PDA

View Full Version : First year xc quad

badtothebone250
02-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Hey guys my buddy just bought his first sport quad and hes wanting to race the first year racer class in the indiana xc series. I race bikes in the series so im trying to help him out as much as I can. He just bought an 04 and heres the list of mods already done-
-HMF slipon
-K+N filter
-UM nerfs with heelguards
-Motion Pro twist throttle
-20 in Holeshot gncc's on the back (70 percent tread)
What else do you guys think he should do to make the quad beginner racer ready? He's kind of on a tight budget being a college student so nothing to extreme. (Around a couple hundred bucks) Thanks

Flynbryan19
02-11-2009, 01:05 PM
If hes got good front tread and a teether cord(if the series requires it) tell him go for it. You don't "need" anything else. Somethings are nice, but not neccesary.

rob_990
02-11-2009, 01:39 PM
you could get a steering stabilizer if your tires are good.

ThreeDollaBills
02-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Being an 04. He could possibly need a new chain and new sprockets. The have kits on motosport for around $140ish shipped.

ThreeDollaBills
02-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Oh, and also a kill switch. If there isn't on installed i'm pretty sure he will need it to race. I think all races require it.

badtothebone250
02-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Being an xc race im not positive but i dont think he needs a tether kill switch but i will double check with the rules. Do you guys think a set of handguards and skid plates would be a good investment or will these things hold up without them?

smelly$cat
02-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Maybe switch back to a thumb throttle?

I would think skids and hand guards would be good investments.

Probably worth getting some good riding gear as well.

Flynbryan19
02-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by badtothebone250
Thanks for the input guys. Being an xc race im not positive but i dont think he needs a tether kill switch but i will double check with the rules. Do you guys think a set of handguards and skid plates would be a good investment or will these things hold up without them?

Skid plates are a GREAT addition and a neccesity if your going to ride aggressively in rocky terrain. Handguards are nice, but not neccesary on a quad. You'll tag a tree with your wheels long before you will with your handlebars.

400exrider720
02-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
Skid plates are a GREAT addition and a neccesity if your going to ride aggressively in rocky terrain. Handguards are nice, but not neccesary on a quad. You'll tag a tree with your wheels long before you will with your handlebars.

Handguards aren't necessarily about hitting trees. They are about keeping roost and flying debris from other quads off your hands. I like mine and they work well. It's a small investment for keeping your hands and gloves clean so you can maintain grip and use the throttle. I got mine for about $40.

redteamgo2000
02-12-2009, 03:18 PM
pretty much all race series require a teather kill switch for saftey. that way you dont have run away quads if you were to come off it. might as well go ahead and plan on getting one of those. i know if he races the ironman race it is required because its a co-sponsored event with the gncc and they are mandatory there. as said before handguards are nice and well worth the money. thats about all i can think of unless he wants to gear 1 down on the front for alittle more low end power. get the thumper going for the hill climbs.

ok i went and read the rules for ixcr and they dont have to have a kill switch although i would get one just for my own safety. 40 bux for a kill switch is cheap insurance in my book.