PDA

View Full Version : atv in baja 500 ?'s

buck440
02-12-2009, 10:18 AM
i seen somewhere that someone had a nearly stock 400ex and ran it in the baja 500 and i thought that would be pretty cool to do, so my question is what all needs to be done 'officially' so you can go in it, like cost to go in it, classes if so, ect

05LSR250R
02-12-2009, 11:22 AM
I would go to the SCORE website for that information. I've heard its a logistical nightmare gettin; things set up like pit stops and such. Definitely gonna need alot of team support to get you goin'. Just my 2 cents.

buck440
02-12-2009, 12:18 PM
yah that was my biggest worry is the pitting situation

05LSR250R
02-12-2009, 12:56 PM
I think you can get pit support from Honda directly. You put the spare parts in their pits along the race course. I think they supply the fuel and you supply the parts, or somethin like that. Anyway, I think it costs like1200 dollars for that, not sure, I do know it aint cheap! But nothin' is when your racing BAJA. Go to the score site if you haven't already done so.

buck440
02-12-2009, 01:22 PM
yah, eventhough it was an in and out thought i'll probably be getting way over my head

05LSR250R
02-12-2009, 01:52 PM
I've always wanted to run the course! But not the race, way too HAIRY, I've read and heard some real horror stories about what goes on during the race. Wouldn't mind takin' a vacation and runnin' it though. Maybe one of those Baja Adventure type things they have, but with my own quad.

buck440
02-12-2009, 02:00 PM
i've seen where the mexicans dig holes and put logs on the track and seen on tv where they throw stuff at you too...like you said, i would love to ride it too but on my own terms

Exrider434
02-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by buck440
i've seen where the mexicans dig holes and put logs on the track and seen on tv where they throw stuff at you too...like you said, i would love to ride it too but on my own terms \

I heard they string wire across the trails so when people ride through it can take off their heads.....:ermm:

buck440
02-12-2009, 03:56 PM
screw that..... but kinda cool

CannondaleRider
02-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Yeah....Baja has some sketchy things about it. Some years are flawless, some are terrible.

If you were to actually want to run a race in Baja, I would recommend not jumping directly into Baja if you've never had any previous desert experience. Run one or two US desert races....Las Vegas 150, Parker 250, Henderson Terrible 400, etc. Jumping straight into the Baja 500 would be a lot to handle, for an inexperienced desert racer. Desert racing is a whole different animal.

buck440
02-12-2009, 06:17 PM
yah im pretty much saying forget it now cause i really dont have the money at all....heck i've been out of my car for half a year cause it needs a $400 tranny....im broke and the only job there is is at the junk yard so im just thinking out loud pretty much.

Robin Hood
02-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Exrider434
\

I heard they string wire across the trails so when people ride through it can take off their heads.....:ermm:

Every dream I've ever had about running the Baja - Gone.

Ain't worth it.

buck440
02-12-2009, 07:00 PM
i've also heard they tie tons of fish hooks on strings to trees and bushes you got to go by and when you run into them............. :(

trick250r
02-12-2009, 07:48 PM
horror stories and all, id still love to do it... race the ironman class and have my arse handed to me. id love it.

1socal450
02-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Most of the myths on boobytrapping are just that,myths!The residents there love the racers,they do set up jumps and stuff.They had a few isolated happenings in the past forcing accidents and then stripping down trophy trucks and other vehicles,that doesnt happen much in the day and age of navigation and more helicopters out there.The reason I wont go down there anymore are not the dangers on the course but the dangers traveling on the roads/crossing border/hotels.The drug cartels are at war down there trying to gain control of the borders.You think the economy is bad here,down there they target american plates for jackings,people are hungry down there.Dont believe for a minute I will be driving my 40K truck pulling a trailer with bikes down there,forget it! I havent been down there since I broke a couple ribs a few years ago(I did a face plant jumping by Rosarito beach-OUCH!).Remember,thats where Wes Miller(H-Bomb films) got stabbed in the back while taking a piss in a public bathroom,GOOD LUCK!!!