PDA

View Full Version : Recalls and service Bulletins

fastford
02-13-2009, 06:32 AM
Can we get a list going of all recalls and service bulletins and the little things that should be done like the thermostat increase. Also include a list of things that are recommended like an aftermarket clutch.

Blizzard24
02-13-2009, 07:19 AM
This is for the 08's

1) Recall rear motor mount
2) Recall Fly wheel bolts
3) TSB- Update to 09 clutch assembly
4) ECU update to increase limp mode temp and rpms
5) Replace stock hose clamps
6) Heat tape underside of gas tank
7) Possibly cut round holes under front fenders to assist w cooling

Thats all I can think of.

Harkes2k
02-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Im picking my 08 up Monday... is this 09 clutch update something that only happens if you have a problem or is it just like the ECU reflash and bolt replacement?

hotshotgoal30
02-14-2009, 09:05 AM
whats the deal with the thermostat limp mode thing? is this just for if your racing? or in hot weather? im more of a trail rider is this gunna be a problem? i dont know yet because i bought it in december so it hasnt been warm but i am going on a trip mid july where we will be running dirt roads 50+ mph.

Mr. Big Time
02-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by hotshotgoal30
whats the deal with the thermostat limp mode thing? is this just for if your racing? or in hot weather? im more of a trail rider is this gunna be a problem? i dont know yet because i bought it in december so it hasnt been warm but i am going on a trip mid july where we will be running dirt roads 50+ mph.

if there isnt mud on them roads you should be fine. Generally overheating is caused by mud building up in the radiator and not letting air flow through it. You should be fine.

jaredw
02-15-2009, 11:54 AM
So that list of recalls, how come I never got a letter informing me of these? Do I just call my dealer to see if my ds qualifies? Also, is everyone having luck getting them done.

dbkbushwacker
02-15-2009, 12:53 PM
I got the rear motor mount and flywheel bolts done back in december. It took a while cuz they had to order the special drill bit.

MarcM
02-19-2009, 11:56 AM
I also got the Motor Mount and Flywheel done in January.

I am concerned about the Clutch. Was that TSB for All the 08' DS450X's?

How can I update the ECU? Does the dealer do that?

Thanks for your help. This forum is a wealth of Info!

TNT
02-20-2009, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by MarcM
I also got the Motor Mount and Flywheel done in January.

I am concerned about the Clutch. Was that TSB for All the 08' DS450X's?

How can I update the ECU? Does the dealer do that?

Thanks for your help. This forum is a wealth of Info!

Welcome aboard! :D

The clutch SB applies to engine #'s M6748166 (See the thread below 2009-9 Clutch SB, I scanned it in. All engines priror to this should have the mod done or risk serious engine damage.

The 08 ECU needs an update to the temp that quad will go into limp home mode you can get your dealer to do.

As far as obtaining SB and recalls, I would not trust the mail system. I would check w/your local dealer periodically. When you order new parts the bullitins should come with them.

MarcM
02-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks...

I called the dealer yesterday and I am still under warranty and they said bring it in and they will do the clutch work for Free.

Currently I have 5 hours on the quad. No Clutch Squeal.

Do you recommend I get the Clutch work done, even though there are no symptoms? Is the clutch any smotther or tougher after the work is done?

DGS
02-20-2009, 04:00 PM
I would do it, your clutch will last longer and work better...and you will have piece of mind that all is good...

TNT
02-20-2009, 04:25 PM
We got a guy here that burnt an 09 clutch already(not the basket) and he has far less hours than my son...He does not keep the right lever play and he is complaining it should be covered under warranty, and he burnt it at a 3 hour hare scramble xc race if you race you loose the warranty.

My son who is the fastest pro around here that use to burns YAM clutches left and right has not burnt his 09 DS we are getting incredible life out of it since he knows how to use it plus I keep his clutch adjusted to a tee and as soon as I loose play I will replace the plates and frictions just to be safe.

Point is look at the difference. You might wonder how this is possible but alot depends on maintenance and the rider.

DGS is correct don't mess with this situation get the update. The 08 clutch is a ticking time bomb!

Take care of your clutch. I will probably replace the stock springs w/heavy duties when I replace the clutch. That will make the lever a little harder but pro-long the life of the clutch.

nate450x
02-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Another way to help clutch life is to use stiffer springs but alternate every other one with stock springs. This is only if you have a even number of springs on the clutch, 4,6 you get the point(ours has six). But what this does is help clutch life and at the same time does not fatigue your clutch hand as fast. This is just an option if you do not want an extra stiff clutch but want to make it last longer.

TNT
02-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by nate450x
Another way to help clutch life is to use stiffer springs but alternate every other one with stock springs. This is only if you have a even number of springs on the clutch, 4,6 you get the point(ours has six). But what this does is help clutch life and at the same time does not fatigue your clutch hand as fast. This is just an option if you do not want an extra stiff clutch but want to make it last longer.

There ya go good idea! :D

MarcM
02-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the advice... I will be calling the dealer to schedule the clutch work.

X400EX
02-24-2009, 07:48 AM
I would like to know... Since my 09 DS didn't had the new clutch parts, do I need to care about the old recalls? (motor mount, flywheel).

Thanks.

cforce1
03-01-2009, 06:49 PM
I have an 08 and called to get my numbers ran and the dealership told me I have a recall on my oil filter housing. So you might want to check on that too.

DGS
03-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by X400EX
I would like to know... Since my 09 DS didn't had the new clutch parts, do I need to care about the old recalls? (motor mount, flywheel).

Thanks.

Nope not on the 2009 DS....all 09's will have the clutch update...!!!
Maybe yours is a late 08...? Whats your VIN # and model number..? I will check on the flywheel and motor mount..!!

X400EX
03-02-2009, 02:17 PM
How can I know my model number?

Thank you for your help.

kellymi
03-02-2009, 05:49 PM
I know my 09 still squeals. You guys with the 09's, does your clutch still make noise?

crixal
03-02-2009, 08:33 PM
is there anything aftermarket i could buy to fix the problem instead of getting the new stuff thru the dealer?

X400EX
03-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by kellymi
I know my 09 still squeals. You guys with the 09's, does your clutch still make noise?

Mine doesn't squeal. I've only ridden it for like 30 minutes though.

maconu
06-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Has anyone had the ECU update done?

I have talked to 2 shops and neither one knows about it. If you did get it done, did they flash it or did you end up with a new ecu?

thanks...... I love this bike!!!

ltr311
06-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by maconu
Has anyone had the ECU update done?

I have talked to 2 shops and neither one knows about it. If you did get it done, did they flash it or did you end up with a new ecu?

thanks...... I love this bike!!!

Dont mean to side track but are you taking your machine to the quadcross next weekend? Id like to check your machine out if your gonna be there. Ive never seen this motoworks filter you have.

maconu
06-03-2009, 03:04 PM
The filter is nolonger available.

I called Motoworks for cleaning instructions and I was informed that they discontinued the filter because some riders were having problems with the filter letting dirt in the engine. So they refunded me my money back. I havne't changed it out yet but I also haven't had any problems with it. I do clean it pretty frequently though.

I would do business with motoworks on anything. There customer service is excellent and they are beyond fair....

all that being said...... Yes I will be at ITP rnd 4 at Speedworld...
my bike now has red rear and white front plastics......

grannysleeper
06-04-2009, 12:05 AM
I had the ECU update done (at least the dealer said they did it, didn't get a repair order saying that it had been done...) all they do is reflash it to modify the limp mode parameters. Quick and easy.

jlrenken
06-04-2009, 06:33 AM
i never went to the dear to get mine flashed or anything i just switched them out and every thing worked fine. well at least i havent noticed anything yet othe than the idel is higher and fan comes on way sooner which is what its suppose to do.

maconu
06-04-2009, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by jlrenken
i never went to the dear to get mine flashed or anything i just switched them out and every thing worked fine. well at least i havent noticed anything yet othe than the idel is higher and fan comes on way sooner which is what its suppose to do.

Did you take it to your dealer where they gave you a new one and you gave them yours????

Blizzard24
06-04-2009, 09:50 AM
To anyone that is not turning their old ECU in when you get the Race ECU, the dealership is being charged about $900 from Can Am until the old one is sent back to Can Am.

These dealers have stepped up to get you the Rider Support from Can Am, dont ruin it for all of us by not turning the ECU back in. PLEASE!

dbkbushwacker
06-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Does anyone have the service/recall number on the ecu? I rode my bike last weekend and I noticed it was getting hot and the fan wasn't turning on when it should.

LT-R450 131
06-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Does the 09x mx have any of these problems?

And how do you get the red and white plastics? From can am?

maconu
06-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by LT-R450 131
Does the 09x mx have any of these problems?

And how do you get the red and white plastics? From can am?

I ordered the red and white plastics from Desert Dog Offroad in the phoenix area. There are the 09 base model plastics....

jlrenken
06-05-2009, 03:25 PM
well i work at a dealer and all i did was put it in and everything seems to be working just fine without puting it on the computer.

kellymi
06-25-2009, 06:02 PM
Finally getting my clutch update done under warranty!!, Just in the neck of time too because I only have like 3 days left on my warranty. I basically kept hounding and complaining to my dealer and they finally said to bring it on in and they will take a look at it. They had to call Can-Am to get some clarification on the service bulletin, for some reason they didn't understand it. Can-Am must have told them to do it because I got a call today saying that they are doing everything under warranty. I don't have to pay anything! If any of you are still trying to get the update done keep hounding your dealer and have them call Can-Am.

hotshotgoal30
06-25-2009, 07:51 PM
i just got this done the other day. what a long process this was and its still not right. from the day i bought the bike i mentioned the update. took them weeks as they just put me off basically not wanting to know about it. then they couldnt find the bulletin telling me there was no such thing. finnally they called and got the ok. waited basically 2 months for parts. brought my machine there 3 different times sitting there for a week no work was done they ere to busy for me. finnaly they called and said bring it in. ( my warranty was almost up) so i brought it in for the 4th time. i get a call saying they were missing gaskets or seals i dont even know. i get it back and now i have coolant leaking onto my skidplate. im not really blaming can am more so my dealer but what the ****?! why do these dealers seem like they have no clue or they dont care? i know im not the only one to have problems. i guess spending $8000 of hard earned money isnt good enough nevermind the time it sat in the shop. im aggrivated. now i have to bring it back so they can redo what it took them so long to do because they couldnt manage to put it together right. on the plus side though my clutch doesnt squeel anymore

Foxstar45
06-26-2009, 09:24 AM
I put the new clutch disks in the motor last night as per the service bulletin and there is some in and out play in it when the nut is torqued??? What gives? anyone else do it themselves and is this going to vibrate/not work right?

BSTURDIVANT
06-30-2009, 02:02 PM
This has a internal pressure plate and tightens when the spring plate is installed!