PDA

View Full Version : How to Bleed your brakes in less than 10min! Cures that spongy rear brake!

zdowell
02-11-2009, 04:48 PM
I think this could benefit a lot of people. If your rear brake is just not working like it use to or maybe you press down all the way and you still don't stop. then maybe your brakes need bleeding.

You should first check to see if your pads are bad. If all looks good, then here is what you do!

List of tools you will need.

-brake fluid dot 4. 3 will work also, but don't use dot5 unless your quad demands that.
-10mm wrench
-clear rubber tubing. Get this from any hardware store. The clear stuff is nice so you can see when there are no more bubbles.
-water bottle

-Now, once you have everything you can start. First off for the 450r its easier I found to take off the rear plastics.
-Take off your cap to the brake reservoir, and fill it to the top with brake fluid.
-Take the clear tubing you just bought and put it over the bleeder valve. its located on the rear caliper.
-fill up your bottle about half full with brake fluid and then stick the other end of the tubing into the bottle.
-now open the bleeder valve and start pumping the rear brake.

You will now have to do this for about 5 minutes or until you have no more bubbles coming out. The pedal should start getting firmer as you get the bubbles out. MAKE SURE you keep checking the brake reservoir. It will go through fluid quickly.

Once you have got all the bubbles out close the bleeder valve and take the tubing off. Put your cap back on and your done. Your rear brake should now lock up very easily!!! You can even do this to your front brakes!

Hope this helps some of you out, I just don't think there is very much good info about doing your rear brake. And this way is fool proof! I will post pictures when I can. Thanks!

zdowell
02-11-2009, 09:22 PM
any comments about it? Its my first how to, and I think bleeding brakes is sometimes hard for people. I learned this method like 5 years ago in high school its like vacuum bleeding but you dont have to buy a 25-50 tool to do it.

gcart2
02-12-2009, 04:17 AM
i have never done it like this. i always did the pump three times and let it leak out repeat. i will give it a try next time without a doubt.

great write up

stumpleg
02-12-2009, 08:27 AM
I do this to mine. I have the rear brake lever on the handlebars, which requires a longer hose. The brake lever will not tighten though unless the bleeder valve is closed. With it open, you are just pushing fluid. But, this is one of the easiest ways for the rear brake.

fulltiltrider
02-28-2009, 04:19 PM
Another thing to add to this....If you take the caliper off and depress it with a c-clamp then bleed(leave the clamp on)you get all the air out much faster since you are not trying to bleed the caliper too. Some times air will get stuck in the caliper and you can bleed till the cows come home, and it will still be spongy

jeremy bertoldi
02-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Nice writeup!:)