PDA

View Full Version : snorkel....or not?

1promodfan
02-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Can someone tell me what the pros/cons are of running a snorkel on your airbox? I currently run a stock airbos w/ no lid and a K&N filter. Does the snorkel help get more air into the motor? If so, doesn't more air get a little more power? I also have a Lonestar frame, so will it even work on my frame?

All250R
02-11-2009, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by 1promodfan
Can someone tell me what the pros/cons are of running a snorkel on your airbox? I currently run a stock airbos w/ no lid and a K&N filter. Does the snorkel help get more air into the motor? If so, doesn't more air get a little more power? I also have a Lonestar frame, so will it even work on my frame?
The snorkel is only useful if you have the lid installed. It limits the amount of water and debris the air filter sees by drawing it through a long section and the opening pointed downward. If you opened the box by removing the lid, the snorkel is function-less. You're not gaining previously unavailable air by having the snorkel still attached.

Rich250RRacer
02-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by 1promodfan

You can make the stock snorkel work on a Lonestar chassis, but it needs to be modified. And it depends on what year the chassis is. The rear section can be used on any year Lonestar, but you must make room for the cross brace on the front seat/fender mount. I used a heat gun to soften the snorkel, then used a piece of round stock or a phillips screwdriver to form a trench to clear the brace. Don't heat it too much or you'll end up tearing the snorkel. One downfall to this is the top of the subframe has to be unbolted and the subframe pivoted back to install or remove the snorkel. The front portion of the snorkel fit on my '01, with some modifications and reshaping with the heat gun. This takes a little time, but it can fit pretty well. There's no mounting tabs on the Lonestar, so you'll need to use zip-ties to keep it in place. On my '03, Lonestar raised the frame tube that the coil mounts to, so there was no room for the front portion of the snorkel without causing major tank mounting problems. I got around this by getting a piece of automotive defroster hose (I think 1 3/4" or 2" fit perfectly over the rear snorkel), and ran it UNDER the coil mount tube. Run this all the way to the front and secure it to the frame with zip-ties. If both quads weren't in winter storage, I'd get some pics for you. If you don't have anything done, I'll get some pics when I pull them out next month.