PDA

View Full Version : fullflight +3 a-arms

extremeisaac
02-14-2009, 11:56 AM
can you use stock shocks with these? I am looking to widen and lower my 08 400ex a little.

Thanks

Pipeless416
02-14-2009, 11:59 AM
you will have major problems with bottoming out. if you do any sort of hard riding, i would look elsewhere. if you are looking to keep stock shocks, get +1s and no more. i tried stock shocks with my +2s just the the heck of it while my elkas where coming.. hardly any bottoming resistance at all. thats how frames crack.

extremeisaac
02-14-2009, 12:01 PM
its for my wife.. she doesnt catch any air at all..

BlaineKaiser450
02-14-2009, 12:10 PM
you would be okay if u dont ride hard at all. like anything other than flat trails. Other than that you would bend a arms or crack the frame

extremeisaac
02-14-2009, 01:12 PM
she just rides hollister and metcalf fire roads..nothing serious..she does ride pismo alot though but never catches air..just likes to cruise down sand highway

shawn3389
02-14-2009, 02:29 PM
so even with standard travel aarms they will bottom out? i was lookin at some they say to be used with standard shocks

NacsMXer
02-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by shawn3389
so even with standard travel aarms they will bottom out? i was lookin at some they say to be used with standard shocks

You might be a little confused. "Standard travel" means the arms utilize stock length shocks (around 16 inches long). "Long travel" means the arms use a longer shock than stock (around 19 inches long).

You need to use stock length shocks with standard travel arms, and long travel length shocks with long travel arms.

Both standard travel and long travel arms come in extended lengths (+1, +2, +3). Anytime you use extended (wider) A-arms, you want to use shocks that are properly set up for the length of arms they are mounted to.

Just because you have standard length shocks, mounted to standard travel arms, doesn't mean they won't bottom out. If you have +2 arms, you need shocks set up for +2 arms. If you have +3 arms, you need shocks set up to handle +3 arms...etc.

02-15-2009, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
you would be okay if u dont ride hard at all. like anything other than flat trails. Other than that you would bend a arms or crack the frame weird because my brother runs houser +2 std travel arms with stock shocks. and doesnt bottom out at all. and the shocks arent revalaved or anything. and when we did a rebuild on his r there wasent a single crack in the frame. ure fine with +2 arms.

Pipeless416
02-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by hondarider661
weird because my brother runs houser +2 std travel arms with stock shocks. and doesnt bottom out at all. and the shocks arent revalaved or anything. and when we did a rebuild on his r there wasent a single crack in the frame. ure fine with +2 arms.

stock 450r shocks are VERY different from stock 400ex shocks. in fact, you can almost see an improvement using +2 arms with stock R shocks.

dobber21
02-16-2009, 09:54 AM
i put plus 2 fullflights with stock R shocks and it made a huge improvement i way 250 pounds and i hang with all the 450s on the track