PDA

View Full Version : best mini for my 9yr old daughter???

Black R/T
02-11-2009, 07:15 PM
this will be her first quad, im not trying to spend alot on it because she is just learning. im looking in the 500 to 1000 dollar range. i know there are some good asian "off-brand" quads out there, tell me what you guys have had good experiences with.

thanks,
JP

ww228king
02-12-2009, 06:31 AM
You might be able to find an older used Taiwanese quad for $1000 with goodies... Don't know what you mean by (OFF- Brand). That is kinda a slap in the face to most of us here being that the top four main brands are not winning the titles in the youth classes, but newbies will learn. All are pretty good and most parts will interchange unless you are looking an older LT50/LT80 or a Honda TRX90. Being that you are calling DRR, Polaris, Eton, Kasea, Apex, and Kymco (Artic Cat, Kawasaki) off brands, then you might wanna look for a good ole bullet proof TRX90 with gears. But for a 9 year old, the gears should be quickly learned. Keep an eye on the mini quad for sale area or Fleabay. Let us know where you guys are from and we might have someone close that will give you a deal.

leadsled01
02-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Yep, like king228 just said. The tiawan quads are inexpensive and alot of parts interchange.. eton, polaris,kasea apex dinli.. I just bought an old xtreme tantrum for $150 from craigslist. Of course it needs work but it does run. If money will allow, I think Honda makes the most bullet-proof quad, but they ain't cheap.

Black R/T
02-12-2009, 12:57 PM
WWKing,
i wasnt trying to "step" on your toes. its just the only way i knew how to describe those brands of bikes as im not familiar with them.

ive got a good idea where to buy one, im just looking for some insight as to which is the best "bang" for the buck and how much i should be looking to spend.

thanks again

PS, im in lafayette, LA (south louisiana) just like it says under the pic of my bike...lol, just pickin with yall

ww228king
02-12-2009, 02:48 PM
list some things that you would be looking for.... auto, gears, foot brake, drum brakes, disc brakes, lights, no lights, maybe later a racer or not, 2 stroke, 4stroke, ......

Black R/T
02-12-2009, 03:03 PM
right on. Lights, controls at the same locations as the bigger bikes (front brakes on the right side handle bar and rear brakes at the right foot), electric start, 4-stroke, and automatic.

Hanksdad
02-12-2009, 03:26 PM
If you are looking for bang for the buck, I would check out xtreme's typhoon line of quads. They use an engine design that is a knockoff of a honda. Most pit bikes run the same engine. Lots of parts readily available as well. Aftermarket nerf and bumpers are available from AC Racing. Even if she never races it, for the money you will get a stable four stroke with three or four speed auto clutch. It will have Disc brakes all the way around, controls in all the proper locations, electric start with kick backup, and a thumb throttle controller so you can ease the power on if she seems a little intimidated. Beware of cheap imitations. Lots of manufacturers sell similar quads but have inferior parts. If it is the same as the typhoon and has the same chrome a-arms with lower shock mount on bottom of lower a-arm, and the same swingarm(check how the swingarm clamps the bearing carrier in place to see if its the same as xtreme's), than there is a good chance it is the same rolling chassis with a different brand engine in it. If this is the case and the price is right I say go for it. If the engine craps out you can get a new one from one of the many links available on this sight for relatively little money(300-400) for a complete 125+ engine. If she decides she wants to go racing in the future, it makes a decent racer and several people including myself really like the thumpers. Good luck, I hope she enjoys herself and remember to let her go her own pace, the worst thing you can do is spook her if it is her first time. :macho

ww228king
02-12-2009, 03:31 PM
hummmmm.... that is an hard list to put together... most quads come stock with back and front hand brakes... Kasea made some with rear foot brakes, but they are 2 strokes and no lights....

4 strokes: Newer Polaris 50/90, Kymco 90s and newer 50s/70s, Kawasaki 50/90 which are Kymco, TRX90 (gears),
-none have foot brakes, but can get kits for them
Polaris Sportsman have lights stock, KYMCO has a light kit, and the other have no lights, but can rig something up

2 strokes: DRR 50/70/90, ETON 50/70/90, Kasea 50/70/90, older Polaris 50/90, older KYMCO 50, LT50/80,
-Kasea made some with footbrakes, the others don't, but have kits for them
-DRR has lights, Polaris Sportsman/Scambler, older KYMCO 50/90

others will post more info.... i would post more, but they have turned the light out on me here at work..lol

2crazy2care
02-12-2009, 03:37 PM
you should be able to find an LT80 for around a $1000. They may be a little outdated suspension wise, but with a little maintenance, they are bullet proof.

Black R/T
02-12-2009, 04:05 PM
thanks everyone, and dont worry about me pushing her Hank, im that over-protective dad, lol. thats the only reason she's just getting a quad, she's turning 9 next month and i told her for her 9th bday she could get one. plus ill have more time to ride mine:D

etondaddy
02-13-2009, 05:51 AM
Here's one it's a 50cc but a good start.....you can always but a 90cc motor in it when you think she's ready.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=382776

Mike Kozura

Black R/T
02-13-2009, 08:35 AM
well, she's tall for her age... a 90 sized bike is the smallest she will fit

etondaddy
02-13-2009, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Black R/T
well, she's tall for her age... a 90 sized bike is the smallest she will fit
The quads (50-90) are the same size just differant motors.

Mike Kozura