PDA

View Full Version : chain and srockets

atvnut22
02-12-2009, 09:32 PM
it looks like its time for new sprockets and a chain. i have been told to stick with steel, but also heard they rob power because of their weight, so what is a good affordable but well make set of sprockets.

also, my bike is at a buddys house and cant take a look at it, but one of my friends said i will hhave to take my axle off casue i could get my srocke to the other side of the hub, but i didnt really think you would have to do this,and since i cant look at it, can someone tell me, thanks ahead of time for the advice.

d3ktrix
02-12-2009, 09:41 PM
You don't have to take the axle off to change the rear sprocket.

If your looking at the sprocket from behind the bike. The nuts are on the left side of the sprocket and allen head bolts on the right (carrier) side.

Only thing you have to take off is the left wheel.

atvnut22
02-12-2009, 09:43 PM
see, thats what i kept tellin him, but i didnt have my bike at my house to show him

Bugblaster91
02-13-2009, 01:24 AM
Also if its the stock chain it will not have a split link, so will need a chain breaking tool or a good saw!

06 Honda 450R
02-13-2009, 08:32 AM
i just put on some sunstar sprockets and they are almost the same as stock, but if you get a 36 rear you have to loosen the axle to where it slides over, you dont have to take off the hub, wheel, you just have to slide the axle over, to get the sprockets go to alljet.com and look the parts unlimited catalogs, and to get the chain breaker( hp somethin) , go to motosport.com, it works really good