PDA

View Full Version : 250r ignition

CoDean45
02-12-2009, 05:15 AM
has anyone ever tried the dynatek cdi boxes or the Janseen Motorsports Super coil? How was the performance gains and is it comparable to the CR250 ignition?

Honda 250r 001
02-12-2009, 10:26 AM
if your gonna get the dyna get the programable one. the non program able one is nothing but the 88-89 curve. get a nology coil thats the best coil you can get.

dunatic
02-12-2009, 10:54 AM
dont buy either of the dyna's. the programmable one is a POS. Had 3 die. Dyna doesnt make em anymore for a reason...theyre is a problem with em, they dont know what it is and since sales are so slow on them now, they wont take the time to figure it out.

the non programmable is just the 88-89 curve.

there is no need for a BIG coil either. the OEM one works just fine. re-condition your electrical system and gap your stator pickup and brand new spark plug to .018" and it will work as good as you need it to.

A big coil will not change a week spark pickup from your stator. if you stator is not putting out the juice, neither will any coil.

If you want the ulitmate, switch over to the ESR CR type, then buy a VORTEX programmable CDI system with software and cable. Once Ricky starts making a CR type with a high output lighting circuit, we will all think weve died and gone to heaven.

86 Quad R
02-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by dunatic
dont buy either of the dyna's. the programmable one is a POS. Had 3 die. Dyna doesnt make em anymore for a reason...theyre is a problem with em, they dont know what it is and since sales are so slow on them now, they wont take the time to figure it out.

the non programmable is just the 88-89 curve.

there is no need for a BIG coil either. the OEM one works just fine. re-condition your electrical system and gap your stator pickup and brand new spark plug to .018" and it will work as good as you need it to.

A big coil will not change a week spark pickup from your stator. if you stator is not putting out the juice, neither will any coil.

If you want the ulitmate, switch over to the ESR CR type, then buy a VORTEX programmable CDI system with software and cable. Once Ricky starts making a CR type with a high output lighting circuit, we will all think weve died and gone to heaven.

i hear that.......... it wont be soon enough:cool:

BKex
02-12-2009, 12:19 PM
I wouldnt waste your money on a dyna, just save up and get a cr ignition.

I have a dyna and it died within 10 minutes of having it on the quad, luckily they replaced it and i haven't had any more problems.

derby
02-12-2009, 04:55 PM
I have had 1 trx dyna programmable for over 2 years no problems. I just purchased another. Both have been reprogrammed.

Nology coils are just a modified PVL. You could just use a PVL and get the same results.

Nology wires are not going to help. What goes into the wire is what comes out of the wire. The wire will not generate any more output than what is put into it. As said the stock coil will work perfectly.

Dunatic where did you get the software and cable for the vortex. Last time I checked it was $900 and was only availble to dealers

dunatic
02-12-2009, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by derby
Dunatic where did you get the software and cable for the vortex. Last time I checked it was $900 and was only available to dealers

a dealer

machwon
02-13-2009, 04:29 AM
As Derby said, his info is good. I've used the dyna's with no issues on 250R's, yfz450's, Banshee's. The nology coil I've seen used on a banshee broke down at less than 70 hp. Almost every aftermarket ignition component (except pvl's) won't work after 70 hp on a banshee. It might work at first and still be functional, but it will start to missfire after a short time with the more powerful engines. Doesn't duncan racing deal with the Vortec igntions?

dunatic
02-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Ive had great luck with dyna on other bikes, just not the 250r. Pick your favorite bike and check their website. They will make and sell em....just not the 250r

CoDean45
02-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Thanks for all the great info guys. I think I will just save up for the CR ignition. I have upgraded to a 310 kit and all the other usual add-ons. I just thought I would upgrade the ignition next. Mine works fine, I am really just looking for better performance for mx racing.

kiesta00
02-13-2009, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by derby
Nology coils are just a modified PVL. You could just use a PVL and get the same results.

Nology wires are not going to help. What goes into the wire is what comes out of the wire. The wire will not generate any more output than what is put into it.

A PVL ignition setup and a nology coil are NOT the same thing...how do you get a coil is a modified PVL? pvl's replace the stator, flywheel, and coil all into one package...

Also, nology wires have some capacitance built into the wires, and when they capacitor is wired in parallel with the voltage source (coil), the capacitor acts as a current resevoir that will boost the current being supplied to the spark plug when it fires rather than having only the coil connected to the spark plug.

Honda 250r 001
02-14-2009, 07:51 AM
Anyone ever tried Ricks, Hot shot box? search on google and you will find lots of links. it looks pretty cool.

derby
02-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Keista I know that all of the nology 2-stroke coils are made by PVL. Check your nology coil over real carefully. You will see that on one side of the coil it says "PVL made in Germany". I think you misunderstood what I said. I was not saying that a nology setup was the same as a PVL. I was trying to say Nology coil=PVL coil.

There is no capacitor in the nology wires as they claim. You own one you should know. You do not get the gains in spark that they claim. You end up with an expensive stock replacement coil that caused you to cut up your stock wiring harness.