PDA

View Full Version : timing question/wont start

custom R
02-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Ok I just rebuilt the top end and got it all together and it wont start It seems to be getting gas and im def getting spark but im not even getting a sputter .I took a piece of wire and stuck it in the spark plug hole to find out tdc and to see where the pick up qnd the magnet on the fly wheel were and the whole magnet was about 3/4 of an inch past the center of the pick up is that right ?I figured it would be real close or even on the magnet at tdc

Or is this a carb issue i have the same jetting in as before i put a diff needle in but i dont think that would make it not start at all and it ran good before just a little lean in the midrange right now i have a 50 pilot djj needle and 185 main

like I said it ran great before rebuild with new piston, compression feels good spark plug has a little film of gas after a bunch of kicks so I think it gettin gas

mxduner
02-11-2009, 11:13 PM
well lets start with basics... you have spark, you say you have fuel, how about compression? those are all needed for your bike to run. can you take a compression test? if so how much? if you have at least 150-160 ish then go from there.good luck let us know

custom R
02-12-2009, 05:52 PM
I have 180 lbs of compression so its good im gonna mess with the carb a little and see what I can get out of it but im not feelin real confident it ran fine before the rebuild so im thinkin the carb is good I cleamed it with carb cleaner while it was apart and every thing seemed clean I have a diff cdi im gonna try I'll let ya know how its goes a little later

Honda 250r 001
02-12-2009, 06:25 PM
spray ether in it and see if it fires. put about 1 pound of pressure on your gas tank and see if your carb is air locked. put a little pressure on it until fuel runs out the over flow lines. then try to fire it up. make sure your reeds are good and make sure nothings in the air boot or exhaust that would restrict flow. also try pull starting it behind a truck. for some reason on my last rebuild i had to pull start it to get it to fire. i would kick for hours and nothing. i pulled it and it fired within seconds.

05LSR250R
02-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Buddt and I went to look at a 250R years ago that he wanted to buy. Thing had fuel and spark but wouldnt start. Had a fresh tear down and rebuild. I looked at my buddy like it was something simple. He ended up gettin the guy down 1500 because it wouldn't run. Bought it home took off the carb and low and behold! The guy forgot to take a rag out of the intake side of the carb! (LOL) What a steal!

custom R
02-12-2009, 07:19 PM
Theres nothing in the air way I pulled the carb off and all clear I put a little shot of either in it and I got a little backfire but thats it I pulled the fly wheel off and the keyway is fine i put a drill on the flywheel nut and removed the spark plug and its definatly getting spark i pulled the carb back off cleaned it real good so im gonna try it again i'll post back in a few

custom R
02-12-2009, 09:35 PM
im stumped I cleaned the carb real good everything was clear I put a 55 pilot in to see if it would change anything and nothing I double checked comp and its 180 I have spark for sure but it wont do anything I sprayed a shot of ether in the plug hole as a last effort and still nothing not even a sputter, I dont get it

2-330s
02-12-2009, 09:45 PM
try putting a new plug in it gaped at 18 thou

custom R
02-12-2009, 09:50 PM
tried that nothing

2-330s
02-12-2009, 09:56 PM
dump a little pre mix into the intake and kick it 6-10 times with the choke on (and carb) if i dosn't fire pull the plug and see if it's wet

dove
02-13-2009, 03:35 PM
did you put the piston in the right way?i know it sounds stupid but i had an lt 80,that someone gave to me which had a new piston installed and that wouldnt go ,turned out he had put the piston arrow facing forwards (which is usually normal)but the lt80 engine sits the other way(exhaust comes out the back)and the arrow always points to the exhaust,turned it round and it fired right up.worth a check anyway.

custom R
02-13-2009, 04:53 PM
ok so I had a buddy pull it with my rhino and it fired right up as soon as I let the cluch out it ran for about 30 seconds and died so I tried again but I think it fouled the plug because it smoked like crazy and I had a fat pilot in it so im gonna change the pilot and put a new plug in it and try again tomorrow but I tried putting a new plug in the boot and kicked it but I dont think im gettin spark now so maybe my problem is starting to show im gonna check the coil and stator with a meter and see whats up

kiesta00
02-13-2009, 11:13 PM
I wouldn't advise pull starting a two stroke like that...if the engine is not getting fuel and you're spinning the engine at a couople thousand RPM, then it's not getting any oil/gas mixture to lubricate the piston and cylinder walls...big time mistake.

If it won't start while kick starting it, then something is wrong. Try going down to a 48 pilot and see what that does. 185 main seems fat as hell. I usually run a dgh needle on gas with a 170 main on the stock cylinder setup. With the big bore cylinder, more fuel is not always necessary since the bigger motor will have a strong fuel signal...meaning it will want to pull in more fuel for the same size jet. Try backing down on the jets and see what that does.

Honda 250r 001
02-14-2009, 08:31 AM
defeneatly. your jets are too big if your not going big bore. and yes its not a good idea but it got him started. if he wouldnt have dont that it would still be setting in his shop now knowing whats wrong! you get it turning over for a few seconds, and if it doesnt start. you let off.

custom R
02-14-2009, 11:49 AM
I didnt pull it long at all maybe 20 feet I just wanted to get it spinning and see if it would stsrt but anyway I found the problem it was the coil I guess it just had a weak spark I put a different coil on and fires first kick every time

as far as jetting the pilot is too big I know but the 185 main is right on and I think i might put a slightly richer needle and put a 50 pilot in it but I gotta break it in before I mess with all that

Thanks for all the help fella's