PDA

View Full Version : Shock Pre-load

rdsiler
02-15-2009, 12:03 PM
I just upgraded my 400EX front shocks to 450R shocks. I was wondering if I needed any pre-load. I weigh about 195 lbs. The shocks came to me with out any pre-load, I just didn't know if that is the factory setting or if the guy I bought them from took it all out.

jr4
02-15-2009, 12:16 PM
should have some but when you sit on the bike check the ride height from the frame to the floor below the foot pegs and in the front below the oil tank should be 1/4" higher in front

02-15-2009, 02:05 PM
I got some on the way. I been reading on how to adjust the shocks but still a little confused. What would I adjust to make them sit lower?

blankenship
02-15-2009, 03:49 PM
i dont want to steal the thread but i would like to know how to adjust preload to your weight for the 450r fornts and a stock rear i havent messed with it sence i bought the quad and it was a bigger guy who rode it

jr4
02-15-2009, 04:17 PM
To adjust ride height (sit lower) you adjust the treaded rings on the top of the spring but remember you have to have some tension on the shock spring.
blankenship you really don't adjust preload on compression adjustilbe shocks for your weight preload on these type of shocks is used for ride height if your ride height is right adjust the compression clockwise to make them stifer and counterclockwise to make them softer make sure you adjust the front shocks the same

02-16-2009, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by jr4
To adjust ride height (sit lower) you adjust the treaded rings on the top of the spring but remember you have to have some tension on the shock spring.

So I need to compress the spring then loosen the collar at the top? Whats the best tool/way to loosen the rings?

jr4
02-16-2009, 08:13 AM
You don't have to compress the spring just back off the preload rings and they do make tools check your local dealer or online (rockymountainatv)