PDA

View Full Version : limp mode

andiboy123
02-12-2009, 08:14 AM
This weekend I experience the limp mode effect, hehehe. Now my engine got heated and the check engine light turn on ant the engine didn’t rev up. I know there have been a couple of thread about this, DGS said he solve it by doing the holes on the fearing and heat tape on the tank I just did 5 laps on the track but also my radiator fan wasn’t turning on, it’s that because of the mode? It’s there are a list of things why the check engine turn on? I change my oil and change the fan relay to just in case. I’m going to drill holes today!!! And placing that heat tape, there is anything else I should do?

TNT
02-12-2009, 09:01 AM
Well my friend first check your fan fuse then the motor, then your thermostat, then your water pump(there is a leak hole on it if you see a leak the seal is bad needs replace), then replace your coolant if needed, then check for leaks, coolant temp sensor, intermediate gear…..or just make sure you got flow. From there take your 08 to the dealer they can change your limp mode to 120 C from 108 C so it's does not go on so often. They should do that for free!

If you need more help checking stuff let me know which one and I'll tell you how.

The heat tape is for the fuel tank for high mod motors but you can get some from BRP and put it all over your coolant recovery and fuel tank, I suggest you do for like $40. Also keep your radiator fins clean.

florentino
02-12-2009, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by andiboy123
This weekend I experience the limp mode effect, hehehe. Now my engine got heated and the check engine light turn on ant the engine didn’t rev up. I know there have been a couple of thread about this, DGS said he solve it by doing the holes on the fearing and heat tape on the tank I just did 5 laps on the track but also my radiator fan wasn’t turning on, it’s that because of the mode? It’s there are a list of things why the check engine turn on? I change my oil and change the fan relay to just in case. I’m going to drill holes today!!! And placing that heat tape, there is anything else I should do?

try engine ice it will drop your temp down, my fan was not working so i hot wire it to running all the time

andiboy123
02-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by TNT1
Well my friend first check your fan fuse then the motor, then your thermostat, then your water pump(there is a leak hole on it if you see a leak the seal is bad needs replace), then replace your coolant if needed, then check for leaks, coolant temp sensor, intermediate gear…..or just make sure you got flow. From there take your 08 to the dealer they can change your limp mode to 120 C from 108 C so it's does not go on so often. They should do that for free!

If you need more help checking stuff let me know which one and I'll tell you how.

The heat tape is for the fuel tank for high mod motors but you can get some from BRP and put it all over your coolant recovery and fuel tank, I suggest you do for like $40. Also keep your radiator fins clean.

A FAN FUSE? OR THE FAN RELAY?

TNT
02-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Well you said you put in a new fan relay if not take that new fuel pump relay you have and swap it over to the fan relay on the other side of the main in the middle. Then check the 20 amp fan fuse by the top LH engine mount braket next to 15 and 5 amp. Yes there is a 20 A fan fuse and relay you have to check! If thats not it let me know and I'll tell you how to check you fan motor.

BTW the limp mode won't cause the fan to go out. What it does is limits the amount of revs. In 08 it was 5,000, 09-7,000....you can get the 09 program update to your ECM at the dealer. All the limp mode does is protect the engine from high revs but allows you enough to be able to ride it back to your truck.

Yeah ICE is good stuff!

BamBam730
02-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Well you said you put in a new fan relay if not take that new fuel pump relay you have and swap it over to the fan relay on the other side of the main in the middle. Then check the 20 amp fan fuse by the top LH engine mount braket next to 15 and 5 amp. Yes there is a 20 A fan fuse and relay you have to check! If thats not it let me know and I'll tell you how to check you fan motor.

BTW the limp mode won't cause the fan to go out. What it does is limits the amount of revs. In 08 it was 5,000, 09-7,000....you can get the 09 program update to your ECM at the dealer. All the limp mode does is protect the engine from high revs but allows you enough to be able to ride it back to your truck.

Yeah ICE is good stuff!

TNT1, I am gathering from your post that the limp mode is a default that keeps the engine from reving due to a problem with that engine? Am i correct? Can you please explain the limp mode in greater detail? Thanks

Mr. Big Time
02-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Yes it stops the bike from being able to rev up high so you dont blow your motor. You can get in limp mode from various things. The ones I know about is over heating of the engine and over heating of the air box sensor. You can also get into limp mode from your bike not reading enough voltage, so say if the cable that hooks to the battery comes loose and isnt giving the right voltage readings, it will go into limp mode. That has happend to me before and it states it in the service manual.

andiboy123
02-13-2009, 04:34 AM

Yeah ICE is good stuff!

it was the fan relay.... yesterday i drill the holes on the plastic an also replace the relay and everything whent well, i will be posting a vid soon of some riding here in pr!!!!!!!

TNT
02-13-2009, 06:33 AM
There are several engine protection or Fault Modes, the Engine Rev Limiter(input from crank position/speed sensor), Drowned Mode, Diagnostic Mode, Monitoring System/Fault Codes, and a Limp Home Mode, as part of the Engine Management System. In the Limp mode, the ECM automatically sets default parameters to manage the engine and protect the engine if a component of the FUEL system is not working properly. The engine will operate at reduced performance to protect the engine. In more severe cases, engine rev will be limited. These performance reduced modes allow the rider to go back home which would not be otherwise possible without this advanced system.

Inside the ECM the Motorizing System has a Self Diagnostics of it's electronic components(control modules, sensors, and actuators) to ascertain if they are not faulty or defective. The Mode is activated when the key is turned on. Some functions like the fuel injectors need the engine running to be monitored.

When a malfunction occurs the ECM sets an active fault code, adopts the proper protection strategy according to the failure, sends out a signal to the pilot light to inform the rider.

When a minor fault occurs, the check engine light goes on and the fault may disappear automatically when the ignition key is turned off, then turned back on. When an important fault occurs the check engine light will flash.

In the following situations the REVS will be limited…….

High Engine Temp:
232-246 F- 10,250 RPM
248-266 F- 8,750 RPM
above 266 F- 7,000 RPM

Limp Mode: 5500 RPM (8,000 in 09)

Low or high battery voltage 10,250 RPM

Safety Fuel Cut off: 7,000 RPM

Fault codes are stored in the ECM.

So if you were to look at a flow chart of the Management Systems ECM computer program there would be a separate loop for the Limp Mode(fuel system failure), Rev Limiter, Battery Voltage, Safety Fuel Cut-Off, depending on the fault code.

I'm having my Limp Mode and the rest of the Engine Protection and Rev Limiting System removed.

Any questions just ask! :cool:

florentino
02-13-2009, 08:26 AM
There are several engine protection or Fault Modes, the Engine Rev Limiter(input from crank position/speed sensor), Drowned Mode, Diagnostic Mode, Monitoring System/Fault Codes, and a Limp Home Mode, as part of the Engine Management System. In the Limp mode, the ECM automatically sets default parameters to manage the engine and protect the engine if a component of the FUEL system is not working properly. The engine will operate at reduced performance to protect the engine. In more severe cases, engine rev will be limited. These performance reduced modes allow the rider to go back home which would not be otherwise possible without this advanced system.

Inside the ECM the Motorizing System has a Self Diagnostics of it's electronic components(control modules, sensors, and actuators) to ascertain if they are not faulty or defective. The Mode is activated when the key is turned on. Some functions like the fuel injectors need the engine running to be monitored.

When a malfunction occurs the ECM sets an active fault code, adopts the proper protection strategy according to the failure, sends out a signal to the pilot light to inform the rider.

When a minor fault occurs, the check engine light goes on and the fault may disappear automatically when the ignition key is turned off, then turned back on. When an important fault occurs the check engine light will flash.

In the following situations the REVS will be limited…….

High Engine Temp:
232-246 F- 10,250 RPM
248-266 F- 8,750 RPM
above 266 F- 7,000 RPM

Limp Mode: 5500 RPM (8,000 in 09)

Low or high battery voltage 10,250 RPM

Safety Fuel Cut off: 7,000 RPM

Fault codes are stored in the ECM.

So if you were to look at a flow chart of the Management Systems ECM computer program there would be a separate loop for the Limp Mode(fuel system failure), Rev Limiter, Battery Voltage, Safety Fuel Cut-Off, depending on the fault code.

I'm having my Limp Mode and the rest of the Engine Protection and Rev Limiting System removed.

Any questions just ask! :cool:

how ?? are you going to to that your self or dealer? if so this will be the best up grade..

TNT
02-13-2009, 09:14 AM
I'm getting it removed for pro MX and a very powerful motor.. I went through my dealer who is a major sponsor they contacted the Warnet Race Team and got me approved, so I am sending them my ECU. Now understand I will be running a risk and have to watch my engine temp, worse case is I will blow a head gasket the aluminum engine is good to 4-500 F. These modes are for people that will try and run the quad when it's overheating,etc, it's an idiot proofing and probably saves BRP some warranty cost. I just can't afford rev limits when in the air on a big jump, I'd rather hurt the quad than the racer. Now dunners, xc's, recreational riders may want the protection.

florentino
02-13-2009, 09:34 AM
I'm getting it removed for pro MX and a very powerful motor.. I went through my dealer who is a major sponsor they contacted the Warnet Race Team and got me approved, so I am sending them my ECU. Now understand I will be running a risk and have to watch my engine temp, worse case is I will blow a head gasket the aluminum engine is good to 4-500 F. These modes are for people that will try and run the quad when it's overheating,etc, it's an idiot proofing and probably saves BRP some warranty cost. I just can't afford rev limits when in the air on a big jump, I'd rather hurt the quad than the racer. Now dunners, xc's, recreational riders may want the protection.

thats true. you can die on a big jump if the bike stalls, i have been racing my yfz 450 and doing good, won last weeend, it sucks i can race my ds , the bad part is, that my dealer will not change the program of an 2009 .. its because they dont know how. i do all motor work on all my quads its sucks i can do that on the ds, now i think ds is the best quad on suspencion, but ktms are good on the holeshot .. i always get the hole shot on my races and got pass just one time .. but in california competicion its good,

TNT
02-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by florentino
thats true. you can die on a big jump if the bike stalls, i have been racing my yfz 450 and doing good, won last weeend, it sucks i can race my ds , the bad part is, that my dealer will not change the program of an 2009 .. its because they dont know how. i do all motor work on all my quads its sucks i can do that on the ds, now i think ds is the best quad on suspencion, but ktms are good on the holeshot .. i always get the hole shot on my races and got pass just one time .. but in california competicion its good,

I sent you a PM.