PDA

View Full Version : chain problem

400thacker
02-11-2009, 06:30 AM
I just bought this EX this morning to go with the one i already have. it runs good but i am going to re ring it with 11:1 piston and the problem is the chain rubbing the swingarm skid. Is this a common problem? I know the chain needs to be tightened a little bit but I don't think it will compensate for the chain rub.
let me know what you guys think.
thanks

dariusld
02-11-2009, 06:33 AM
Is it rubbing on the guide or metal. Many times the guides get old and fall off. That sound is loud and annoying.

400thacker
02-11-2009, 06:44 AM
not the guide, on the actual skid plate...hang on and i will take a pic

400thacker
02-11-2009, 06:50 AM
here

400thacker
02-11-2009, 06:52 AM

02-11-2009, 07:16 AM
is it rubbing on the side or the bottom...i can't quite tell in the pics...

if it is the bottom, make sure your chain is in proper adjustment...there should be a nylon rub pad on the skid to prevent premature wear...

400thacker
02-11-2009, 07:24 AM
called my dealer and said the same thing about the nylon. anyone know wher I can get one to rivet on or something?
what DYI things are there to fix this problem?

bubbrubb25
02-12-2009, 07:20 AM
I have the same problem with my loose chain but im not sure how you tighten it any help?

sc400ex_rider
02-12-2009, 09:00 AM
i think dennis kirk sells just that piece. i know they sell the one that goes by the engine and swingarm. just cut it down to what you need drill some holes in the skid and screw into the nylon. dun. those aluminum skids are prone to bending up into the chain and rotor makling a hella racket. and the ones that dont have the pad are worse cause people over tighten the chain to get it off of there and wipe out the rear carrier bearings.

bubb i would search it.

02-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by bubbrubb25
I have the same problem with my loose chain but im not sure how you tighten it any help?

Alright my man, go behind the bike and on the back off the swinger you will see (4) bolts. I believe you need a 6mm hex key for these. Loosen all 4 pretty good. Then next to the sprocket you will see a round collar type thing with a few circle holes in it. Put a punch or big philips screwdriver in the hole and hit it with a hammer if you can't get it to spin on your own. Remember spinning it towards the rear tightens the chain. Spinning it forward loosens. Make sure you tighten the bolts back up after your done.

rob_990
02-12-2009, 01:30 PM
when i first got my quad it did the same thing but i found out my skid plate hit something and was bent up a little bit so i put it in a vice and bent it down.maybe yours is just warped a little bit but id check on the chain tightness as well.