PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Save Our Sport!!!

mxdad
02-13-2009, 04:59 AM
ATVRIDERS PLEASE HELP. WE ARE A LARGE GROUP WITH A HUGE VOICE. PLEASE TAKE A MINUTE AND HELP!!!

Here is a letter about the CPSC & lead based products that you all have probably heard about by now. The link at the bottom of the email didn't seem to work. If you go to http://www.tomself.com and fill in your name and hit enter, it automatically sends an email in your name..Please do it, it takes 10 seconds.

Thanks,
Adam

URGENT: Call to Action from MX Sports

Dear Industry Leaders, Racers, Fans and Enthusiasts,

Yesterday, a law went into effect prohibiting the sale of minicycles to children under the age of 13 as a result of the lead content in the machines (Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008, Title I, Section 101). This law, which arguably applies to both motorcycles and ATVs, treats any children's product that contains more lead than the limit established by law as a banned hazardous substance.

We have already begun to experience the devastating consequences of this new legislation upon our sport, as OEMs have already pulled these machines from their showroom floors. Youth racing is the foundation of our sport. That is when most of you fell in love with motorcycles in the first place, only to grow up to bring your own kids back to the racetracks. Only now, they can't ride.

On behalf of MX Sports (Loretta Lynn's), Racer Productions (GNCC), and ATVPG (ATV Amateur Nationals), we are extremely concerned with the short- and long-range effects of this new legislation, as the first rounds in all of our various series are less than two weeks away, and all include classes for youth racers under the age of 13. But it's not just our events - WORCS, NMA, Mini Os, SETRA, etc., are all adversely impacted.

It is our opinion that the new law is inapplicable to off-highway motorsports, as neither motorcycles nor ATVs have the potential for ingestion, and lead from motorcycles is not likely to be absorbed into the bloodstream or present a health hazard. Let's face it - when was the last time someone swallowed a motorcycle? Any other interpretation would be silly. Be that as it may, the law will continue to adversely affect our industry unless and until an exemption is granted.

Presently, there is a petition for an immediate temporary exemption pending before the Consumer Product Safety Commission ("CPSC") filed by the Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC) on behalf of the OEMs, distributors, and industry associations. This petition, if granted, would enable our industry to move forward this racing season while the applicability of the law to the off-highway industry is determined.

What can you do?

A form letter for submission to the CPSC in support of the petition for exemption is attached as prepared by the MIC. The letter will also be available this weekend at the Indy tradeshow. Simply print out one copy for each person in your family and submit it ASAP. In the meantime, AMA is preparing a letter for submission by its membership to the CPSC. Be on the lookout for that one as well.

Also, an electronic form letter has been prepared by State Representative Tom Self of Missouri. Please go his website at www.tomself.com. Just fill in your name and address and hit "Submit" to register your support. Please submit this letter on behalf of every member of your family - regardless of age.

What else can you do?

Contact your congressmen and senators; let them know that this legislation will have the unintended consequences of crippling an entire industry. Surely, it could not have been the spirit or intent of the new law to apply to motorcycles or bicycles (which apparently have lead in the brake cables).

Time is of the essence. The very future of our sport and of our industry depends on this. We must support the pending petition before the commencement of the national racing season.

Please give this matter your immediate attention, and forward this letter to EVERY PERSON available ASAP.

Thank you,

c.

Carrie Coombs Russell

dan harris
02-14-2009, 08:12 AM
Adam thanks for posting the great link to a very easy way to send a letter. I've been reading about this the past week or so and can't believe its happening.

Your link is the easiest way I've found to show your opposition to the law.

EVERYBODY READING THIS SHOULD TAKE THE 10 SECONDS TO SIGN.

hotrodhonda400
02-14-2009, 06:42 PM
STICKEY ! !! ! ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hotrodhonda400
02-14-2009, 06:52 PM
thank you ! ! I'm posting this ban on other NON ATV related sites too so maybe we can get their help. This whole thing is rediculous ! ! I can't even buy a riding helmet for my son !! They told me it applied to all riding gear as well ! !

quad2xtreme
02-14-2009, 07:02 PM
that is just total bull**** about the helmets...is there lead in it?

This is all just a made up reason to ban motorized vehicles for kids even if parents think it is okay. I hate when this country doesn't follow democracy and just decides we aren't smart enough to think for ourselves... :mad: :mad: :mad:

So now, there will be kids riding 125cc+ quads with bicycle helmets or no helmets. Smart move.

Reminds me of the churches in Pasadena, MD wanting to run this relatively harmless topless bar out of town that had been there forever. They managed to have the guys liquor license revoked over a small incident. Now what does Pasadena have? A fully nude BYOB bar. The guy had to buy more property and pave it all into parking lots. Sometimes people come up with ideas and really don't think them through.

jherbie28
02-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme

Reminds me of the churches in Pasadena, MD wanting to run this relatively harmless topless bar out of town that had been there forever. They managed to have the guys liquor license revoked over a small incident. Now what does Pasadena have? A fully nude BYOB bar. The guy had to buy more property and pave it all into parking lots. Sometimes people come up with ideas and really don't think them through.

MC DOOGULES :devil:

the youth atv ban sucks, the worse part is apparently the companies that produce the products had 1 year to comply with the federal regulations "lead count" and did not do anything about it.

QuadJunkies
02-14-2009, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by hotrodhonda400
thank you ! ! I'm posting this ban on other NON ATV related sites too so maybe we can get their help. This whole thing is rediculous ! ! I can't even buy a riding helmet for my son !! They told me it applied to all riding gear as well ! !

All riding gear too?!! WTF??!! I guess Im glad we got what we needed for now:eek2:
Everyone let your voices be heard- I DID!!

MAaudioX10
02-15-2009, 12:19 AM
I really hope those of you with kids can do something about this. I just don't think the attempts are going to do any good.

Last time I checked, public outcry is simply ignored. Politians clearly do NOT have the publics best interest in mind. To save a few, they punish millions. Just look at the latest "spending" bill.
As the bill became more and more public, it became more and more unpopular. Congress didn't much care, just sped up the process. Much like this.....they don't care....

Welcome to the nanny state. Pretty soon you won't have to think for yourself, they'll do THAT for you too.

I hope I'm wrong.

hotrodhonda400
02-15-2009, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
All riding gear too?!! WTF??!! I guess Im glad we got what we needed for now:eek2:
Everyone let your voices be heard- I DID!!

Yes riding gear too. The dealer told me today that I could not buy riding gear such as helmets goggles gloves anything for my son because he is under 12 until this is resolved. The thing that bothers me is they had no petitions or never even knew any existed for this matter. And it also seems that alot of people are kinda laying down and saying it will be fixed (some on this site) acting like there not worried BUT what if we all thought this way our youth sport would and still could be done ! !

Brad77
02-15-2009, 07:41 AM
Everyone who races may see changes from this ban

Found this on another website. It is a letter from Greg Robinson, Owner of Unadilla.......

Good Afternoon...forget the good, as our country has descended into lunacy.

I have spent most of the day on two conference calls relative to the subject line above, and I must say I am rather concerned about the fate of our sport and industry. Not to mention our local communities for the further loss of jobs and $$ that our industry brings in each year. It is certainly that dire..believe me.

As of yesterday, all the OEMs had to pull for sale all new youth minicycles and atvs for those under the age of 13...this under order of the CPSC due to lead content of plastics and certain metals. As of yesterday, a dealer or private individual can no longer provide parts or service, to these affected machines, in which there is a possibility that those same parts may contain lead...no oil changes, plastic, levers, engine cases, etc, etc..goggles, helmets, clothing, knee braces..you name it. You may think that is just for new machines, but it is for everything new and used.

The CPSC also ruled that machines under 85cc are considered toxic to the health of young children.

Effective yesterday, Honda has pulled replacement parts from their service system for these machines pending lead certification...this takes 400 days. KTM, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Yamaha are doing the same thing. If you have a 1,2,3 year old machine, you won't be able to buy most parts for it very soon.

Yamaha is sending out restrictions to its dealers saying that an 85cc bike can only be sold, and should only be operated by someone over the age of 13.

Now to the fun part for us as a race promoter.

Because the manufacturers are now issuing these guidelines, we as promoters cannot allow a youth under the age of 13 to participate for two reasons.
We are allowing someone to participate in a sanctioned activity on a vehicle that has been determined by the manufacturer and the CPSC to be unsafe for that age level.
We are allowing someone to participate in a sanctioned activity on a vehicle that the CPSC has determined is a toxic substance.
If you think I am joking, consider the following
MX Sports is considering removing youth classes from the Loretta Lynn's program, GNCC, and ATV Nationals...we run all three of these series and I can tell you that these classes make up over 1/3 of our entries and more than half of our attendance.
The AMA will be forced to ban youths under 13 from any AMA amateur or pro competition due to legal ramifications. The same will apply to local districts and sanctioning bodies, as insurance will not be available to cover this exposure.
The lifeblood of our sport are these kids..if they cannot participate, they will find something else to do, and we will not get them back. They will not race, watch, or buy products. That means Mom, Dad and older brothers/sisters won't be there either.
Unadilla would most likely not participate in any form of amateur racing..with only half or less of the entries left, it wouldn't be financially possible.
DO I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION YET!

There are two efforts going on right now to get a temporary stay granted by the CPSC for "Off Road Vehicles." The MIC (Motorcycle Industry Council) and Missouri State House Rep Mike Sense(#4 in line in the MO st govt) are both developing grass roots letter campaigns through websites to develop a ground swell of support for this stay. Keep in mind this is only temporary, and unless a Federal injunction or legislation is developed, this isn't going away.

There are several opinions floating around on this subject saying that our thinking is flawed and that only the sale of new units is affected...if that is the case, why are helmet, goggle, sneakers, sunglasses, OEM parts and accessories, and dealer service being pulled for these units???

I will leave you with this..if indeed this is overblown, and we are right that we shouldn't be affected by this, it still doesn't mean that we can't/won't be sued by someone using this logic, and worse yet, convince a jury that the above is true. If it gets that far, you will have spent nearly a million $$ in your own defense, just to prove you were right all along.

IS IT WORTH THAT TO YOU?

I will get you info on the two websites, and I encourage you to beg everyone you know that rides, owns, promotes, or attends an off road sporting event to get everyone they know in the same manner to fill out one of these letters...Every Mom Dad and Kid should individually enter their name. Then they should contact their local representatives too.

Thanks for listening, and please do not think you can't make a difference..contact your local representatives as well..explain the economic impact this will have..educate yourself on this subject as quickly as you can.

Greg Robinson
VP Marketing
Unadillla Motorsports
© 315-725-9537
greg@unadillamx.com

dan harris
02-15-2009, 08:37 AM
Effective immediately, No one under 13 is allowed to eat, chew or suck on their machine while at the Proving Grounds!!!!

What Bull !! Don't worry, I believe that parents and riders have the right to decide what machine is appropriate for them. KIDS AND FAMILIES WILL ALWAYS BE PERMITTED TO RIDE AT BREEZEWOOD!

But unless you want your kid riding some out dated machine that you can't get parts for then don't just talk about it - take the time to send letters and contact your state representative. Also encourage your dealer to get motivated and not wait to see what happens! The dealers should be leading this fight!

Maybe someone can post the state representatives for each state and their contact info so it will be easier for everyone to be heard!~

drgnerth
02-15-2009, 06:07 PM
Is this the world we live in?

wvspeedfreak
02-15-2009, 07:03 PM
I really hope there is someone out there that can take a common sense approach to this issue and get some things changed.
It seems that common sense is something that is fading these days unfortunately :(

JBENSON
02-17-2009, 07:21 AM
What is this country coming to!!! :mad: Are people really that stupid to come up with laws like this! They should start thinking with there heads & not there *****! Now kid will be riding bigger quads or bikes and get hurt on them, before you know it they will not sell them either! None of us will be riding! What bull****!

QuadJunkies
02-17-2009, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by JBENSON
What is this country coming to!!! :mad: Are people really that stupid to come up with laws like this! They should start thinking with there heads & not there *****! Now kid will be riding bigger quads or bikes and get hurt on them, before you know it they will not sell them either! None of us will be riding! What bull****!

I think thats the way some of the folks want it ,especially the kids . They found a loop hole and now they are abusing it.There has been so much bad publicity out there in our sport with kids and this just helped them fight things a little more.

I wonder how its going to work for the time being on states who need to register there atvs for offroad use?? Im glad Brandon will be 12 in May. :ermm:
I justs cant see how this coudl actually be enforced, its so far out of reason !!
When I think of all the parents that still talk about the younger days riding back in the day ,thinking these kids may not ever get that same opportunity just makes me so sad. :(

Tommy 17
02-17-2009, 04:01 PM
And then they wonder why the government is so hated in the united states. All they are doing is making the youth of american rebel more and waste more of their life playing video games and doing drugs and other illegal things.

What really makes me mad is that its killing the family oriented sport. There is no family that is closer then a family that races. Its not a one person sport its takes dedication and support from the entire family. I feel bad for the kids because alot will miss out now on some great times!

coryatver
02-17-2009, 04:13 PM
you can still buy some kids quads like DDR that went through the legal paperwork and tests. I have no idea why the big companies have not done this. This is all crazy!

QuadJunkies
02-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
you can still buy some kids quads like DDR that went through the legal paperwork and tests. I have no idea why the big companies have not done this. This is all crazy!

Apparently they do comply(thank god we bought Brandon one!)
But what good will it do if you cant buy any gear?
thats what I dont get!:mad:
too many holes that need filled in..:confused:

What happens to BMX riders who wear gear?
This is all just a bunch of bull!

02-17-2009, 05:13 PM
I MEAN REALY HOW MANY KIDS HAVE YOU HEARD OF THAT HAVE DIED BECAUSE THEY SOME HOW MANAGED TO GET THE BREAK CABLE COVER OF AND SUCK ON IT?? I MEAN REALLY THAT IS BULL$HIT I CANT BELEIVE PEOPLE THSE DAYS IF ONLY IT WERE STILL LIKE THE 80S OR 90S

RidinginPa
02-17-2009, 06:18 PM
I just heard about this, and I'm curious. Does anyone know if they will be recalling the youth machines we already own? My daughter would be devestated!!

bigd's ex
02-17-2009, 06:34 PM
" CAN YOU SAY COMMUNISM " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RidinginPa
02-17-2009, 07:07 PM
I also heard that it will be hard to find riding gear!!! Guess I better stock up now.

90cc DAD
02-18-2009, 03:25 PM
Here is a Letter from Tim Cotter, Director of the AMA Amateur National Motocross Championship at Loretta Lynn Ranch

Dear Promoters,

This message is to better inform our racers concerning the recent ruling from the Consumer Product Safety Counsel that jeopardizes youth racing. This recent ruling threatens the sale of minicycles that are intended for riders under the age of 12. At this time we have no intentions on removing or eliminating any youth classes from our program. MX Sports encourages you to get involved in our fight to save youth racing. Please take the time to contact your federal elected officials with a personal and passionate message. To learn more about this issue go to www.racerxonline.com.
We again thank you for your support on this very important issue.

Sincerely,

Tim Cotter
MX Sports

RidinginPa
02-18-2009, 05:15 PM
My husabnd and his buddies have been into the pit bikes for awhile now, but even they won't be able to buy those anymore!! We even stocked up on helmets and such for our daughter today because the dealership said it is true that you soon won't be able to get those either.

QuadJunkies
02-19-2009, 11:18 AM
http://bulletins.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=bulletin.read&authorID=26634793&messageID=6345156702&MyToken=3d9e755d-f047-443e-9637-b3c7dbb66f68

honda400ex2003
02-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Edit: it got deleted out of the rest of the forums, i was told it should stay out of tech sections. I appologize for posting this in them. I made sure I sent in 5 for my family and everyone in my email. WE NEED TO KEEP IT ALIVE! The kids atvs are the future. Good luck all, steve

RATPACK Z400
02-19-2009, 10:10 PM
All this is,is a way to cut down starting with the youth working its way up to the adults to stop offroad sports for the future with these BS loophole the gov.offical,tree huggers have to use to stop us from riding its so retarded they look at us like were hells angels when riding ,they do nothing to ban the outlaw bikers but treat us the same .

motoguy450r
02-21-2009, 08:23 PM
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK FORMER PRESIDENT BUSH AND THE DELEGATES FOR POSIBBLY SAVING ALL THE KIDS LIVES OUT THERE BY BANNING ATVS/DIRT BIKES. ALL OF OUR YEARS OF RACING AND EATING OUR BIKES WHEN WE ARE DONE WITH THEM I NEVER KNEW THAT WE MIGHT POSSIBLY DIE FROM EATING OUR ATVS/DIRTBIKES BECAUSE OF THE LEAD IN THE BATTERY AND TIRES. ALTHOUGH THIS WAS A LOW FAT DIET FOR MY KIDS I WILL TRY TO FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO FEED THEM THAT WONT BE SO HAZARDOUS. LOL WE ARE RUN BY SOME OF THE MOST STUPIDEST SUNS A *****ES I EVER SEEN. WHO FEEDS THERE ATVS/DIRTBIKES TO THEIR KIDS. ANYONE? IF YOU KNOW OF ANYONE PLEASE TELL THEM IT IS ILLEGAL TO FEED THEIR KIDS THEIR ATVS. THEY MIGHT DIE FROM IT.

Quadlover94
02-22-2009, 06:52 AM
does the president have any saw in the laws we have? like...did obama agree to this law?

motoguy450r
02-22-2009, 12:48 PM
i dont know if obama agreed to it or not, but bush did sign it in so we can take it for whatever it is, its no a bush thing, not a obama thing. its our sport in danger thing though. if you read on the whole thing it is trying to protect are children, its just that there are so many grey areas, and unfortunatley atvs/dirt bikes are in that big gray area. last i heard there were 60,000 sigs on numerous petions so far, everyone needs to pass this along and get the word out.

631kfx400
02-23-2009, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
I have passed it along and posted it in the rest of the major forums on the site. We need to keep up the good work. Steve
amen

TRXman86
02-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Rep. Blaine Luetkeymeyer says lead law is confusing

Body: OSAGE COUNTY - Some mid-Missouri parents are angry and say Congress went too far when they banned selling toys with lead.

Scott Johnson is one of those parents and believes the law unintentionally bars his kids from buying and fixing their motorbikes.

The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act was passed by Congress last year. The law was aimed to help ease the public's fears about dangerous lead levels which turned up in Chinese-made toys.

"What happened is they passed a lead law that went from infant toys to remote control cars at radio shack and went all the way to my boy's motorcycles," Johnson said.

The new law bans the sale of children's products containing more than 600 parts per million of lead and all motorbikes have parts which contain at least that much lead.

Because of the new legislation, the Johnsons can't repair their bikes because everyday bike items contain lead and are no longer sold. The parts include brake levers, brake pads and throttle cables.

"If we tear up our stuff, yeah our parts, we can't get anything," 8-year-old Jacob Johnson said.

Johnson said the Consumer Product Safety Commission interprets the law too narrowly.

"What they did is they just passed this bill and motorcycles just got slipped in, outdoor vehicles, and you know we can't buy parts for our bikes anymore," Johnson said.

Rep. Blaine Luetkeymeyer agrees the law is causing a lot of confusion.

Luetkeymeyer released the following statement, "At a time of economic crisis I do not think it is wise to place undue burdens on small businesses that are already offering safe products. I have had a number of constituents contact my office concerned that this bill will drive them out of business.

"

Across the nation, the motor sport industry reports the ban has affected about 13,000 dealers.

honda400ex2003
02-24-2009, 10:07 PM
bump 62,900 keep up the good work guys!!!

honda400ex2003
02-24-2009, 10:18 PM
i just checked the honda site they don't even have the trx90 or anything on it any more. steve :( :( :grr:

TRXman86
02-26-2009, 01:15 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/atvmxrcr86/BARCHEWING.jpg

TRXman86
03-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Well, here is where the progress lies in Missouri to lift the ban:VERY LONG DUE TO COPY AND PASTE

To see progress on what the Missouri House of Representatives and Rep Tom Self are doing to protect our right to ride follow the link below. Toward the bottom of page 387 of the House Journal you will see the recommended action taken on 2/24.

To: Pms713@aol.com

Sent: 2/26/2009 4:50:32 P.M.
Central Standard Time

Subj: RE: What the CPSC ruling will do to my business and others as well...

Mr.
Horn,

I am not sure if you know this or not, but Rep. Tom Self is sponsoring a House Resolution regarding this issue. I have pasted the website that you can go to too view it. Once at this website you can choose “actions” and see where it is in the House and then the Senate. As of today it has passed out of committee and can now be taken up for floor debate.

http://www.house.mo.gov/content.aspx?info=...bills/HR736.htm

Have a good evening.

Leann Hager
Executive Assistant
to Majority Floor Leader
Representative Steven Tilley
Missouri House of Representatives

Phone: (573) 751-1488
Fax: (573) 526-0881

------------------------------------------------
FIRST REGULAR SESSION

House Resolution No. 736

95TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
1995L.03I

Whereas, a new federal law aimed at protecting children from lead in toys has also forced a nationwide halt in sales of off-road motorcycles and recreational vehicles built for young riders, halting a multimillion-dollar industry that was thriving despite the recession; and

Whereas, on February 10, 2009, the new Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) requirements that limit the lead content in all children's products went into effect; and

Whereas, under the CPSIA, "children's product" means a consumer product designed or intended primarily for children 12 years of age or younger; and

Whereas, youth model all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) and off-highway motorcycles, as well as parts and accessories for youth ATVs and motorcycles are severely impacted by the new lead limits established under the CPSIA; and

Whereas, over 50,000 U.S. citizens have requested through www.tomself.com alone that a letter be sent on their behalf to the Consumer Product Safety Commission voicing their concerns on this small powersports issue; and

Whereas, there are many other ongoing efforts which are receiving a large volume of responses from citizens similarly concerned with this small powersports issue; and

Whereas, as a result of the CPSIA, thousands of powersports dealers were told to halt all sales of vehicles designed for children 12 and younger, new and used; and

Whereas, the Motorcycle Industry Council estimates nearly 100,000 youth bikes were sold in the United States in 2008. An industry trade publication estimates the value of inventory at United States dealers which can no longer be sold probably exceeds $100 million; and

Whereas, beyond the current inventory, there are millions and millions of dollars worth of parts now in the product pipeline to dealers that cannot be sold; and

Whereas, the industry estimates the retail market value for all off-road cycles and ATVs at $14.5 billion a year, including sales, service, parts, accessories, and payroll; and

Whereas, consumers have borrowed significant amounts of money on untold hundreds of thousands of youth ATVs and motorcycles; and

Whereas, parts for these youth ATVs and motorcycles are now unavailable, which in many cases renders the ATV or motocycle inoperable or not safely operable; and

Whereas, if parts are not readily available, owners and operators may be tempted or forced to go beyond normal maintenance and repair guidelines, resulting in an improperly performing machine; and

Whereas, some machines may require some wear parts to be replaced in as little as 10 hours of use and operators may try to operate improperly sized units if properly sized units are not readily available; and

Whereas, the Consumer Product Safety Commission needs to take a common sense approach to implementation of the CPSIA's lead provisions in order to avoid major disruptions to youth ATV and motorcycle enthusiasts, owners, manufacturers, and the dealer network of thousands of small, independent businesses which employ tens of thousands of Americans; and

Whereas, while protecting children from those products that truly present a lead risk is important, there should be a waiver or exclusion for products that do not present risk to children; and

Whereas, while the CPSIA provides for exclusions and authorizes the Consumer Product Safety Commission to grant exclusions under certain conditions, to date the Consumer Product Safety Commission has not granted any exclusions for youth ATVs and motorcycles; and

Whereas, any delay in providing a waiver or exclusion for youth ATVs and motorcycles creates an untenable situation for thousands of owners, manufacturers, and dealers, many of whom are small businesses. Huge inventories of products that present no health risk to children are rendered retroactively illegal, and future products are prohibited from sale; and

Whereas, a waiver or exclusion for youth ATVs and motorcycles is needed because, in the absence of government action, there likely will not be any new youth ATVs or motorcycles available for purchase in their local dealerships and owners will not be able to obtain parts for youth ATVs and motorcycles already purchased:

Now, therefore, be it resolved that we, the members of the Missouri House of Representatives, Ninety-fifth General Assembly, strongly urge the Consumer Product Safety Commission to provide a waiver or exclusion for youth ATVs and motorcycles from the lead limit requirements of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act; and

Be it further resolved that the Chief Clerk of the Missouri House of Representatives be instructed to prepare properly inscribed copies of this resolution for the Consumer Product Safety Commission, the Congressional committees of the United States House and Senate with oversight of the Consumer Product Safety Commission, and each member of the Missouri Congressional delegation.

quadinfamily
03-04-2009, 03:44 PM
CPSIA Update:

Youth Models Approved for Retail Sale

Effective immediately, authorized Suzuki dealers are now approved to sell several youth model motorcycles and ATVs, including the QuadSport Z90, and QuadSport 80 ATVs, as well as the DR-Z125, DR-Z125L, RM85 and RM85L motorcycles. This approval for retail sale also includes the associated replacement parts for these models. You may return these models to your sales floor and begin retail sales immediately. Free flooring through March will continue as noted in Dealer Bulletin 09-22.

The sales ban still applies to all other youth ATVs and off-road motorcycles referenced in Dealer Bulletin 09-17; these remain NOT approved for sale. This includes the QuadSport Z50, QuadMaster 50, JR50, JR80, RM65, DR-Z70 and DR-Z110, and applies to all model years as well as new and used vehicles. ASMC will cover flooring – through March 31, 2009 – for these affected units in your inventory which are currently on GE flooring.

American Suzuki continues to work within the industry toward exemptions for the youth motorcycles and ATVs, and their associated parts and accessories, affected by the CPSIA. We will communicate with you as our work progresses here.

A REMINDER TO CONTACT CONGRESS
We continue to urge you to contact your representative member of Congress to seek relief from this onerous legislation. Visit United States House of Representatives​,​ 111th Congress, 1st Session, and follow the link to “Write Your Representative.​” You can also use the “Find Your Representative”​ search tool, and by entering your Zip Code you will find more detailed contact information for your elected representatives​.​ You can find similar contact information for U.S. Senators by visiting U.S. Senate, and clicking on the “Senators” link to find the appropriate contact information.

Sincerely,
American Suzuki Motor Corporation

keep up the support everyone!! continue passing out flyers, writing letters to congress... keep spreading the word on this issue!!

K~Watson

QuadJunkies
03-05-2009, 12:04 AM
http://www.sharetrails.org/uploads/Letter_to_Chairman_Waxman_re_CPSIA.pdf

TRXman86
03-05-2009, 12:39 AM
EVEN BETTER NEWS!!! KEEP FORCING THIS ISSUE!!! IT IS WORKING!!!! AND MAY BE OVERTURNED SOON...

Well it dont work that way :(

Try this:

Go to CPSC website,

http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/cpsia.html#whatsnew Scroll down till you find this: Children’s Products Containing Lead; Final Rule; Procedures and Requirements for a Commission Determination or Exclusion; (DRAFT FR notice), Commission Briefing Package, February 24, 2009 (pdf) CLICK ON IT. (4th from the top)

Go down to page 3 and read down...

There looks as if to be light at the end of the tunnel!!!

QuadJunkies
03-10-2009, 12:30 PM
The timing this year with all this couldnt be worse... now snowmobiles are in the mix
I feel for the dealers.:ermm:
http://www.atvriders.com/atvnews/blueribboncoalition2009-snowmobile-atv-ban-lead.html

Quadlover94
03-11-2009, 01:17 PM
hows the petition going?

honda400ex2003
03-11-2009, 01:29 PM
check out the tomself.com site they said that there are 72,870 signed and he is doing some stuff with it. It sounds good for us here. keep up the good work. steve

heres the the beginning of the site sorry for so long I just copy and pasted it:

UPDATE
TOM SELF HOLDS JOINT PRESS CONFERENCE
WITH J.C. KUESSNER (D-Eminence),
ED MORELAND (AMA) AND PAUL VITRANO (MIC)
Representative Tom Self held a press conference at the Missouri State Capitol building on Wednesday March 4th at 12:15 P.M. There were several major media announcements as well as visual aides. Flying in for the event and making statements were Ed Moreland, Vice President Governmet Relations AMA (American Motorcyclist Association), as well as Paul Vitrano, Executive Vice President and General Counsel MIC (Motorcycle Industries Council) and SVIA (Specialty Vehicle Institute of America).

Steve Halterman, Missouri Regional Manager, NMA (National Motosport Association) and Greg Mitchell (Missouri Powersports Dealers) were also present and available for statements. The press conference subject was the devastating financial, safety and practical consequences nationwide resulting from the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act. The law was enacted in Washington last year and went into effect on February 10th 2009. Missouri House Resolution 736 was referenced, which passed the Missouri State House of Representatives by a vote of 148-13.

Click here to view pictures from the Press Conference with Ed Moreland and Paul Vitrano.

TOM SELF ANNOUNCES 10-DAY, 5-STATE MEDIA TOUR
Schedule to be announced this week.

HOUSE RESOLUTION 736 PASSES 148 to 13
Click Here to view the House Resolution 736 introduced by Representative Tom Self on February 18, 2009, and co-sponsored by a Majority of over 90 Representatives from the State of Missouri.

As of Monday March 9th, we have had over 72,870 petitions signed through this website.
Keep up the good work, so that our Government hears the voices of the American People.

Click Here to view the letter written by Representative Tom Self sent to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

hondariderdylan
03-17-2009, 01:07 PM
To this day this still pisses me off and ive known about it for months

this just goes to show that people in washington are ignorant as to what actually goes on in everyday america, there only intrested in getting paid

kids dont eat quads and dirt bikes
the lead they are *****ing about serves a vital purpose
the lead is hard to get to anyway
costs an industry 1 billion a year and were in the middle of a economic slump, real smart.

this also contradicts what they said back in the 80's becuase now kids are gonna have to ride quads too big for them becuase the ones specialy made for them are banned

this backs up my opinion that i hate almost all government

honda400ex2003
03-17-2009, 04:17 PM
I get aggravated too. ^^^agreed , steve

03-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by mxdad
ATVRIDERS PLEASE HELP. WE ARE A LARGE GROUP WITH A HUGE VOICE. PLEASE TAKE A MINUTE AND HELP!!!

Here is a letter about the CPSC & lead based products that you all have probably heard about by now. The link at the bottom of the email didn't seem to work. If you go to http://www.tomself.com and fill in your name and hit enter, it automatically sends an email in your name..Please do it, it takes 10 seconds.

Thanks,
Adam

URGENT: Call to Action from MX Sports

Dear Industry Leaders, Racers, Fans and Enthusiasts,

Yesterday, a law went into effect prohibiting the sale of minicycles to children under the age of 13 as a result of the lead content in the machines (Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008, Title I, Section 101). This law, which arguably applies to both motorcycles and ATVs, treats any children's product that contains more lead than the limit established by law as a banned hazardous substance.

We have already begun to experience the devastating consequences of this new legislation upon our sport, as OEMs have already pulled these machines from their showroom floors. Youth racing is the foundation of our sport. That is when most of you fell in love with motorcycles in the first place, only to grow up to bring your own kids back to the racetracks. Only now, they can't ride.

On behalf of MX Sports (Loretta Lynn's), Racer Productions (GNCC), and ATVPG (ATV Amateur Nationals), we are extremely concerned with the short- and long-range effects of this new legislation, as the first rounds in all of our various series are less than two weeks away, and all include classes for youth racers under the age of 13. But it's not just our events - WORCS, NMA, Mini Os, SETRA, etc., are all adversely impacted.

It is our opinion that the new law is inapplicable to off-highway motorsports, as neither motorcycles nor ATVs have the potential for ingestion, and lead from motorcycles is not likely to be absorbed into the bloodstream or present a health hazard. Let's face it - when was the last time someone swallowed a motorcycle? Any other interpretation would be silly. Be that as it may, the law will continue to adversely affect our industry unless and until an exemption is granted.

Presently, there is a petition for an immediate temporary exemption pending before the Consumer Product Safety Commission ("CPSC") filed by the Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC) on behalf of the OEMs, distributors, and industry associations. This petition, if granted, would enable our industry to move forward this racing season while the applicability of the law to the off-highway industry is determined.

What can you do?

A form letter for submission to the CPSC in support of the petition for exemption is attached as prepared by the MIC. The letter will also be available this weekend at the Indy tradeshow. Simply print out one copy for each person in your family and submit it ASAP. In the meantime, AMA is preparing a letter for submission by its membership to the CPSC. Be on the lookout for that one as well.

Also, an electronic form letter has been prepared by State Representative Tom Self of Missouri. Please go his website at www.tomself.com. Just fill in your name and address and hit "Submit" to register your support. Please submit this letter on behalf of every member of your family - regardless of age.

What else can you do?

Contact your congressmen and senators; let them know that this legislation will have the unintended consequences of crippling an entire industry. Surely, it could not have been the spirit or intent of the new law to apply to motorcycles or bicycles (which apparently have lead in the brake cables).

Time is of the essence. The very future of our sport and of our industry depends on this. We must support the pending petition before the commencement of the national racing season.

Please give this matter your immediate attention, and forward this letter to EVERY PERSON available ASAP.

Thank you,

c.

Carrie Coombs Russell

can i get the site this law is posted on? i need it for a research papper

BlasterEaten250
03-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
The timing this year with all this couldnt be worse... now snowmobiles are in the mix
I feel for the dealers.:ermm:
http://www.atvriders.com/atvnews/blueribboncoalition2009-snowmobile-atv-ban-lead.html They are just adding more angry people

honda400ex2003
03-22-2009, 03:36 PM
They just put the info on SPEED tv. Tom Self was on talking about the ban!!!! This is gaining help if it is on during the ama lites comp that is on right now. Steve

TRXman86
03-23-2009, 05:22 AM
Sounds like the CPSC had no idea WHO they were messing with

Body: Body: This is why you don't mess with a family based sport. his sport is the grass roots of 100's of thousands of family's, traditions, i cant even list all of the things mx represents. this is SUCH good news.. and EXACTLY why we need to keep spreading the word.. it isnt over yet....... but the battle has definitely taken a turn...
__________________________________________________ ___________

Here's a letter that was asked to be passed on to other moto websites.

Read the last paragraph especially, but read the whole thing. Information=knowledge.

This was sent to me, it is from the Capitol Hill newspaper, "The Congress Daily"...the in-house news of the US Capitol

From Friday's Congress Daily...

CPSC Says New Law Overwhelms Its Enforcement Efforts

Friday, March 20, 2009

Product safety legislation that banned lead and phthalates from children's toys has overwhelmed the regulatory agency responsible for implementing the law, Consumer Product Safety Commission officials wrote to Congress today. "Because requested funding for implementation of the new law was not forthcoming ... implementation of the [legislation] has impacted our ongoing safety mission by delaying and deferring work in many other areas," the letter said. "The deadlines mandated in the [legislation] have jeopardized our ability to meet Commission priorities and proven to be too much for a relatively small agency to handle all at once." The letter is a response to a series of questions posed by Rep. John Dingell, D-Mich., the former chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee and a chief architect of the original bill. That legislation banned lead and chemical phthalates in children's toys while reauthorizing and increasing funding for the CPSC.

While the legislation's ban on phthalates was more controversial at the time, the provision banning lead in all parts of children's toys has turned out to be the most problematic. Many retailers -- including thrift stores, bookstores, and even yard sales and church bazaars -- have been affected and the agency said it has been inundated with requests for guidance. "The scope of products covered by the new regulation and the amount of inventory implicated went well beyond what many may have contemplated," the letter said. The agency placed the cost of lost business at well over $1 billion and said "millions" of products were likely sitting in warehouses to be destroyed. The agency is asking Congress to allow risk-based assessments to prioritize the testing requirements in the law. Lead in a bicycle might be less dangerous than lead in children's jewelry that could be easily handled and ingested by a toddler, the agency points out.

House and Senate Democrats blamed the agency for the delays in a February letter and called on President Obama to quickly appoint a new CPSC commissioner. "Unfortunately, the implementation process of the [legislation] has been grossly mishandled by acting Chairman Nancy Nord," the Feb. 3 letter said. Senate Commerce Chairman John (Jay) Rockefeller, Sen. Mark Pryor, D-Ark., House Energy and Commerce Chairman Henry Waxman and Rep. Bobby Rush, D-Ill., signed the letter. Nord still heads the agency. House Energy and Commerce ranking member Joe Barton has called for Congress to delay implementing the legislation and wants to hold hearings on the issue. Calls to Dingell's office were not immediately returned.

by Kasie Hunt

Now, on top of that, it has also come to my attention that several folks in our industry have meetings planned and set for this tuesday.

Davey Coombs, Tim Cotter, Ed Moreland and Paul Vitrano have meetings set up with Congressman John Murtha (D- PA...set up through Jeff Cernic of Cernic's, located in PA), a representative of Congressman Robert Byrd's office, and the coup de grâce , a sit down with Jay Rockereller, Senate Chair of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)

Pass this along via email and post on every website you know....GET THE WORD OUT!!
--------------------------------------------
KEEP THE PRESSURE ON!!!! WERE STARTING TO KICK SOME MAJOR @SS!!!!

hondariderdylan
03-23-2009, 06:59 AM
hell yea

lets show the feds:D :macho

BlasterEaten250
03-23-2009, 08:21 AM
There was a big article about it on the front page of my newspaper today. Even they think it's stupid

honda400ex2003
03-23-2009, 05:25 PM
NICE!!! we are gonna get them yet!! steve

slither
03-25-2009, 12:30 AM
done !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Twice!!!!!!!!!!!!! once for and once for my wife

honda400ex2003
03-25-2009, 08:39 AM
Nice thanks!!! steve

quad2xtreme
03-25-2009, 02:52 PM
link to ARRA (http://www.arra-access.com:80/campaign/adv_s608/3kgxid5rzjbb7xd8?)

This is the link you need to visit to make a difference now...this is for the bill S. 608 - to stop the ban.

honda400ex2003
03-25-2009, 03:28 PM
I just did this too. Thanks for the link again, steve

hondariderdylan
03-25-2009, 05:48 PM
i just saw the new cover of quad magazine on there myspace and this story has a headline across the top of the cover

this will help get the word out even more

hondariderdylan
03-25-2009, 05:50 PM
here it is