PDA

View Full Version : need a swingarm. help

gsxrkneedragger
02-12-2009, 07:34 PM
so i need some help. my main concern is i'm starting to hit 25'+ doubles, and singles to tables but the problem is the guy i bought it off of, broke the swingarm and had 4 inch wide, 1/4 inch thick aluminum plates welded to it. looked stock so i didn't even think about it. i'm starting to get worried that if i hit a jump and land really hard, its just going to crack again. the 2nd thing, is my chain will not stay tight. i crank on all 4 bolts for the carrier and snug the tensioner ones. what i need help with is buying a new swingarm. what is the point of a +1 1/2 one compared to stock? pros and cons. what brands? and anything i would need to know. i don't have a lot of money now so cheaper would be better, but the best bang for my buck. any help would be great. thanks

quad97
02-15-2009, 10:30 PM
I got a janssen one for my dvx. $700 round housing with lifetime warranty against bending and breakage. Tightening the chain is much eaiser than stock. I did have to machine the two spacers down that the bolts went through to hold the brake caliper on. The heads of the bolts that held the brake rotor to the hub would hit the caliper mounting plate slightly. They may have corrected the problem though.

RATPACK Z400
02-16-2009, 11:46 AM
my chain wouldn,t tighten then I took bolts out and they were stripped at the ends and not tighten tight and chain always needing tighten every couple of hours.get new bolts till you can replace swing-arm you cheapest way to go.

footy
02-17-2009, 07:38 PM
I have a swingarm for a 2003 Z400. I would sell it cheap, but it won't help you if you have any other year.

gsxrkneedragger
02-17-2009, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by footy
I have a swingarm for a 2003 Z400. I would sell it cheap, but it won't help you if you have any other year.

i have on 03, but why wouldn't it work on any other year? how much you looking to get for it? also, does it have the carrier and bearings? etc

footy
02-18-2009, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by gsxrkneedragger
i have on 03, but why wouldn't it work on any other year? how much you looking to get for it? also, does it have the carrier and bearings? etc
It does have bearings. The 2003 model uses a slightly different chain adjustment & rear brake set up than the 04 and newer models. I will get back to you on a price. I can tell you that shipping from NC to PA will be nearly $40.

kawiracerj
02-18-2009, 07:47 AM
take the bolts out of carrier and clean with a wire brush,lube them with LOCTITE and put them back in.that should help the loosening prob for now,but new bolts would last longer!

airmobile101
02-18-2009, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by kawiracerj
take the bolts out of carrier and clean with a wire brush,lube them with LOCTITE and put them back in.that should help the loosening prob for now,but new bolts would last longer!
I tried that with new bolts and Blue Loctite and ended up with the same problem. If you can afford an aftermarket Honda style swinger, that would be your best bet. I know those things are expensive,but it saves yea alot of headache.

footy
02-18-2009, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by airmobile101
I tried that with new bolts and Blue Loctite and ended up with the same problem. If you can afford an aftermarket Honda style swinger, that would be your best bet. I know those things are expensive,but it saves yea alot of headache.

Yes that is what I did. It ain't cheap but it is the bomb!

airmobile101
02-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by footy
Yes that is what I did. It ain't cheap but it is the bomb!
That sh*t is tight!!!:devil:

gsxrkneedragger
02-18-2009, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by airmobile101

when you say the honda style, you just mean like an aftermarket one like a houser or whatever that has the bearing carrier oblong shape type of deal, right? like the one footy did?

airmobile101
02-18-2009, 09:32 PM
when you say the honda style, you just mean like an aftermarket one like a houser or whatever that has the bearing carrier oblong shape type of deal, right? like the one footy did?
You are correct. The Honda style is what all aftermarket companies follow. I run a Houser , but there are plenty that make them. The 2003 z400 I had ran a LSR swinger. You can catch a good deal on one for a couple of hundred thats used if you keep an eye out for it.

airmobile101
02-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Dont mind the dirt and rust:D

gsxrkneedragger
02-19-2009, 02:51 PM
thanks for the info so far, now what about the difference between long travel and regular. and also what are some pros and cons of extending it. like i've seen +1 1/2. is that a lot? i usually ride trails and ride on some homemade tracks if that helps.

airmobile101
02-19-2009, 03:23 PM
thanks for the info so far, now what about the difference between long travel and regular. and also what are some pros and cons of extending it. like i've seen +1 1/2. is that a lot? i usually ride trails and ride on some homemade tracks if that helps.
Mine is a 1.25" extended travel. It really helps keeps the "bucking" effect to minimum. There is a post somewhere that explains the difference with the stock length and the extended length. I do know for a fact it alittle harder to pop a wheelie with the extended swinger. I don't remember if you will need an extended shock as well. I bought my stuff in a package type deal awhile back from someone that had decided to go a different route.