PDA

View Full Version : Come on guys, give me some opinions on my new job.....

scottwvu
02-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Just the facts:
I have a degree in Psychology. Have been working for an assessment company (midnight shift) for about 6 years. I make around $70,000 a year.

I was offered and accepted a job at the local Yamaha dealership making $10.00 an hour for parts/ service. I also get to sell sport quads and get a commission on what I sell.

I am ONLY doing this as a SECOND job. My career comes first.

I just love being around/ talking about/ working with quads. My friends think I am insane, and my fiancee keeps shooting me dirty looks.

Although I would have sodomized a goat when I was 18 for this job, I still can't help but see this as a dream come true, even though I am now 30.

Am I right to take the job, or am I being immature?

chadbarger18
02-13-2009, 04:44 PM
man if you love quads that much and its just a second job and you can handle workin 2 jobs then go for it if you dont like it or something you could always just quit

Motoracer13
02-13-2009, 05:49 PM
Some people dream of being pro racers. Most people pay to ride and race for enjoyment. If your doing something you enjoy AND get paid for (even if its not much) sounds like a winner to me. Tell your fiancee that your just trying to get some cash saved for a great honeymoon and the looks of anger will disappaer when she turns out the lights;)

BlaineKaiser450
02-13-2009, 06:10 PM
id definatly take the job

csr250r
02-13-2009, 06:52 PM
I think that you should do what makes you happy and feels right, if you love quads and you enjoy going to work everyday, it seems like a good deal you got going on.

tri5ron
02-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Take the job and enjoy it while you still can.

It's sort of like fulfilling a small fantasy, and you'll have a blast doing it, especially since you are doing it by choice, and not having to depend on it for your sole income.

now all that being aside,....
and since I am your very bestest friend on the whole planet,......

will you please send me a nice set of Hipers, wrapped with some Kenda Knarlys ????

wvspeedfreak
02-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Just do it :p It sounds like you really enjoy it and having a job (even a 2nd job) that you really like means alot.

derekhonda
02-14-2009, 06:27 AM
You're the psychologist, analyze yourself!

Haha, but no for real, your fiance is probably looking at this as an excuse to not be around her/the house after your original job. If you like it, stick it out.

yam450_53
02-14-2009, 10:00 AM
As the others said, I think if you can manage both and keep everyone happy you should definitely go for it.

Quad18star
02-14-2009, 10:25 AM
I've worked at dealerships in the parts department ... it's not all that it's cracked up to be. It has actually turned me off a bit from the sport. It's fun for the first little while but after some time , if you're like me, you'll get tired of it.

Like they say , when your passtime becomes your job, it's no longer a passtime.

Aceman
02-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Clearly, I think the biggest issue is what you're fiancee thinks of it. You definitely need to find a happy medium. Seems to me that getting a second job when you already make plenty is saying you would rather spend time at work than be with your future wife. I realize you don't look at it like it's work, but rather something fun to do, but is that worth having a bitter fiancee? You're a psychologist, maybe it's time you and your lovely had a session to talk about your feelings.;)

Also, from your post it sounds like you didn't talk it out with her first. That, I would consider to be immature and selfish. After all, she deserves to be part of the decision making process.

CaptainCanuck
02-14-2009, 05:55 PM
He never mentioned he was a psychologist. He'll only mentioned that he had a degree in psychology (which is most likely a BA). In order to become a psychologist, you need a minimum of a Masters Degree in Counselling or a DR (depending on where you live).

It's a sore spot for me because I'm taking psychology as well and people always call me a psychologist when I'm not and never will be.

scottwvu
02-15-2009, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by CaptainCanuck
He never mentioned he was a psychologist. He'll only mentioned that he had a degree in psychology (which is most likely a BA). In order to become a psychologist, you need a minimum of a Masters Degree in Counselling or a DR (depending on where you live).

It's a sore spot for me because I'm taking psychology as well and people always call me a psychologist when I'm not and never will be.

Hit the nail on the head.

scottwvu
02-15-2009, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I've worked at dealerships in the parts department ... it's not all that it's cracked up to be. It has actually turned me off a bit from the sport. It's fun for the first little while but after some time , if you're like me, you'll get tired of it.

Like they say , when your passtime becomes your job, it's no longer a passtime.

I am discovering this to be somewhat true already. There is actual WORK involved at times.:D

For example, I work at a Yamaha-Polaris dealership. The program they look parts up on is called "lightspeed", and can be quite complicated at times. For instance, when looking up a part for Yamaha, everything is listed in alphabetical order, while Polaris lists their parts from the front of the quad to the back:confused: .

Couple that with the fact that half of the parts look-up system is manual, and the inventory lists are the EXACT same as they were when the shop opened in 1955!!!!! (We are the oldest dealer in West Virginia). Look at me....biitching already!

You should check out the owner's collection of Indian motorcycles. He has like, 50!!!!:D

Quad18star
02-15-2009, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by scottwvu
I am discovering this to be somewhat true already. There is actual WORK involved at times.:D

For example, I work at a Yamaha-Polaris dealership. The program they look parts up on is called "lightspeed", and can be quite complicated at times. For instance, when looking up a part for Yamaha, everything is listed in alphabetical order, while Polaris lists their parts from the front of the quad to the back:confused: .

Couple that with the fact that half of the parts look-up system is manual, and the inventory lists are the EXACT same as they were when the shop opened in 1955!!!!! (We are the oldest dealer in West Virginia). Look at me....biitching already!

You should check out the owner's collection of Indian motorcycles. He has like, 50!!!!:D

Yamaha has the worst parts look up in the world. I worked at a Yamaha dealership for a few weeks before I couldn't stand it anymore. The dealership dealt with the atvs, dirtbikes, street bikes, cruisers ,sleds and they carried 5 different lineups of boats ( Lund, Bayliner, G3 and 2 pontoon lineups). I was as confused the last day I worked that as I was on the first day I began. Instead of calling a Yamaha Grizzly a Grizzly .. it's a YFM660FG yada yada. And the ATVs were the easiest part ... cruisers .. forget it. Oh and they carried the outboard motors too ... everything from the old Chryslers to the new Yammies.

I jumped ship and went over to BRP ... atleast with them their parts system is relatively easy. A Can-Am Outlander is called an Outlander and the rear brakes are located under " Braking System" on the microfiche ... not under something stupid and totally unrelated.

I no longer work at either dealership , and I find myself enjoying the sport even more now. There's just something about dealing with cranky customers and their broken down piece of crap machines for 10 hours a day that turned me away from the sport for a little while. Last year when I worked at the dealership fulltime, I used my quad a total of 2 times all year... and I used to be hardcore into riding.

jcv400ex
02-16-2009, 07:19 AM
I dunno, when I was part owner of a shop up here, I was into it more. I spent all my free time either there or out riding and I loved it.

Maybe it's different when it's yours though and you aren't working for someone else. :confused:

Bryson#221
02-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Man...ya know...I always wanted to do that too, but never took the step to get there. And now I regret the fact that I didn't. I don't think anyone here would be looking down on you for...what was it again??? - working in an atv shop? Shoot, look what website you're on :D Go for it!!!!! (Then again, I may be a little bias).