PDA

View Full Version : Youth ATV Racing in jeopardy???

DAVYS DAD
02-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Everybody go to this site and tell anyone you know to help out...

http://www.atvmotocross.com/articles/910_youth-racing-jeopardized-act-now

Logan #34's Dad
02-14-2009, 04:36 AM
Hey Guys, All you gotta do is follow the instructions and it goes right to YOUR representatives. Once your address is entered the pre-written e-mail is sent to them. Slick!

DAVYS DAD
02-14-2009, 05:35 AM
lets all step up and make a difference

skyeryder
02-14-2009, 09:51 AM
I think I've sent 10 of these now, we all need to get as many people as possible on board. I'm gonna take this to work hopefully some of them will fill it out(700 employees). I'd like to see these congress guys tell my boy on March 21st there won't be a race..... I think I'd let him kick them in the #%$&!!!!!

DAVYS DAD
02-15-2009, 06:24 AM
i hope everyone that has read this thead went to the sight and did there part. next thing you know my kids wont be able to go fishing or hunting because of lead:confused: when will all the BS end??!!!!

QuadJunkies
02-15-2009, 10:30 AM
EVERYONE in my house has and I encourage EVERYONE to get involved in this .MYspace,facebook coworkers.. everyone!
The future of our Sport depends on it.

Im sure others have thought this too but can you imagine how much the injuries are going to INCREASE now if this stays this way?

mecheech
02-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Our household has filled it out and I posted it on another site for racers.

Pittraffic (http://pittraffic.com/thepit/viewforum.php?f=31)

mudder700
02-15-2009, 02:13 PM
I know this is not a joking matter, and I have sent letters already myself, but maybe if we promised to not let our kids lick the rims, they would allow us to continue racing, honestly, what are they thinking, just about everything can contain some amounts of lead or other bad materials, should we not let children enjoy life altogether or what, I am so sick of this crap, when is enough going to be enough..Majority wanted change and it is going to change, probably not for the best though....Just had to vent....I am frustrated with this nonsense!!!!!

wileeviper
02-16-2009, 04:10 PM
O.K. will do.

wileeviper
02-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Here are a couple of numbers of representatives you may call and leave messages, as well as, the letters.

Bart Stupak 202-225-4735
John Dingell 202-225-4071

The next numbers are for the officials of the Consumer Product Safety Commission

Nancy Nord 301-504-7901
Thomas Hill Moore 301-504-7902
Patsy Semple 301-504-7907

I have left them ALL messages urging them to grant the petition for temporary exclusions submitted by the snowmobile, ATV and off-highway motorcycle industries, regarding this new ridiculas lead level legislation

wileeviper
02-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Thanks Davys Dad for getting this thread started.

quadscrib
02-16-2009, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by mudder700
I know this is not a joking matter, and I have sent letters already myself, but maybe if we promised to not let our kids lick the rims, they would allow us to continue racing, honestly, what are they thinking, just about everything can contain some amounts of lead or other bad materials, should we not let children enjoy life altogether or what, I am so sick of this crap, when is enough going to be enough..Majority wanted change and it is going to change, probably not for the best though....Just had to vent....I am frustrated with this nonsense!!!!!
Well the nation (NOT ME) just voted in more of this crap so everyone just wait... remember we aren't smart enough to make these decisions for ourselves now... more is on the way just wait!
Im in Michigan and our like minded governor is "blowing us away"
with such crap already. More is to come...wait till we have to register ammo.....

mudder700
02-17-2009, 11:43 AM
quadscrib, that is exactly what I was referring to, these people voted in the new "president", not me either, and now are going to cry that changes are being made...Load up on ammo, thats all I can say, pretty soon, you won't be able to buy it, as the price will be too high or not available, at our local walmart store, their shelves are almost empty on guns and ammo, they say they get it from the manufacturers, how come we hadn't heard of this "ban" until now, it passed last year ?I really don't like the way this is all looking for us guys, lets just hope and pray that they listen to our leters and phone calls

backinsaddle
02-17-2009, 03:18 PM
what does the new president have to do with this? This was signed last year under Bush

Ride1Rob
02-17-2009, 04:19 PM
quadscrib, that is exactly what I was referring to, these people voted in the new "president", not me either, and now are going to cry that changes are being made...Load up on ammo, thats all I can say, pretty soon, you won't be able to buy it, as the price will be too high or not available, at our local walmart store, their shelves are almost empty on guns and ammo, they say they get it from the manufacturers, how come we hadn't heard of this "ban" until now, it passed last year ?I really don't like the way this is all looking for us guys, lets just hope and pray that they listen to our leters and phone calls

lol For your info, (BUSH) your old President signed off on this bill. ;)
Some of you guys are horrible :ermm: . Did you know that part of his stimulus bill is for allocating more land for off road vehicles? Damn that Obama lol.

mudder700
02-17-2009, 04:59 PM
I am not saying that the new president had anything to do with this bill,I am just stating that the majority of the people wanted change and now it is coming, so don't cry if you voted for change, I don't want this to end up about our personal views, we really need to keep it focused on getting this bill reversed, this is about the kids and racing.....

Ride1Rob
02-17-2009, 06:36 PM
From what I read you simply stated "these people voted in the new "president". Your comments exactly. And you're right! It's about the kids so that's something you shouldn't have brought up.

Myself, I don't see kids/youth riding in jeopardy. The ATV's that our kids are continuing to race are the bikes that are taking the proper steps to make sure our kids stay on the track by meeting the new requirements. I haven't seen many Yami, Kawi, and Zuk youth quads on the track racing. I think Honda has slapped their customers in the face for not stepping up to the plate like DRR by doing what it takes to keep their youth racers on their products.

QuadJunkies
02-17-2009, 07:24 PM
Did APEX Comply?? I thought they said they did but I wastn 100% sure on that.

Ride1Rob
02-17-2009, 07:48 PM
Apex is good! And seems to me that the war on this is being won :D .

http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews/Dealer+Expo+2009+--+Sunday/CPSC-Approves-Sale-of-Units-for-12--to-15-year-old/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/581617?contextCategoryId=47749

QuadJunkies
02-17-2009, 08:42 PM
I read that ,that is good news!

Wolfson said the agency is reviewing situations based upon child safety factors, the law as it’s written, and priorities and resources within the agency.

IF they want these kids to remain safe ,taking away the 50cc and 70cc mini are NOT the way to do it, you wil only see the injury and fatality rates go UP. Kids who have rode since childhood statistically would have to show safer riders in the Junior youth and into adulthood....Educating riders early in life means less needless injuries.
As for the lead... how many other things can you think of that kids touch daily that involves lead? Are we not going to take our kids fishing anymore? What about our everyday form of transportation that they spend more time in than a mini??

“The industry needs to settle down,” he says, “and give the agency the appropriate amount of time to review the petition and make sound decisions that will benefit everyone in the marketplace.”

Settle down?? Last I checked they just shook up a hornets nest that could cost some serious financial problems for the industry!
This all come about at the WORST time with all the economy issues we are having.
This is also effecting all the competition who races in the youth ranks who has ALOT of money rolled into the 2009 racing season.
Who ever classified these as "toys" should have there *** kicked.
Last I checked I couldnt by a quad at my local toy store. :rolleyes:

I simply cannot imagine what the future holds not having the wee ones out there with us .
Our Youth is where it starts and we all build such fond memories of all the adventureswe all share as families with our children for generations to come.
It will be s sad day indeed if it all comes to an end :(
As far as I am concerned, it wont, because I am doing my part and voicing my opinionand I prey my voice DOES make a difference!!
I sent off 4 letters today and Im not done yet!

Ride1Rob
02-17-2009, 09:21 PM
You're exactly right and I don't think they knew that they were going to stir up a hornets nest like you said. It seems that they're getting flooded with complaints from citizens and dealers together. My thinking is that the law will be rewritten to not include youth atv's and dirtbikes and such.

Logan #34's Dad
02-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Ya know something fella's IF these companies would have not ignored the warnings and paperwork sent to them OR kept up on the news that pertains to their industry, that I'm SURE they got, we would not be having this problem. Obviously it was known or companies like DRR and Apex would not be compliant now. Just like us Americans to be reactive instead of proactive. Lets wait for the problem instead of attacking it before it happens. We might just offend someone! God forbid.
Sorry, bout my tirade, But I'm in Law Enforcement and I deal with this type of thinking daily. "You should lock-up them kids" Unless it's my kid. OR write a D.U.I. to someone and I'm the biggest as*hole on the planet BUT when that drunk driver kills a family - We are not doing our job cause I did not catch him. I could go on and on.
Rocky

QuadJunkies
02-18-2009, 10:09 AM
Heres a letter response from the Idaho St. Senator Mike Crapo:

Thank you for contacting me regarding certain provisions in the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA). I appreciate hearing your thoughts and welcome the opportunity to respond.

As you know, CPSIA mandates that children's products with more than 600 parts per million (ppm) of lead cannot be sold after February 10, 2009, and that level will be reduced to 300 ppm on August 14, 2009. This law is retroactive and applies to all items currently in inventory, and requires that domestic manufacturers and importers certify that children's products made after February 10 meet these safety standards, though certification requirements do not apply to sellers of used children's products. On January 30, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) issued a one year stay of enforcement for the testing and certification requirements.

As you are aware, some small business owners have voiced concerns about financial impacts of these requirements, particularly with regard to the costly certification requirements and the prohibitions on selling anything in inventory that exceeds the lead limit. While I support this legislation and its objectives, some of these concerns do warrant further examination. As such, you may be interested to know that I recently sent a letter to Senator John Rockefeller (D - West Virginia), Chairman of the Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation, and Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison (R - Texas) Ranking Member of the Committee, requesting that they convene hearings to examine these concerns as soon as possible. Furthermore, you may be interested to know that I am a cosponsor of S. 374, legislation that would, among other things, block the retroactivity requirements and impose a six month delay on implementation of these provisions.

I am committed to protecting the health and safety of Americans and support efforts to enhance the safety of consumer products on store shelves. At the same time, it is important that we target our efforts toward the most effective ends and work with all involved to minimize any unintended impacts of these enhanced measures. Please rest assured that I will continue to work vigorously to ensure consumer safety without compromising the well-being of American small businesses.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please feel free to contact me in the future on this or other matters of interest to you. For more information about the issues before the U.S. Senate as well as news releases, photos, and other items of interest, please visit my Senate website, http://crapo.senate.gov.

Sincerely,

Mike Crapo

United States Senator

mudder700
02-18-2009, 11:53 AM
Ok, here is a question that needs an answer, even if DRR and Apex have risen above this law,which is great, The problem we are facing is that the tracks will not be able to stay open without the entire mini races, bikes and quads, 63% of the local business at our local tracks come from mini quads and mini bikes and parents, with out them it will be a lost cause...Unadilla racetrack in upstate , New York, sent out an email to its customers that stated they would have to close if something doesn't change, now this is a National track that is known world wide and they are affected by this,so I think it does affect us all, even if we own an Apex or a DRR,correct?

QuadJunkies
02-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Ok, here is a question that needs an answer, even if DRR and Apex have risen above this law,which is great, The problem we are facing is that the tracks will not be able to stay open without the entire mini races, bikes and quads, 63% of the local business at our local tracks come from mini quads and mini bikes and parents, with out them it will be a lost cause...Unadilla racetrack in upstate , New York, sent out an email to its customers that stated they would have to close if something doesn't change, now this is a National track that is known world wide and they are affected by this,so I think it does affect us all, even if we own an Apex or a DRR,correct?

I would have to say you are correct. Even though a few brands are not effected ,it still have a huge impact on everyone.

quadscrib
02-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Please all help me understand. Does this deal meen that kids cant race these products or just that they cant be sold right now? Noone has made this point clear. Can I but a DRR or APEX today if I wanted?

Ride1Rob
02-20-2009, 09:39 AM
THIS IS NOT going to affect the tracks. If you have purchased any mini before Feb. 10th they are exempt from the new law and the tracks are permitted to continue to race these bikes. If a track shuts mini races down that is solely on their own descretion. Neither riding a previously purchased motorcycle/quad nor promoting a race that includes those motorcycles is included in the list of the new law.

Prohibited Acts (§216). Section 216 of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement
Act (CPSIA) increases the scope of acts prohibited under CPSA §19 (codified at 15
U.S.C. §2068) by adding new prohibited acts and by expanding the application of
existing prohibited acts. The additional or amended prohibitions include

1) the sale, manufacture, distribution, or importation of a product regulated by the CPSC
that does not comply with an applicable consumer product safety rule under the CPSA or
any similar rule, regulations, standard or ban under any other act enforced by the CPSC
[prohibition extends to products regulated under other acts such as the FHSA];

2) the sale, manufacture, distribution, or importation of a product that is the subject of a
voluntary corrective action and recall of which either the CPSC has notified the public or
the seller, distributor, or manufacturer knew or should have known;

3) the sale, manufacture, distribution, or importation of a product that is the subject of a
CPSC order for a recall or corrective action or a court order declaring an imminent
hazard;

4) the sale, manufacture, distribution, or importation of a banned hazardous substance,
meaning a children’s article or toy which is a hazardous substance or which contains a
hazardous substance accessible to a child;

5) failure to furnish a required compliance certification or issuance of a false compliance
certification under any act enforced by the CPSC, including failure to comply with
requirements for testing, certification, and tracking labels for certain children’s products;

6) sale, importation or distribution of a consumer product bearing a false safety
compliance certification mark;

7) misrepresentation to CPSC officers/employees of the scope of products subject to
recall/corrective action or a material misrepresentation in a CPSC investigation;

8) undue influence of a third-party laboratory with respect to testing a product for
compliance with safety standards under any act enforced by the CPSC;

9) the export for sale of any consumer product or substance regulated by the CPSC
(except for the re-export of a product denied importation into the United States) that is
the subject of a voluntary corrective action, a CPSC order for a recall or corrective action,
a court order declaring an imminent hazard, or that is a banned hazardous substance
(meaning a children’s article or toy which is a hazardous substance or which contains a
hazardous substance accessible to a child); and

10) violation of a CPSC order prohibiting an export under new subsection 18(c) of the
CPSA.

MXfun
02-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Just stopped by our local dealer for Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Polaris. All mini bikes and mini quads off the floor. Strange looking:ermm:

QuadJunkies
02-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Thats good to hear about the tracks , I too wondered about this myself, it wasnt sounding good after reading the Unidilla MX letter..
But what good will that do if you cant get replacement parts and riding gear?
So many unanswered questions and I have a feeling we arent going to get them all for awhile.

quadscrib
02-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Thats good to hear about the tracks , I too wondered about this myself, it wasnt sounding good after reading the Unidilla MX letter..
But what good will that do if you cant get replacement parts and riding gear?
So many unanswered questions and I have a feeling we arent going to get them all for awhile.

Riding gear?

wileeviper
02-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Logan #34's Dad
Just like us Americans to be reactive instead of proactive. Lets wait for the problem instead of attacking it before it happens. We might just offend someone! God forbid.
Sorry, bout my tirade, But I'm in Law Enforcement and I deal with this type of thinking daily. "You should lock-up them kids" Unless it's my kid. OR write a D.U.I. to someone and I'm the biggest as*hole on the planet BUT when that drunk driver kills a family - We are not doing our job cause I did not catch him. I could go on and on.
Rocky

O.K. Logans Dad, you can blame the manufacturers (and American thinking) if you like, but that does not excuse the stupidity in the legislation, does it?

wileeviper
02-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Quadscrib, I too am curious about the "riding gear". I did hear this mentioned by a motosport dealer, and I should have clarified what he mean't. Has anyone else heard about gear being limited?

Logan #34's Dad
02-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by wileeviper
O.K. Logans Dad, you can blame the manufacturers (and American thinking) if you like, but that does not excuse the stupidity in the legislation, does it?

I agree that the legislation is flawed some BUT RULES ARE RULES. We all rebell against rules but there is a reason for this: to protect our children from the CRAP coming from overseas. Ya know, If the manufacturers would just have began using comliant paint and products when the legislation came across their desks then they'd be good to go now.
Understand this, I also think this law had too wide of a stroke and I think that they should have kept current stock out of the law. And I'm sure there are the conspiracy theriosts out there that believe the government has something to gain from all this.:ermm:
I've sent all the letters and e-mails as well.

QuadJunkies
02-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by quadscrib
Riding gear?

they say that all the youth gear will not be avail. topurchase either to the youth riders in the ages they are directing this all to.This supposedy includes all gear . I jut watched a video on the news that a guy at his shop was told to pull all his youth gear.

Kids BMX with this stuff too so Im curious how they are going to do that.

quadscrib
02-20-2009, 01:33 PM
WTF? Riding gear? Is there $$%^ing lead in that too? This so so lame. I don't want my kids to ingest anything harmful, in fact I leery bout them breathing 2-stroke exhaust but this is asinine. I can understand some of this...."on paper" but gear? Very lame.

kris32775
02-20-2009, 03:45 PM
I just bought youth gear 4 days ago. i call bull sh....

mini racer #39
02-20-2009, 04:37 PM
I was told that if we were going to buy any gear for Erik we better do it NOW!!! The haven't lead tested the fabric and dyes, also the thread has to be tested...This whole thing is like a bad dream!!! Its crazy that if you want to buy your 5 year old an atv now you have to buy the at least a 250!!!!Looks like they better start making a new class for 5 year olds with 250's and 300's!!!

DAVYS DAD
02-20-2009, 05:26 PM
with all the lead BS going on i guess i will buy my boys some whiteout and pens so they can safely do there school work!!!!:confused:

srxmiller
02-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Can't wait untill big daddy government gives all of us our health coverage, I am sure that will work perfactly. there's only been two time that I had to tell the boy to stop licking his quad.:devil:

ewathen
02-20-2009, 06:02 PM
I think you all are getting caried away. This has to do with lead content, not just the atv industry. Why would the have to test riding gear and not every other article of childs clothing? why would there be lead in riding gear anyway? people need to start to think about what they are saying instead of getting everyone into a panic.

Eric

Ride1Rob
02-20-2009, 06:39 PM
Think they did say riding gear as well... Not sure though. But there are wayys around that for now :devil:
http://shop.ebay.com/items/__youth-mx_W0QQ_frsZ1QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em359

Also, in terms of parts... My son rides an Xtreme 125. That bike is for a 16yr old :devil: . But depending on the 16yr old that'd be like Shaq riding my YFZ. I got for him bc it fit him a year ago and I knew it was something he'd grow into. Remember, as of now the new law states 85cc and under. Sometimes you have to think outside the box ladies and gents :D .

mini racer #39
02-20-2009, 07:51 PM
I was told that they are testing for lead in EVERYTHING that has to do with kids 12 and under. Our local Walmart has been pulling items from their shelves. Even consignment shops are having to check toys and other things on a list before they can sell anything! When I spoke with our local dealership this week they told me that they ARE having trouble getting gear in their shops now because they haven't been tested for lead. There are certain dyes in the clothing that apparently can contain a lead base. So i am not over exaggerating. This will hopefully end soon, but I for one have my doubts.

Bobbie

QuadJunkies
02-21-2009, 12:17 AM
Im not panicking, Im just in total shock of how all this has come about .I think as many people that is aware ,the better. I just dont get why all this hasnt been address and maybe even resolved before coming to this.This does put a damper on our youth riders,these kids dont unerstand all the BS that goes on behind the scenes. Panick for me would start to kick in when things ended up this way and we started seeing young kids riding on machines they have no business being on.

IS there ANYTHING that we buy today from China something that doesnt contain lead?!!
Isnt alot of the gear we buy made there too?
IF clothing somehow was to contain lead, then I for one can understand the cause for concern, I would not want my kids wearing gear that contained lead, but the rest of this with the bikes ,mini ATV's ect.. is whats just beyond me.We have alot of good organizations out there that are going to bat for everyone to try and do everything they can to save the sport.Its the "other " yahoos "I worry about that come with this stuff.

Im sure this is going to take some time to resolve, but a part of me really has faith that this will all get sorted out ,its just sad its come to this before all the action took place . This is going to hurt so many peoples buisnesses even if its only for a short period. This is gearing up for the prime riding season right now and I only prey for the sake of our youth and our sport they look long and hard before making the final decision.

mxmomma159
03-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
From what I read you simply stated "these people voted in the new "president". Your comments exactly. And you're right! It's about the kids so that's something you shouldn't have brought up.

Myself, I don't see kids/youth riding in jeopardy. The ATV's that our kids are continuing to race are the bikes that are taking the proper steps to make sure our kids stay on the track by meeting the new requirements. I haven't seen many Yami, Kawi, and Zuk youth quads on the track racing. I think Honda has slapped their customers in the face for not stepping up to the plate like DRR by doing what it takes to keep their youth racers on their products.

*Clapping hands* couldn't have said it better! As of right now, DRR is in compliance with the lead level stipulations. I don't know about many other companies, I know APEX is absolutely not in compliance. We have followed all the given links and signed all the potitions and called our state reps, hope they help keep what we love alive.

mxmomma159
03-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by ewathen
I think you all are getting caried away. This has to do with lead content, not just the atv industry. Why would the have to test riding gear and not every other article of childs clothing? why would there be lead in riding gear anyway? people need to start to think about what they are saying instead of getting everyone into a panic.

Eric

I don't think the panic is as much about the clothing as it is the parts, machines, and over concept that it ban is concerning children under 12. I for one have three kids, two race that are 7 and 5 and they would NEVER put this stuff in their mouths. Not to mention, I AM in a panic about what measure people will take if they can not get the machines and parts that are specifically for their children.

tntauto1127
03-01-2009, 02:35 PM
I think all of us older people used to each lead based paint and chew on lead pencils when we were kids. We all turned out fine. Well maybe some of us.:rolleyes: :blah: I think tree huggers and some government people are out of control. Just my 2 pennies.