PDA

View Full Version : Remote Air Filter

redonkulousruntsracing
02-12-2009, 09:26 PM
I am looking for suggestions on keeping my son from drowning his new quad. We live in Northern NY and wet tracks and water holes are a way of life up here. My yard almost always has 6 or 7 puddles with 4 inches of standing water in them. I am buying him a new 09 Hetrick Racing built Apex Pro MX 50 ATVA legal quad , and after spending upwards of $4000, I dont want him filling the engine full of water the firstime he rides it. Any ideas on re- locating the air filter to keep it from the spray that it gets in the stock location?

qcitytile
02-12-2009, 09:31 PM
I've seen one on hetricks web site you might talk to them.

Logan #34's Dad
02-12-2009, 09:42 PM
There is a tube that is made that connects to the carb and runs up under the front plastic behind the headlight.

90cc DAD
02-12-2009, 09:46 PM
We race in rain and this is the best thing we have found so far!!
It might look Stupid... But He won!!!
And the filter was dry after both races!!

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p422/Tylersdad95y/IMG_3490.jpg

90cc DAD
02-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Or this is what we ased before.
This set up works Great for Harescambles!!

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p422/Tylersdad95y/BoatDay001.jpg

etondaddy
02-13-2009, 06:27 AM
The good old dryer vent.......

Mike Kozura

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/IM003999_edited.jpg

redonkulousruntsracing
02-13-2009, 06:32 AM
Wow 90cc, I love it, that mud pic is about what my kid looks like after riding aroud our property. Did you fab your own set up in the bottom pic, or can I pick one up somewhere. I figure I could make something ot of molded radiator hose and PVC pipe, But I dont want his new quad looking too ghetto fabulous!!

Would a simple snorkle set up mess with the jetting? It wouldn't be restrictive, just wondering.

redonkulousruntsracing
02-13-2009, 06:36 AM
Hey logan's#34 dad, are you talking about the one I've seen on older DRRs? Any idea on where to get one and if it will affect performance. There must be a reason why everyone takes them off and just uses a pod filter right behind the front tire.

Logan #34's Dad
02-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Hey sickair, Yes the one that comes on the DRR would work as long as your still using the stock carb (16mm I believe). Call Marc at Hotquads for the snorkle. As far as performance, I believe that as long as you jet right (a little less air) It would be fine. We all use the pod filter only for better flow BUT if it rains and gets muddy - we're all running for our milk jugs and dryer hoses ect. Since it seems to be muddy where your at, I'd get the snorkle and be done with it. If you have a larger carb, the radiator hose idea is a good option and cheaper.
This Minarelli motor design is not the best for our mini's.
Also, there is a wedge block intake spacer thing that allows you to turn the carb around and point it toward the rear. Call Gary Fallon who has the Stage6 product line. Stage6 sells this block. You'll have to remove the long bolt that holds the engine up and replace it with two small bolts leaving a void for the carb to be in.
Hope this helps.

90cc DAD
02-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by sickairseth
Wow 90cc, I love it, that mud pic is about what my kid looks like after riding aroud our property. Did you fab your own set up in the bottom pic, or can I pick one up somewhere. I figure I could make something ot of molded radiator hose and PVC pipe, But I dont want his new quad looking too ghetto fabulous!!

Would a simple snorkle set up mess with the jetting? It wouldn't be restrictive, just wondering.

Yes this is Radiator hose, A couple adaptors, and hose clamps.
It works pretty good as long as there isn't ponds of water where they go through really fast and splash the water up under the
front plastic. It has worked great for harescambles. You just need to rejet for both set ups.

Etondaddy.... I see you have been around awhile!!
Like I said in the other post... You will learn as you go!!
Water in the carb will cost you a race!!

GNCC Laeger 250
02-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Hetrick's Air box will mount behind the headlight / radiator under the front fenders.

Works well........

Blaine

zach R 7x
02-14-2009, 07:56 AM
i talked to a guy this week ,and he got a quote from apex on a apex 90 that comes with a GNCC package. part of the package was a new intake and aluminum air box that mounts on the carb. i have heard about this before but have not seen it.

as for the hetrick air tube system, we ran it and had great luck with it . you do have to change jetting for it though, and it does not effect performance at all if jetted right.

bulldogfallon
02-21-2009, 10:48 AM
We have the DRR remote air tubes that fit on the bigger carbs...

They have a metal one for the small carbs, but now offer a plastic remote tube

PM me if you need...