PDA

View Full Version : ds 450x xc, yfz, outlaw 525 irs?

Soldier 425
02-14-2009, 08:05 PM
okkay recently i have been trying to think of an atv that would fit me best. I now have narrowed it down to be either the ds 450x xc, yfz, or outlaw 525 irs. I have riding all three and I am quite impressed with all of them. I want to use them to cross county race, perhaps gncc someday, and to go on the trails I ride now which for me I think every ride is a race. But anyway I was wondering what u guys thought about it since u guys rode them and have more experience then I do. If it helps I put ALOT of miles on them and pretty much ride all the time no matter what and I live in pa with bad winter like for cold not so much snow. soooo anyway thanks for your help

sheriff525
02-15-2009, 12:48 AM
I love my IRS. I think if I had a second quad. The ds and the yfzR look great. It would all depend on what you plan on spending to mod it for a racer?

The cheapest to me would be the DS, as it comes with almost everything for a xc race. The yfz would be a harder buy because it has no reverse, and personally after riding one. I happily got back on my 525. I would like to try the yfzR tho. The IRS would shine in the rough stuff and on hills and such but the only draw back is no fuel injection. but that is a matter of preference.

How much you willing to spend?

GE4x4
02-15-2009, 06:17 AM
I like the set-up of the DS450 as it comes race ready. The only thing that still concerns me is the clutch issue and the easy to overheat and jump into limp mode. They say the 09's clutch is better, but there has been no racing proof. The race team still puts a better clutch in. So if you spend near $9000, you should not need to fix the clutch. But other then that, the DS is a sweet package for the price. On a side note, the 09 IRS just won atv of the year for best trail quad.:D

bpjr07
02-16-2009, 01:08 AM
what do u mean not full injected? arnt the 08 outlaw 525 fuel injected?

birdman7389
02-16-2009, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by bpjr07
what do u mean not full injected? arnt the 08 outlaw 525 fuel injected?
None of the outlaws are F.I.

SSJEFF
02-16-2009, 10:39 PM
"On a side note, the 09 IRS just won atv of the year for best trail quad."

There is no way this came from dirtwheels. Everyone knows the 700r is the best quad in the world lol. This statement was a joke for the guys I chat with here by the way before I start a rucuss.

GE4x4
02-17-2009, 06:42 AM
Yey, it wasn't DW. LOL, I believe it was Allterrain mag that had it. The 850 was best in class for utility, the sp500 was best in class for value, and the 09 Outlaw IRS was best in class for trail.

mac75
02-17-2009, 06:49 AM
Find an yfz..not the yfzr... The yfz will be much cheaper to by and is race proven and parts are avaliable and cheap... But by no means is "ANY" stock quad race ready... Even the Ktm is not..just look at what everyone puts on them to race... No matter what you buy you need your suspension atleast revalved... stabilizer.. and so on.... The irs might not be the way.. Gallagher has lots of mods to race and he is one of the only ones competitive.....The straight axle polaris mx would be the way to go..better suspension

SSJEFF
02-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by mac75
Find an yfz..not the yfzr... The yfz will be much cheaper to by and is race proven and parts are avaliable and cheap... But by no means is "ANY" stock quad race ready... Even the Ktm is not..just look at what everyone puts on them to race... No matter what you buy you need your suspension atleast revalved... stabilizer.. and so on.... The irs might not be the way.. Gallagher has lots of mods to race and he is one of the only ones competitive.....The straight axle polaris mx would be the way to go..better suspension

The KTM and the ds450 are 2 quads that can be taken off the floor and raced competitivly IMO. All the other stuff is what you want. You can race a 450mxr off the floor also IMO, I have seen it done.

09 yfz is going for 7k here. That is pricey IMO.

scuzz
02-17-2009, 12:57 PM
I would go for the 525 IRS, but my only fear would be the CV boots tearing if you were going to be putting a lot of miles on them. I've seen a few reports of that here.

525 guys have any of you dealt with this?

birdman7389
02-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by scuzz
I would go for the 525 IRS, but my only fear would be the CV boots tearing if you were going to be putting a lot of miles on them. I've seen a few reports of that here.

525 guys have any of you dealt with this?

Not me....

SSJEFF
02-17-2009, 06:16 PM
I tore one boot, and that is when my rear bearings went out and the chain got into the boot. Since I updated the rear carrier I have had no such issues.

mac75
02-18-2009, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by SSJEFF
The KTM and the ds450 are 2 quads that can be taken off the floor and raced competitivly IMO. All the other stuff is what you want. You can race a 450mxr off the floor also IMO, I have seen it done.

09 yfz is going for 7k here. That is pricey IMO.

At what level have you seen these quads stock competitive.. I am sure there are people who can go fast on them ,but at what level..I have only seen a few people competitive on stock quads... And one was donny ockerman 3 yrs ago

and I said the yfz,, not the yfzR..

SSJEFF
02-18-2009, 07:03 AM
At what level have you seen these quads stock competitive.. I am sure there are people who can go fast on them ,but at what level..I have only seen a few people competitive on stock quads... And one was donny ockerman 3 yrs ago

and I said the yfz,, not the yfzR..

I know you said yfz...

The level at which I meant was not pro. I meant competitive in the B class and maybe A but I had not intention of starting a argument on here. Have you ever rode a KTM?

mac75
02-18-2009, 07:49 AM
everything but... I dont think there is a quad out race ready.. Bumpers nerfs and a tehther dont mean race ready.. No argument here.. Just reality... and experience...

Go to a race and look at c-class anymore.. Built quads with suspension..

SSJEFF
02-18-2009, 09:34 AM
everything but... I dont think there is a quad out race ready.. Bumpers nerfs and a tehther dont mean race ready.. No argument here.. Just reality... and experience...

Go to a race and look at c-class anymore.. Built quads with suspension..

Ohlins suspension already long travel 18", chromoly frame, engine that is very powerful, adjustable a-arms at the right width(unlike the yfz), Twin Air filter stcok, no mods needed to the induction system, razrs all the way around with douglas wheels, I am probably missing something. The can am has everything in cluding the nerfs. Your idea of race ready is Pro Quad ready in my opinion. yfz shocks have bladders in the ressis where the ohlins have pistons. they are way better quality shocks that come standard.

coalrat
02-18-2009, 01:38 PM
Look at most of the hard core trail riders that are just in for some good rides. Most of the ones i know(me included) puts way more money in there quads than really is needed. We laugh at some of them becouse a good kid on an 80 can blow them away,lol.

Its not the point of not being able to do well on a stock machine, its how much money we can invest it it.

Not sure if your got my point, just trying to say that some people mod there quads way beyond there ability to ride. And I will say that this is at the races also.

fasterblaster02
02-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by coalrat
Look at most of the hard core trail riders that are just in for some good rides. Most of the ones i know(me included) puts way more money in there quads than really is needed. We laugh at some of them becouse a good kid on an 80 can blow them away,lol.

Its not the point of not being able to do well on a stock machine, its how much money we can invest it it.

Not sure if your got my point, just trying to say that some people mod there quads way beyond there ability to ride. And I will say that this is at the races also.

i totally agree. you get caught up in looking at the mods the pros have and think you need them to ride fast where in reality you havent even used the full potential of what you have.

birdman7389
02-18-2009, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by coalrat

Nice post. I think my Outlaw is just going to get a slip-on, nerfs and some flexx bars if I can ever cough up the $$.
And a Trailtech too :D

mac75
02-18-2009, 09:10 PM
I get it,, Just the ktm and can am are not cheap... And you will still end up changing things... A simple revalve , like gt thunder or c&d makes all the difff

SSJEFF
02-18-2009, 10:18 PM
I get it,, Just the ktm and can am are not cheap... And you will still end up changing things... A simple revalve , like gt thunder or c&d makes all the difff

I agree. The KTM only really needs resprung I think though and the new end put on the rear. My shock guy, RocketRonRacing does a lot of them since he is a KTM guy. I have heard great things from C&D also.

As for the Can Am, someone just brought him one to do the suspension.

When he gets caught up he may tackle the IRS and we are going to go through my 450mxr Floats/Podium.

SSJEFF
02-18-2009, 10:27 PM
As for the Outlaw and mods, I really needed to narrow mine up. I was really having issues with trees. They do not move and I was trying to move them too often. It made a big difference when I got the Rath xc arms. I also got the Rath stem since it was so much beefier. The stock one doesn;t like trees either.

If you do not ride in really tight stuff then narrowing it will not matter. The motor is really powerful with even the stock exhaust. The gripper seat is really nice for the money. With arm pulling the power the seat helps you to stay on the quad and keep your arms from tiring.

I am a cheap guy, the Outlaw is the best bang for your buck IMO. Almost all my mods have a purpose. I did get a little crazy and get some filter and clutch covers. Almost all of my mods were bought used from Pros or a deal of some sort. I squeak when I walk!!