PDA

View Full Version : just installed stage 1 hotcam, valve train noise

ae13291
02-14-2009, 07:20 PM
hy guys i just finished installing my stage 1 hot cam into my 400ex. i adjusted the valves to .005 on the intake and.006 on the exhaust. i think this is a little more then the stock .004 intake and .005 exhaust. but in the hot cam install it says to make it .005and .006 i have been driving it very carefully around my neihborhood to break it in and being caefull not to let it idle. i also changed the oil and filter, but the valves are alot louder now. they are tickig very annoyingly. i also used the search function and people said it gets louder but i dont know how much louder. i also made sure to remove the decompression spring and pin. can somebody else with the same cam tell me if this is normal? thanks

Ruby Soho
02-14-2009, 07:28 PM
the aftermarket cam will make it loud. the 400ex is known for loud valves.

ae13291
02-14-2009, 07:39 PM
^^^ b4 my valves were ok they werent so loud, but i certenly wouldent say the 400ex is known to have loud valves

LBFD
02-14-2009, 07:46 PM
Like Ruby said, compard to other bike the ex has louder valve noise and by increacing it to .005 & .006 it is kinda loud, at low speed I can hear it over my hmf lol, but with a helmet its not so bad.

ae13291
02-14-2009, 08:08 PM
^^^^ you have the same cam right? so its normal to have it a bit loud? i just dont want to hurt my motor.

LBFD
02-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Hotcam stg 1 :D

ae13291
02-14-2009, 08:22 PM
i want to varify its not going to damage the rockers from excessive tapping. i guess i will take it to the local trails and fully break it in then adjust the valves again then i will be able to really push on the throttle

hypersnyper6947
02-14-2009, 10:40 PM
Just adjust your valves to hotcams specs and you should be good.

ae13291
02-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by sc400ex_rider
for breakin use the hotcam specs they are a little looser so there is pleanty of oil on it for breakin and you dont wipe the oil off the cam causing galling. then after awhile go back to the factory specs it will help. also make sure you have the top motor mount bolt in and torqued before you adjust the valves as this bolt dont seam to fit very well and jamming it in can cause the valve cover to flex a little and throw your valve lash out of spec. http://www.atvriders.com/articles/valveadjustment400ex.html

ok that sounds real good man you really helped alot. so i just came back from riding and i did break in the cam for 2 hours of soft alternating throttle and slow driving. after that i let it it completely cool down, and broke it in for 40 mins again soft riding and then completly let it cool down, and after that i was riding hard on it. so would you say it would be ok to run the stock valve lash? i would really llove to have the motor quieter lol.

ae13291
02-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by sc400ex_rider
actually no, i would ride it like that for about a month to fully break it in. there is a phosphate (antiware) coating on the cam lobes that has not even began to ware off. i rode mine for even longer. i know it sucs and is kinda embarrasing but it will pay in the long run. just run it on the weekends or a week strait even if you have to ride alone. when the coating is worn off and you reset them it will only be a little louder than stock. mine is and i have a very quite muffler. LMK

thanks alot dude, yea above what i said was done at the trails and b4 that i did about a good 2 hours of soft riding, so i did a total of like 5 hours b4 i drove kinds hard on it which is ok right? and i guess i will wait like another month will i reset the valve lash to stock. thanks alot tho man. i really love the power of this cam with my stock muffler, the timing key and the cam is a great combo!

sc400ex_rider
02-16-2009, 05:44 PM
ya its ok the three heat cycles just gets it ready for full throttle operation. thats how i did mine then i let her rip. ENJOY :D