PDA

View Full Version : Race Gas

Drewltr450
02-11-2009, 07:13 PM
I am running a 13:1 piston and everything i am reading says i should run race gas with it. What octane should i run? Should i mix with some pump gas. I just need the lowdown on everything there is to know about race gas.

ccdhowell
02-12-2009, 05:25 AM
That's a lot of compression. Yeah you need race gas, somewhere around 110 octane. The higher the octane the slower the flame front and the higher the resistance to ingnition without a good spark. Which means it won't detonate easily.

hondaguy20
02-12-2009, 07:53 AM
I would start by running a half and half. 110 and 93 pump then adjust according to your detonation. If your not getting detonation, begin to make your mixture with a heavier pump gas mix. If you are still getting detonation, mix in more race gas. that way it will be cheaper to run your bike, and running more race gas than needed has no benefits. Just run your mixture before detonation. Somone correct me if i'm wrong, or varried, but that is what i have always ran.

rooster300ex
02-12-2009, 09:55 AM
An ltr stock is alil more then 11:1. A 450r is 12:1 stock and it runs pump. Mix some 100 or 110 with 91 or 93 and you'll be just fine if you think your pre-detin.

400exrider707
02-12-2009, 04:09 PM
You dont need 110. You ideally want the lowest octane that doesn't detonate and pre-ignite. We cant tell you what that is, so the safe bet is to just get something you know wont. I'm sure you'd get by on 98 or 100.

What cams are you running, this also plays a factor.

I'm not a fan of mixing fuels. Fuels from big companies like VP are blended a specific way to perform a specific way.

racernorris
02-12-2009, 07:07 PM
altitude also makes a difference, the higher the altitude the lower the octane needed! finding race fuel is tough in places, but if you don't run at least 98 octane, you could damage your motor!

norris
quinn motorsports

288sunny
02-12-2009, 07:15 PM
I as well am running a 13.5:1 piston which takes race fuel, however after talking to alot of people, I decided against race fuel.
Its costly,hard to get, evaporates quickly, etc...

Instead look into Klotz octane booster, I have ran this for atleast a month now with good result, its cheap, works, doesnt evaporate near as quickly and it works, atleast this far. I have also talked with several people at my track who use it, talked for several hours with Klotz techs and it was a win win..

a gallon cost $54.00 to your door step and your only using 1-2 onces oppose to gallons.. mix a 1-2 ounces to a gallon of 93 and pour, vary easy.. worth a shot, need more info pm me.