dont quote me but prolly thicker than the ex headlight sooo what i could think is most hardware stores sells acetone (not sure if it spelled right) it will eat the glue and not harm the plastic a friend of mine used it to strip the paint off his blaster project that had 20 layers of paint on it and it did not harm the plastics it will basically disolve anything even your skin so where gloves