PDA

View Full Version : Gearing VS Raw Power

GIXXER1KR
02-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Just got a question about something i never given much thought.I have a really well built motor that is unbeleivable on the MX track.I dont plan on using it there much and am gonna go back to woods riding.I want more low end.My motor makes killa power but it pulls great but pulls harder and harder the longer i can bear to hold on.But i want it sooner.Now i am debating going with a more aggressive low end cam.(not sure what).But what affect would i get from changing my gearing for more low end vs my cam.

maddmatt02
02-12-2009, 06:36 PM
if every gear pulls hard as is, no real reason to lower the gearing, unless you mean it doesnt pull the gear until it gets high in the RPM's and then it starts pulling good. whats your gearing at now? do you ever ride high speed trails sitting up in 5th? if so you dont wanna gear down.

d3ktrix
02-12-2009, 09:15 PM
Yeah it sucks that you cant have both.

Your choice should depend on how you like to ride the bike.
If you like to ride it revved up all day then lower the gearing and keep the engine the same.
Or if you like to cruise around using the low RPM TQ change engine components.

GIXXER1KR
02-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Im running stock gearing and was thinking of changing the cam for more low end grunt but dont wanna spend $200 and go back to square 1 because i dont like it.I have the stock 06 cam that i replaced with the 06 HRC kit and am now running the Web 943 with my DRG build.So i have 3 cams right now.But last time i rode woods i ran 22" tires.I am ordering some 20" tires.And no i dont ride 5th gear trails.If i hit 5th in the trails i ride i probably would not be here talking to u.LOL..Where would u ride 5th gear in the woods.That would sound more like a highway cutting thru the suburbs LOLOLOL....

d3ktrix
02-12-2009, 10:44 PM
Give Chad a call he could probably recommend something good for you.

Most people only match small low end cams with stock heads. (06 HRC / 02 CRF)

You need something that won't make ur head work useless.

I was just looking at the webcam site, the 570/993 looks like it could be a good middle ground going by the #'s.
Larger lift but still short duration. You would need HD springs though.
I dunno though, check with someone that knows what they are talking about :P

GIXXER1KR
02-13-2009, 06:22 AM
Yeah im gonna give him a call.I do have HD springs,43mm carb,+1 mm exhaust valves with kibble white valves and a high comp DRG piston and head work.

chad502ex
02-13-2009, 06:46 AM
yup, the cheapest and easiest route may be changing up the gearing.... maybe dropping one tooth up front or maybe one or two up in the back....

if that doesn't bias your power curve the way you want you may have to go with a mid to top cam such as the web 493/729 or the cheap drop in HCS2...

If your going for stump pulling low end consider the 02 crf or hcs1...

Let me know if you need any help, but gear changes could be the cheapest route...

maddmatt02
02-13-2009, 08:43 AM
well, its happened in open woods to me. was on my girls yfz and there were lots of service roads leading to all the trailheads, and id definately fly down those in 5th, and id b etowards the top of 4th in some of them. of course some were no faster than 2nd in some places. and where I used to live there were lots of trails behind my house in the woods, but it wasnt very dense woods and not many sharp turns, we took a 02 cr125 out there and had it pinned around those trails. guess it depends on your woods. but if you never use 5th, gearing down would help you get out of those low R's a bit faster.

WilRideAnything
02-13-2009, 06:31 PM
If you ran 22" tires in the woods, going to 20" tires is like going down 1 tooth on the front sprocket. The tire change should fix you up. Also after the tire change if you want a little more low end but not too drastic, go up 1 tooth on the rear sprocket. I run 14/39 for the woods with 20" rear tires. It works good for me.