PDA

View Full Version : My DASA Experience, Not Good

pbell75
02-11-2009, 09:33 AM
I am posting this for a friend who had a bad experience with DASA. His name is Josh and he races in the 4-Stroke A class.

05 Honda 450r

I wanted to post this on here for all of you to view b/c I am extremely disappointed in well known engine builder DASA.

In January/February of 2008 I contracted DASA to build my race motor for the 08 season. Dan at Dasa assured me that when the motor was completed it would produce 60hp with “no problem”. Without getting into specifics to much, below is what was said to have been done to the motor by Dasa.

Complete Head Porting
Bigger valves
Shaved and dual valve springs +/- $1,200 in head alone
Bored out CRF Carb (43mm)
CRF 450 Dirt Bike Ignition
Dasa Custom Piston
Dasa Exhaust
Dasa Cam

I put the following in the motor.
New Honda Crank assembly
New Case Bearings
Hinson Clutch
An hour meter

Basically everything you can do to a motor and keep it a 450cc. Race Season “08” I run 4 Stroke A and was trying Pro-AM in the GNC’s. My season was cut short at Walnut because of wreck during practice that riped two ligaments. Throughout the first three rounds that I raced I was continuing to get pulled on at the holeshots and spending the wrest of the time making up ground. In 4-stroke A it’s not so bad, but everyone knows you have to have a good holeshot in Pro-Am. So with my season over during Walnuts practice I decided to take the head off so Dan from Dasa could see it since he was at Walnut. I told Dan that I was disappointed in the lack of power the bike had. Dan took the head back with him to California to have it checked out. A little while later the head was back. This time the port job was shaped out of epoxy, the first port job was ground all over with no epoxy.

I’m good friends with Joe from Rossier so I took it to his shop in Wisconsin to have it dynode. 49.2 hp, WTF I had all this money in my bike to produce 49.2 hp, that’s no where near 60hp “no problem”. I wanted to cry. I called Dan at Dasa and told him the numbers from the curve. He said there must be something wrong and had me ship it back to him with the carb for testing which I did.

The motor went to Dan in June of 2008. From then until Januray 27th 2009 I got screwed around with by DASA! I called Dan numerous times during that time period, each time he’d give me some line about how fast it was going to be and that they were just waiting to dyno it, or they were waiting for this or that. For 7 months. He’d never call me to let me know why I didn’t have the motor or why his promises kept being unfilled. 7 months I waited for my motor, which was paid in full on time, and nothing! I got feed up, conveniently I had a buddy visiting his aunt in California. Once he was there I called Dasa and told them that he would be there within 1hr to pick the motor up whether it was in pieces or not, I just wanted it back. They told me they’d need at least 3hrs to get it ready. I waited 7 months what’s 3 more hours. My buddy gets there and they were just then unbolting it from the dyno bike. 7 months to fix a 49.2 hp motor and I need to show up from Indiana to get it done, pathetic!!! Joe Byrd have to deal with this? Or how about all the other motors that have come and gone through Dasa’s doors while mine sat on the shelves with the other hundred or so motors collecting dust! 7 months without riding my race bike.

So anyways, Dan comes out of the back and tells my buddy to tell me to “Change my air-filter once in a while, I had to put a cylinder and piston in the bike” (FYI when I got the motor back the cylinder had mud on it) My buddy said he was very rude and jerky. Come on man. You had my motor for 7 months while feeding me every line in the book not to get it back to me, I show up to get it and you’re pissed at me and tell me to change my air filter? I babied that motor because I had so much money in it and change the air filter after every ride. The hr meter showed 13 hrs on the motor when Dan took it back with him to California. Dan owed me 100 bucks for the shipping which he agreed to pay, but not before throwing it and the dyno sheet on his counter and walking away. This guy is pissed because of what? The fact that he promised me 60hp “no problem” and delivered 49.2, or because I didn’t let him have my motor for 8 months and decided to take matters into my own hands and pick it up?

The dyno sheet from DASA reads 61.2hp. I am going back to Rossier’s shop in about 2 weeks to have it re Dyno’d. Once I have that dyno I’ll post them both for anyone who is interested to see. I hope it’s close to 60. I understand Dyno read differently. DASA uses a Mustang Dynamome and Rossier has a Dynojet Model 198, but it shouldn’t be 11hp off like it was previously.

I’m not writing this to start problems but I realize some people may become upset by me posting this. For us privateers trying to run the National Circuit it’s hard and every dollar we spend is a dollar taken away from another part of our racing program. I want fellow racers to be aware of my experience to that they can try to avoid a similar one.

Josh Strominski #11

florentino
02-11-2009, 10:32 AM
i always do my motor work my self on my yfz 450 no fancy work at all. but at every race i take the holeshot.. you have to learn ..
fine tuning is the key. my friend has so my money on his yfz .
and i can take him like nothing.
i also have a honda and i like the hrc cam je piston i ported the head my self and its fast. always stay on top of checkin valves ans cam chains they rob horses ..

Dave400ex
02-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by florentino
i always do my motor work my self on my yfz 450 no fancy work at all. but at every race i take the holeshot.. you have to learn ..
fine tuning is the key. my friend has so my money on his yfz .
and i can take him like nothing.
i also have a honda and i like the hrc cam je piston i ported the head my self and its fast. always stay on top of checkin valves ans cam chains they rob horses ..

All of that is great, but has nothing to do with what he is talking about.

Bottom line is DASA said 60hp, didn't do it, then screwed around with him after he had already paid. Some of these companies don't get it. If you order or send something to get a service done and they tell you a time frame, they better deliver. No excuses, no questions, get the parts done and get them sent back asap.

mattonln
02-11-2009, 03:37 PM
I agree with the above post. Im getting somewhat jacked around right now. I took my motor to a good builder in the area and he said 7-10 days (putting in new crank/seals/bearings etc...). I called him after 2 weeks had gone by just to check in and said he had it torn down and cleaned out but thought I might need a few misc parts (reed valve, cam chain, seal kit), so I said okay, call me when you have a list of what I need. another week goes by, nothing. So I call and he says "oh I've been super busy, your motor will be the first one out, and I will figure out what parts you need asap". understandable. its been another week and I still haven't heard anything... starting to get a little irritated, but I'm about to call him again right now. Sorry you had that experience, I can understand your frustration, and I've only been waiting for 4 or 5 weeks! hope you get your 60hp.

smw450r
02-11-2009, 05:10 PM
man that does suck i do all my own work always i was scared it would happen to me, i just installed a new crank, baldwins piston, and new cylinder fired up 2nd kick, took me less than a day to finish it bottom line there's no reason for 7 months for them guys to have your engine, i can understand about the seals to a extent but if i was building someones motor i would call them first thing and tell them and order the parts that day 3-5 days longer max

jersey devil
02-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Sorry to hear youhad such a bad experience. Please keep us posted on your dyno results?

tuefelhunden
02-12-2009, 09:28 AM
Ahmen Josh!!! Don't let them get away with this crap. I praise you for posting an honest experience. If nothing else it will let them know they maybe have to think about how they treat people.

Smoker
02-12-2009, 10:11 AM
That sucks, especially for how much money they rape you for their "expert" services. The best bet is to build your own motors so you know what's going on with it. Send your crank and head out for work but do all the wrenching by yourself, you'll never be dissappointed by what you learn. You run into snags or have questions, call one of these so called repuitable builders and see what their attitude about answering questions? Not all of them are arogant bozo's but a lot get too big for their britches and crap on the guys who pay their mortgage, the average racer.

miles Machine
02-12-2009, 10:20 AM
"I agree with the above post. Im getting somewhat jacked around right now. I took my motor to a good builder in the area and he said 7-10 days (putting in new crank/seals/bearings etc...). I called him after 2 weeks had gone by just to check in and said he had it torn down and cleaned out but thought I might need a few misc parts (reed valve, cam chain, seal kit), so I said okay, call me when you have a list of what I need. another week goes by, nothing. So I call and he says "oh I've been super busy, your motor will be the first one out, and I will figure out what parts you need asap". understandable. its been another week and I still haven't heard anything... starting to get a little irritated, but I'm about to call him again right now. Sorry you had that experience, I can understand your frustration, and I've only been waiting for 4 or 5 weeks! hope you get your 60hp."

Id get your engine back if he said a 4-stroke needed a reed valve

WilRideAnything
02-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by miles Machine

Id get your engine back if he said a 4-stroke needed a reed valve

There is a reed valve in the oil sump.

ghott
02-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by WilRideAnything
There is a reed valve in the oil sump.
You sure that isn't a "relief valve" ?

Ex_Rider43
02-12-2009, 10:57 AM
I had my motor done at Dasa last year and had absolutly no problem with them. great people there and i got exactly what i asked.

mattonln
02-12-2009, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by ghott
You sure that isn't a "relief valve" ?

no, there is definetely a one-way reed valve in the bottom of you case that separates the internals from your oil "tank" I guess to prevent any back flow. It's in the service manual.

Chino886
02-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by mattonln
no, there is definetely a one-way reed valve in the bottom of you case that separates the internals from your oil "tank" I guess to prevent any back flow. It's in the service manual.

Yup!

miles Machine
02-12-2009, 04:10 PM
never herd of it, got any pictures or info from the sm

copedaddy
02-12-2009, 05:22 PM
I have a friend that spent thousands with DASA on several motors and still got jerked around and recieved less that satisfactory work(motors sent back several times to be reworked). I would send your motors to Mark Baldwin. it wont be quick or cheap, but you know that your going to get a quality product in return.

pbell75
02-27-2009, 02:49 PM
For anyone that is interested, we got the above Dasa motor Dynoed by Rossier a couple days ago. On Tuesday of next week I am going to post that dyno and the Dyno Dasa gave when they returned the motor. I think you will all find it very interesting seeing these two dynos on the same motor. the motor was never started or touched (other than putting it in the bike) between the two dynos.

Balaz_73*00
02-27-2009, 07:10 PM
This story makes me sad...lol i hate hearing about crap like this. Throw those dyno results up, i i wana see what your talking about. And your from schererville?? I am too. We should meet up and ride some time.

Doober
03-02-2009, 02:10 PM
yea, post them dyno sheets up. I hate to hear this kind of stuff especially when your spending thousands at there company.

GOTFEAR
03-02-2009, 02:35 PM
i have had this same problem with every motor builder or companies. LRD. ESR. FTZ. i had to file a complaint with the better business bureau and thin you will get it back with in a week or so. If your not a top rider your not going to get the same service . The most used excuse from all builders is the machinist is out , or on vacation or lunch or at a race or sick or just cant find him i will give you a call as soon as its don (never)

pbell75
03-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Here are the dyno sheets. there is a 10hp difference between the two with DASA being 62 and Rossier 52.

As you can imagine the current owner of this motor is not happy so the motor complete or just the head are for sale if anyone interested.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/Pbell75/post-44-1236022198.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/Pbell75/post-44-1236003327.jpg

jersey devil
03-03-2009, 03:00 PM
I would forward these dyno sheets to DASA'a website and see what they have to say?At least for self satisfaction if it were my motor!

ALAMX37
03-04-2009, 10:48 AM
All that money for a 52 horsepower motor. Damn man that is a shame. I got my motor worked by baldwin for a little over $1300 and it was pushing 56 hp on their dyno. It may vary from dyno to dyno but losing 10 hp is a little on the ridiculous side.

Dave400ex
03-04-2009, 12:34 PM
I agree every dyno is different, but as said above not 10hp!

Tell your buddy to go to Moto-Xperts, he is in Indiana.

pbell75
03-04-2009, 02:09 PM
where at in Indiana?

Balaz_73*00
03-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Lafayette

jersey devil
03-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Seems like doing business anymore with these engine builders is like dealing with our political administrations.Who do you trust and who do you believe????
As I said in my last post I would fax a copy of the dyno sheet to DASA and demand an explanation!If they are reputable,care any about there work reputation and public opinion they will respond and depending on there response that will judge what they are about in my opinion!
The hell with talking about it!DEMAND a response!

motofreak2772
03-04-2009, 06:22 PM
you should get test it on a third dyno just to be sure first.
who is going to make your next engine? just curious.

Sjorge450R
03-04-2009, 06:28 PM
i know you are are in a bad situation and all and this is just one other reason i would never send my motor to DASA, but if you are so close to Rossier, why not let Joe do it? For me, it would either be him or Colby at C&D doing it

pbell75
03-05-2009, 07:49 AM
Josh has Rossier doing his 07 head as we speak. He is parting out his 05 race bike and switching to the 07.

suzukiracer3
03-11-2009, 07:42 PM
hell be very happy with ROSSIER. Sorry to hear this story man. Its a shame.

nwi45
03-18-2009, 07:13 PM
the problem with the holeshots isnt the motor. he just needs a suzuki

FHKracingZ
03-18-2009, 09:14 PM
I am good friends with josh at the races and knows he works damn hard at his construction job for what he has.. He is a hell of a nice guy, and wish him the best of lucky with this motor situation.. Not the first time I have seen this..

My buddy spent $1,800 for a proam head and piston from dasa and it put out 50.2 hp on the local dyno.

spanky101
03-19-2009, 09:30 AM
If i remember correctly the dasa dyno always runs a bit high. Since you have Rossier doing your motors and him being local im sure youll have better results. Your motor work is a hard thing to do with people so far away, I am personally blessed to have one of the best motor builders within an hour of me at Baldwin Racing. I have had nothing but GREAT experiences with Mark at Baldwin racing, I called once at 11pm just to leave a message for Mark to give me a call back the next day for something pretty petty, and no big issue at all but I had Mark answering the phone, he was working on some bikes and suspension with Jody from JB Racing when they were running the kfx450 for their program. Everytime ive called Baldwin with questions or just needing some opinions they were always quick to answer and give as much help as they could possibly give. Thumbs up to Baldwin for the great service, its getting harder and harder to find someone who is for the customer!

jersey devil
03-19-2009, 10:07 AM
It seems when a business is starting out they always have time for the customer.Once they are established they forget where they came from and the dollar takes over there conscience and not the customer.
As for dynos who really knows if it is a true reading or do they adjust the dyno so it reads somewhat higher for bragging rights and the public?Common practice across the country in all motorsports.
However many builders that are out there and don't get me wrong not all are bad but it is basically a crap shoot now a days.Greed sets in and customer relations are second on there list if best at that!
We are just at there mercy and hope we find a reputable man with a conscience who cares about customer satisfaction.
For every builder good or bad there are believers and there cheerleaders so who and what do you believe?
Lets face it you can have two quads.One 50 hp and another 60 hp.90% of the time the better rider is out front and it could be the 50 hp?So they are able to throw numbers around to the public and here we go again with the crap shoot?
Who really knows?

2muchquad
02-14-2010, 01:45 PM
i agree unless you are a top pro,why spend thousands on a "pro motor" set up when you can even run out front locally?I personally would spend money on suspension first.Stop trying to be in the dasa fan club or any other of these engine builders out there and keep your money.Get a manual and do your own maintenance etc.Theres no reason why a piston and cam along with the basics wont get the job done on a healthy 450.Why does everybody think 60hp is gonna be a automatic ticket to the podium?:ermm:

TYLER329
02-14-2010, 04:09 PM
I know engine builders are notorious about taking forever and promising things they can't deliver but this case has to be the difference between two dyno's. I agree with whoever said to have the engine dynoed at a third party. What kind of tire, axle weight and wheel weight makes a difference on the dyno reading if I remember correctly. Does anybody have anything from Yoshi? It would be interesting to see the quality work from a huge company like them.

lowbudget36
02-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Dan at DASA did a motor for me in the fall of 2008. It's a production based motor so i can race Pro Am at the nationals. It has been on the dyno many times and pushes right around 70 - 72 hp each time. It has never failed once I have never adjust the valves since. The motor is immortal. BUT......I also have another DASA motor(immortal as well) that doesnt even reach over 50 hp on the dyno and WALKS THE **** out of the 70 hp motor. HP numbers don't mean a damn thing in Motocross. It's the TORQUE numbers you want high. That's why now Dan asks you not to dyno his motors, because they may show low hp numbers than what your expecting. These amatuer racers want that hp number to be high when it doesn't have to be. I can understand the rude customer service part for this guy. but when it comes to the motor, don't ever go by how high or low your hp is.

2muchquad
02-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Exactly hp doesnt mean much if you casnt hang on.Theres not too many guys locally the i know that can hang on to a 65hp machine for 5 laps on a long rough outdoor mx track,im 37yrs old and have been riding for almost 26yrs and i cant:(

QuadParkour23
02-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by lowbudget36
HP numbers don't mean a damn thing in Motocross.

Almost there;) Motocross is sometimes confused with supercross. Motocross is more wide open than supercross, so you need good torque with a balance of hp to wind it out a little. Otherwise you will top-out too quick and not have enough juice for the straights.

murman181
02-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by pbell75
Here are the dyno sheets. there is a 10hp difference between the two with DASA being 62 and Rossier 52.

As you can imagine the current owner of this motor is not happy so the motor complete or just the head are for sale if anyone interested.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/Pbell75/post-44-1236022198.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/Pbell75/post-44-1236003327.jpg

are you sure dasa isn't getting 62hp at the crank and roosier is getting 52hp at the rear wheels? you take the rear will hp and times it by 15% and if u take 52 times 15% its close to 62hp that could be the difference! not real sure but i might help

chad502ex
02-16-2010, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by murman181
are you sure dasa isn't getting 62hp at the crank and roosier is getting 52hp at the rear wheels? you take the rear will hp and times it by 15% and if u take 52 times 15% its close to 62hp that could be the difference! not real sure but i might help

DASAs dyno is not an engine dyno... but it does the ability to enter any correction factor you want manually into the software.... :devil:

Good Gawd this thread is old....