PDA

View Full Version : 450 engine + trails = ?

MtnEX
02-11-2009, 12:57 PM
This KTM engine has a long stroke.... so does it have way better low end power/grunt/torque than the other 450's?

I ride trails and need the engine to be able to muscle through the slow technical sections instead of stalling out or burning the clutch.

It would be replacing a 400EX for lowend comparison.

miles Machine
02-11-2009, 01:17 PM
it will have a smoother power, the longer stroke and a smaller bore generally means that it revs at a slower rate.

MtnEX
02-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by miles Machine
it will have a smoother power, the longer stroke and a smaller bore generally means that it revs at a slower rate.

That's what I was figuring... 72mm...
The stroke is a little longer than the 400EX... which is different for a 450.
The rest like the KFX450R have short strokes around 60mm.

neals03400
02-12-2009, 02:56 PM
I switched from a built 400ex. More down low grunt than you could imagine compared to a 400. I have a 525 and they have a little more low end than the 450.

MtnEX
02-13-2009, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by neals03400
I switched from a built 400ex. More down low grunt than you could imagine compared to a 400. I have a 525 and they have a little more low end than the 450.

This sounds more in the direction I would like to go.

So not much difference between the 450 & 525?

neals03400
02-13-2009, 08:19 AM
My cousin just bought a 450 yesterday and we are going ridding this weeken so ill let you know the differnce when we get back.
From what everyone else has said and the little ridding we did lest night there isnt much difference.

Quadevil
02-13-2009, 09:58 AM
525 has more low end grunt (ideal for trails :) ) and 450 revs a lil bit better

MtnEX
02-14-2009, 12:12 AM
My cousin just bought a 450 yesterday and we are going ridding this weeken so ill let you know the differnce when we get back.
From what everyone else has said and the little ridding we did lest night there isnt much difference.

Oh yeah.... now that is going to be an awesome perspective for me to read.

I'll look forward to reading what you think, so don't forget about me.

I'll also need to figure out how it stacks up against the other 450's for trails. For what this one will cost me extra, I could afford to get one of the others and install a Rekluse clutch.

neals03400
02-16-2009, 01:12 PM
well after riding both back to back this weekend, the 525 definatly has more power down low, its easier to stay in a gear to high and let the torque pull you out of a corner. The 450 has great power, just not as much grunt in the lower rpm's.

MtnEX
02-16-2009, 03:42 PM
well after riding both back to back this weekend, the 525 definatly has more power down low, its easier to stay in a gear to high and let the torque pull you out of a corner. The 450 has great power, just not as much grunt in the lower rpm's.

I figured the 450 would rev a little more and the 525 would grunt a little more.

What about 450 MXR vs 400EX?

Also, could you tell a difference in the suspension between the 450 & 525?

The 525 is sounding like the better choice, but I still want to know how the low end of the 450 compares to the 400EX, and I do not want to make the decision between the 450 & 525 on CC's alone without even considering the suspension differences if they are that much different out front.

neals03400
02-17-2009, 12:12 PM
The suspension is far better then a 400ex, I had elka's and a rebuilt rear shock on my 400 and the ktm suspension is far better, everything about the ktm is far better.

I didnt think there would be that big a difference from a tricked out 400 but it really is. The power of the 450 is far and beyond that of a 400ex, stock or built 400.

The only complaints on the ktm is, you get alot of arm pump when the suspension is stock. A little tweaking, breaking in, and steering damper while take care of it.

There isnt any difference in the 525 and 450 suspension it is the exact same quad just a different size piston bore.

I ride xc, mx and wooped out sand trails, ive pounded the suspension and it soaks everything up i through at it. It inspires confidence that I would have never had on a 400. Ive been riding one of the same mx tracks for about 4 years and never would hit the 75ft double due to inability of the suspension to handle coming up short or overjumping it, the first day out on the ktm I hit it and came up short, long and perfect, the bike took it and loved. I havnt looked back since, sold the honda the next week.

MtnEX
02-20-2009, 02:06 AM
I know the KTM is at the top of the ATV food chain period.
Overall, most are not comparible, much less the 400EX.

Yall just do not know how bad I wish I felt comfortable enough to buy a KTM. I'd get a 525XC. But this economy has me terrified to go for it.

I guess I'll only be able to settle for the KTM engine corked up in an Outlaw. The price point on leftover '08 models is much more comfortable. So I am looking at those along with the Japanese 450's.

These things are at "city" dealers and I can't test them out. But I am figuring the longer stroke KTM motors should deliver better off the bottom... I want something that doesn't stall real easy and can work in the low speed sections without wearing me out.

Will the KTM engine be better off the bottom than a Japanese 450?
What about compared to the 400EX low end?

Beyond that, I am also trying to figure out 450/525...
Polaris offers the 450 with Podium X shocks front and rear.
Polaris offers the 525 with Podium X rear & Podium fronts.

I would rather have the good shocks if there is not a lot of difference in engines... but if there is a lot of difference, it might be worth $200 more plus the cost of a shock upgrade (later) to get the 525.

Wish I could get the KTM though.

bferg911
02-20-2009, 08:15 AM
I have the 525 xc and love it. I got my wife a YFZ 450 with the cam mod , Ron Woods full exhaust and intake, Rev box and jetted perfect to match. Its fun but take one ride on the stock 525 and you will never be happy again on another bike. The money is way worth it. My 525 has a FMF slip on and jet kit. Thats all! I can piss most the kids off at the drag strip simply because I weigh about 250 and haven't done much to the bike. As for trails, I can grunt it out of any situation. This bike has an awesome torque curve and you can short shift the crap out of it. YOU CANNOT GO WRONG WITH THIS BIKE!

MtnEX
02-24-2009, 11:05 PM
I actual got the opportunity to check out the KTM XC and the KTM powered Outlaw back-to-back today.

The fit-n-finish on the Outlaws is nowhere even remotely near the KTM.

The reason for the price difference is extremely obvious.

I feel bad for the guys who paid Polaris MSRP for the KTM powered Outlaws. I'm certain that anyone who paid $7,399+ for an Outlaw SERIOUSLY made a mistake.

But now that you can find them a couple thousand off that new, they are a pretty good value at that price point.

waj30
02-25-2009, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by bferg911
I have the 525 xc and love it. I got my wife a YFZ 450 with the cam mod , Ron Woods full exhaust and intake, Rev box and jetted perfect to match. Its fun but take one ride on the stock 525 and you will never be happy again on another bike. The money is way worth it. My 525 has a FMF slip on and jet kit. Thats all! I can piss most the kids off at the drag strip simply because I weigh about 250 and haven't done much to the bike. As for trails, I can grunt it out of any situation. This bike has an awesome torque curve and you can short shift the crap out of it. YOU CANNOT GO WRONG WITH THIS BIKE!

+1 You will not be disappointed.I have them in my dirt bikes too.Awesome motors.