PDA

View Full Version : oil leak from hole on 2005 450r

mkbruteforce
02-15-2009, 06:35 AM
I have little bit of oil coming from a small weep hole on the right hand side of engine block. Does anybody know what this is and is it OK? The hole is near the top of the cyclinder wall just before the valve cover.

Thanks
MK

2005 Honda TRX 450R

jr4
02-15-2009, 01:44 PM
It is a drain for the spark plug cavity if there is oil coming out there is a problem with the gasket on the valve cover at the spark plug tube

racernorris
02-16-2009, 08:19 AM
the oil is coming from one of the cam holder bolts, i have seen several do this, oil is pumped around this bolt to lube the cam, the head has developed a small crack in the bottom of the threads, that is directly above the weep hole for the spark plug drain.
the only way i have repaired this is to take the cam and holder out, clean the bolt hole out with carb cleaner, mix up some epoxy, heat it and pore it down the treads. problem is when you install the bolt back in the hole, it is not easy to remove the next time.

i have seen guy put jb weld in the weep hole on the side of the head, i don't know if the oil backed up into the spark plug hole!

anyway, the problem is not going to cause any major damage, it just looks bad, a little bit of oil looks like a lot. as long as you keep a close watch on your oil level nothing major will happen.

norris
quinn motorsports

mrkatt
02-28-2009, 10:53 PM
Hi,

I have a 04 trx250ex, with the same problem of oil leaking out of the cam holder bolts. I was told to unscrew it, put on a new o ring on the bolt and screw put it back together. have you head of this, is the crack visable?
1. Can I pull the bolt out as is from engine w/o screwing up anything, or do I need to pull head off.
2. to fix this leak, what would I expecy a shop to charge me?
3. Should I buy a new head, or is this an easy fix once head out?

Thanks,
Jason