PDA

View Full Version : Clutch problems

mikeminyard
02-14-2009, 09:03 PM
I have a 270PV that has developed a clutch problem. I have gone through three clutches in three rides. I will get it adjusted, and it will work well. Then at sme point in the ride it will stop workig and I will have to readjust to make it work. I do this a while and then it finally smokes it. I do have a new hinson basket and inner hub. The only thing not replaced is the pressure plate. Any ideas?

Honda 250r 001
02-14-2009, 09:15 PM
springs are not stiff enough i dont think. or your cable was improperly adjusted causing it to slip. what oil were u running?

jr4
02-14-2009, 09:23 PM
how many plates are you running should be eight with hnson clutch basket (most) not seven like stock

mikeminyard
02-14-2009, 10:12 PM
This is the 7-plate hinson. I had this problem before it though. It is intermittent. At one time I will have to adjust to give more play, then 5 minutes later I will have to adjust the other way. This happens a for about an hour of riding then the clutch gets smoked, and I replace it with new steels and fibers. I am using the tusk HD springs.

dunatic
02-14-2009, 10:17 PM
throw some washers under the springs so that they dont bind at full clutch pull.

that is as tight as you can make it with you setup.

the other thing to do is...........replace your fibers with new OEM ones (dont use aftermarket). Run the steels over some 200 grit sand paper in a circular motion. Then soak your fibers overnight in some Type F ATF....I use the same atf in my tranny all the time. Buy it from Napa and change it every other ride...its like $1.49 per qt. and thats all youll need.

jr4
02-14-2009, 10:48 PM
what year r is it ? also remove the clutch arm from the case where the cable attches and see if its worn out where the rod hits it to push the pressure plate

mikeminyard
02-15-2009, 08:45 AM
It is an 89. I will remove the arm when I get back home. Right now I am in the dunes until Monday night.

Gregjy
02-15-2009, 12:50 PM
This sound oh so familiar.... Let me know what you figure out... That is the same problem I have been having... I have a new Hinson basket now and just ordered new fibers, steels, and springs. Did an 89 update also. Lets hope we figure these out!!:confused:

dunatic
02-16-2009, 10:04 AM
Mike / Greg

When you guys are both back in town (at the same time) and you still need some help, shoot me a PM. I have a shop near the Aurora Airport with some land to "test ride". I have been working on and rebuilding/restoring "R"s now for over 15 years.

Together Im sure we can figure it out.

mikeminyard
02-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Well, I am going to try and find the time to bust into it tomorrow. What has me stumped is that it runs fine for about an hour then I have to add slack and remove it until ultimately the fibers get fried. I just can't figure out what would cause it to need to be adjusted both ways. I am going to look at the shaft and see what I can come up with. Maybe it is as simple as that I have been using aftermarket fibers and steels for the last 4 sets.

2-330s
02-16-2009, 09:06 PM
i had that problem using barnett clutches. went back to stock and no problems.

dunatic
02-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Ive tried just about ever clutch setup there is in the last 20 years.

After every failure, I go back to stock.

The only thing that is true to work every time and never fail is the Slingshot lock up. Never burn up another clutch again.

Gregjy
02-17-2009, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by dunatic
Ive tried just about ever clutch setup there is in the last 20 years.

After every failure, I go back to stock.

The only thing that is true to work every time and never fail is the Slingshot lock up. Never burn up another clutch again.

I have heard of the slingshot but who makes it and how much?

86 Quad R
02-18-2009, 09:48 AM
are you guys soaking the clutches prior to install? also have you inspected the basket and inner hub for knotching?

dunatic
02-18-2009, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Gregjy
I have heard of the slingshot but who makes it and how much?

Kevin Gigot, Gigot Racing

GIGOT RACING (http://www.gigotracing.com/)

dunatic
02-18-2009, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
are you guys soaking the clutches prior to install? also have you inspected the basket and inner hub for knotching?

you bet...soak the fibers in ATF for 24 hours before install

mikeminyard
04-25-2009, 07:18 PM
Well, I am dumb. I finally ordered all the parts and tore into the clutch again. This time I had the bright idea to take the pushrod and lifter out. I found tons of metal and fiber pieces that had been missed since the first clutch exploded. It looks like this was causing the clutch to hang up, and that is why it would have to be adjusted in both directions before it would finally fail.

I am taking it out for a test ride tomorrow, so we will see if this was truly the problem, but I am pretty sure it was.

Mike

mikeminyard
04-26-2009, 10:59 PM
Clutch seems to work well now. 1 tank of gas no adjustments needed.