PDA

View Full Version : is the kawi a hillclimber?

mikeyucha5
02-12-2009, 09:13 PM
i do alot of hillclimbs. i am looking for the best hillclimbing quad out there. what do you guys think my best bet is?

k4f5x0r
02-13-2009, 04:10 AM
it was good for the climbs i used it on. 60ish degree incline gravel and sand hillclimmbs. it did just fine. 3rd gear stay on the throttle.

was easy cause the kfx front end doesnt like to pull up that much :)

631kfx400
02-13-2009, 04:25 AM
^ u caught a foot of air on the only one you did:rolleyes: :blah:

k4f5x0r
02-13-2009, 04:26 AM
ive done moer then one. atleast i didnt almost flip back on a kfx400.. with one of your friends holding onto the front bumper making sure you dont flip down :rolleyes:

631kfx400
02-13-2009, 03:30 PM
jew^:devil:

Drewltr450
02-14-2009, 01:22 PM
2 tops

mod440ex
02-14-2009, 01:50 PM
i have got some hills on my place and its a beast on em, it does like to have the clutch slipped. these hills are 300 ft plus and range from 60-85 degrees.

MtnEX
02-19-2009, 02:59 AM
Trolling here.....

mod440ex,

Please tell me... what's it like going from the EX to the KFX?

I'm an eastern mountain trail rider... how does the KFX compare in the slower tighter technical stuff? How's the low end grunt?

mod440ex
02-19-2009, 07:30 AM
it has great low end grunt and being efi its got great throttle response. in the tight technical stuff i ussuall keep it in 2nd and just slip the clutch because 1st is just seems to low, but if it is really tight stuff i might just bump it down to first. i really enjoyed the ex while i had it, it was my first quad. however the power diff is no comparison. when going up really long windy hills it just doesnt run out of power.

MtnEX
02-19-2009, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by mod440ex
it has great low end grunt and being efi its got great throttle response. in the tight technical stuff i ussuall keep it in 2nd and just slip the clutch because 1st is just seems to low, but if it is really tight stuff i might just bump it down to first. i really enjoyed the ex while i had it, it was my first quad. however the power diff is no comparison. when going up really long windy hills it just doesnt run out of power.

Thank you.

That explaination was very helpful.

(I have a decision to make)

mod440ex
02-19-2009, 11:14 AM
dont get me wrong the ex was a good bike for me to start off on. and it was a lot of fun ridin through the trails, and was it durable, but knowing you have power to go up anything on our property is quite an awesome feeling. with me also riding mostly woods the reverse gear was a huge thing for me. hope that helps.

MtnEX
02-20-2009, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by mod440ex
dont get me wrong the ex was a good bike for me to start off on. and it was a lot of fun ridin through the trails, and was it durable, but knowing you have power to go up anything on our property is quite an awesome feeling. with me also riding mostly woods the reverse gear was a huge thing for me. hope that helps.

Yeah, I'm not knocking mine either.
I can find less to like about it than most others.
But mine needs engine mods.

For the money I can just get something else.

The KFX is one on my list...

It's supposed to have way more power down low & slow than other 450's?
It has reverse!!!!!!
It has better suspension!!!!!
It weighs less!!!
It has EFI!!!!
It's different.

k4f5x0r
02-20-2009, 01:31 PM
kawi has WAY more power down low compared to the other 450's. compared to the trx and LTR atleast.

MY two friends on the trx and ltr could do some hillclimbs in 2nd and its just not possible on the kfx because it simply runs outta gear too fast. i personally love the torque down low because it is really good on the track and i dont really have to switch gears too much. plus i never find myself doing 60+ :p

MtnEX
02-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by k4f5x0r
kawi has WAY more power down low compared to the other 450's. compared to the trx and LTR atleast.

MY two friends on the trx and ltr could do some hillclimbs in 2nd and its just not possible on the kfx because it simply runs outta gear too fast. i personally love the torque down low because it is really good on the track and i dont really have to switch gears too much. plus i never find myself doing 60+ :p

Yeah, I don't need to go super fast on top end either. There are few places to get that fast here.... and I do not care if my buddies can run me down on top end in a drag.

I don't want to be stalling in the trails or unable to take off on a hill or unable to easily go a slow speed when I need to.

k4f5x0r
02-20-2009, 04:58 PM
ill put it this way. the only time i use first gear for ANYTHING is when i either have 2 people on or when im just getting off the track. the first gear is basically nothing :devil:

631kfx400
02-20-2009, 05:03 PM
^ dont foget slow wheelies. there fun. i was practicing today:blah:

masterp0606
02-21-2009, 12:36 AM
The kfx is a great hill climber. Plenty of low end grunt. I raced my buddy when I was stock and he had a YFZ 450 with pipe, jet kit, cams,and air box mod. I took him until I hit 3rd then he just passed me. I haven't raced him with my mods but I am pretty sure I can take him.

MtnEX
02-21-2009, 01:54 PM
OK, I have also read that 1st and 2nd are almost the same... like 1st gear is a bit high. Any truth to that?

Also we have been talking about going up hills here.... but what about coming back down them? I have read that this engine has very little engine breaking for downhilling. Any truth to that?

mod440ex
02-21-2009, 02:25 PM
dont have any problems coming back down either, i never come back down a hill without pulling in the clutch or being in like 4th or 5th depends on how slow or fast i wanna come back down.