PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Question....

Exrider434
02-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Alright so i have a 96' Ford Thunderbird lol, well when i take it out of park and put it in reverse, drive, 1, or 2, it makes the entire car vibrate...

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Its nothing in the motor itself because it only does it when the transmission is engaged and at idle, once the car gets moving its hardly noticeable..

I was thinking possibly something in the transmission mounts are loose? No ideas other than that, btw its a RWD car if that helps at all?

Thanks in advance.

05LSR250R
02-12-2009, 06:41 AM
I,m no transmission tech by any means, but my friend had a similar problem with his Blazer. Thought it was some sort of trans solenoid. I'll ask him tonite, see exactly what it was. His eventually got so bad that when you put it in drive it would shake then die if you didnt step on the gas a little.

ZBlaster
02-12-2009, 09:02 AM
When the bearings were going in my buddies AOD in his 95 GT it did the same thing.

Exrider434
02-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by 05LSR250R
I,m no transmission tech by any means, but my friend had a similar problem with his Blazer. Thought it was some sort of trans solenoid. I'll ask him tonite, see exactly what it was. His eventually got so bad that when you put it in drive it would shake then die if you didnt step on the gas a little.

hmm, it did do that once where it wouldnt idle unless i was on the gas a little, but changed the plugs and that stopped, also was thinking possibly a leak in vacuum lines or something like that?

Which 450?
02-12-2009, 04:33 PM
any vibration or anything while hes driving?

Exrider434
02-12-2009, 08:56 PM
its not noticeable at all while driving..

Lowcountrydave
02-12-2009, 10:32 PM
This could be a long shot... But does the car have a/c and was it on when you shifted the transmission? Some cars have a IAC (Idle Air Control Motor) It brings the idle up when the a/c is on. So the engine doesn't staul.

Just a thought, it will make the car shake and possible cut off because it doesn't idle the engine up.

Try turning off the a/c and shift into gear. If it doesn't shake anymore the IAC motor is bad.

Dave

fasterblaster09
02-13-2009, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Lowcountrydave
This could be a long shot... But does the car have a/c and was it on when you shifted the transmission? Some cars have a IAC (Idle Air Control Motor) It brings the idle up when the a/c is on. So the engine doesn't staul.

Just a thought, it will make the car shake and possible cut off because it doesn't idle the engine up.

Try turning off the a/c and shift into gear. If it doesn't shake anymore the IAC motor is bad.

Dave

I just recently had that problem with my mustang before i sold it, the shop told me that the sensor was out, so get it diagnostic tested, cost me arount $20 to get it tested