PDA

View Full Version : mods for 525 outlaw

mity4
02-11-2009, 01:58 AM
I have an 07 outlaw 525 irswhich I've owned for 9 month so far no problems except for keeping the frontend down in 1st. Well here lately a few of my car racing buddies have gotten some quads and so the competion begins. I want to do a complete exhaust, air filter, and jetting but I don't know which to go with. I sure some people one here have tried a few, so Just wanting some input. Is it Ct racing, Fmf, hmf or some other exhaust system like Ac. Also jets Dyno jets or something else and also air filter. Thanks all input will be appreciated.

outlawjeff
02-11-2009, 05:07 AM
i would go with the ct full system with the jd jet kit. And for the air filter i would go with a k&n or a rath racing or velocity air filter system. If you look there is another thread in hear of many of the answers you are looking for. hope this helps

eerhard09
02-11-2009, 09:02 AM
I am not so sure you will see much of a gain by going with a full system. The dynos I have seen show no real difference in HP numbers between slip on and full with the KTM motor. I know for a fact that HMF said they would not be building a full system because they could not get any more HP out of it. If you feel the need to go full later, the FMF powerbomb and Megabomb can be added to a slip-on.

You will probably see close to 45 hp on a full or slip-on quad with a K&N intake and JD Jet kit.

mity4
02-11-2009, 09:40 AM
That's what I'm have a hard time with on the exhaust because some that I talked to say you only get around 5hp with just the slip on and doubles with the header, other say only 1or 2hp gains with the header. Also was thinking of changing the front sprocket 1 tooth since the front comes up so hard in 1st if I add power it will make it harder to keep the front down. with the sprocket change that should help and make it extremely fast up top, any one try this?

eerhard09
02-11-2009, 12:40 PM
increasing the fron sprocket from a 15 from the stock 14 is a pretty common mod. Some like it, some don't.... I use a 15 for dune riding but I like the low end torque of the 14t stocker for the tight trails. It is all about preference. If you go to rockymountainatv.com, you can pick up a front sprocket for $7 so if you don't like it, you are not really wasting a bunch of money!

sheriff525
02-11-2009, 12:50 PM
I saw a slip yoshi on ebay for $250.00 new.
If you interested I will try and find the link. It fit the IRS. You probably have the straight. if that is the case yooshi pipes are good to.

eerhard09
02-11-2009, 01:14 PM
I think I paid roughly $250 on E-Bay for my black powdered HMF with the Vector endcap and the quiet core, both $25 addons....

mity4
02-11-2009, 07:56 PM
I really appreciate the input I know some of my ?'s may have already been answered in this forum some were but I don't have alot of time to search for it. What about raising the rev limiter is that a good thing to do?

eerhard09
02-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Raising the rev limiter is not all that necessary since the quad makes its power and torque down low. If you decide to cam it later with a big bore then maybe. Do not cheap out on the rev limiter at that point, get a quality one (Dyna or Vortec), not one of those $100 pieces of sh.....

TINKRD
02-12-2009, 05:12 PM
from my experience. the KTM is not a top end motor at all.

i have 15T, duncan exhaust, JD kit, K&N filter...

my buddies honda 700xx had a 13T, slip on, filter, powercommander..

when we raced it'd be mostly even up till 5th where he would easily start pulling away... and this was with him on a 13T. :eek:

i can defenietly feel the bike stop pulling as hard as you get into the upper RPM's in 5th gear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVkes_GqtuI&feature=channel_page

mity4
02-12-2009, 09:25 PM
This last weekend I raced a yamaha yzf 450 with Duncan exhaust and jetted and filter and could stay beside him the whole way. He was so mad he pulled off th exhaust and put the stock one back on and rejetted it and wants to go again. He bought the bike with the mods on it already and is leary about the duncan Exhaust. We will see.

TINKRD
02-13-2009, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by mity4
This last weekend I raced a yamaha yzf 450 with Duncan exhaust and jetted and filter and could stay beside him the whole way. He was so mad he pulled off th exhaust and put the stock one back on and rejetted it and wants to go again. He bought the bike with the mods on it already and is leary about the duncan Exhaust. We will see.

would this happen to be a white yzf 450? cracked plastics, widened axles, widened front a-arm??

did you call a guy off craigslist asking him about mods to his outlaw?

mity4
02-13-2009, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by TINKRD
would this happen to be a white yzf 450? cracked plastics, widened axles, widened front a-arm??

did you call a guy off craigslist asking him about mods to his outlaw?

No this was a Orange and black special edition, and yes I did. Would the one on tcraigslist happen to be you?

TINKRD
02-13-2009, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by mity4
No this was a Orange and black special edition, and yes I did. Would the one on tcraigslist happen to be you?

okay just making sure it wasn't my buddies he just sold. lol

and yes, i'm the one you called on Craigslist. small world. :)

bpjr07
02-13-2009, 08:02 PM
Wat does everyone mean about the K&N Intake? or do you guys just mean a filter to slip on there. will the rath racing intake still be good for wet conditions?

i am also interested in doing this stuff.

so i guest the best thing to do is buy a intake, slip-on muffler, and jet kit and do it all at once.

so what is the stock hp? and what r the gains for something like doing all 3?

not trying to hijack his thread just some questions on the same subject.

mopars69
02-14-2009, 05:02 PM
boring stroking,turbo,piston

sheriff525
02-15-2009, 12:43 AM
Stock approx hp is 38

filter approx + 3 hp

Slip on + 5-8 hp (realistically)

Jet kit + 2 hp probably

This is an estimate....Let me know if i am wrong!

Chris525
02-15-2009, 06:54 AM
A K & N intake is just a slip on filter ( the best air filter ) The part number is pl-5207. You can buy it from a number of different places but I got mine a Advance Auto for around $50

And as far as wet conditions this filter allows you to keep your air box and cover in place

bpjr07
02-15-2009, 07:46 PM
cool thanks chris525 for informing me on that once i need to clean my filter im just going to buy the k&N one.

SSJEFF
02-15-2009, 11:45 PM
eerhard09 forgot to mention that he ceramic coated his header. It is sweet too. I will be doing this if I get a slipon for my IRS. I have ridden his Outlaw and it is powerful. I have the full Alba. I think the header lowered my low end power.

eerhard09
02-16-2009, 03:44 PM
Ceramic coated stock header with elliptical HMF slip-on (Best pic I had....)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/mre2u84/DSC00053.jpg

bs1320
02-16-2009, 08:53 PM
i just purchased a hmf ballance slip for my 08 525s and man it made a big differance , i rejetted it and took it out today i could not be happier , i am looking forward to adding a filter kit now. i can only imagine the differance that will make

SSJEFF
02-16-2009, 10:33 PM
I am getting ready to try the twin air on my 450mxr. I had the rath but I run XC and need more water protection.

shadowrider530
02-19-2009, 08:54 PM
every time I look on ebay at the HMF slip ons theres a few different options, maybe someone on here could clarify for me which one is "the one" to get for my IRS, I also saw the yoshimura rs5 on there too which looks like a real nice piece.

eerhard09
02-20-2009, 07:40 AM
Either the standard HMF Sport or the Ballance will produce the same output. Stick to one of the two and you will be fine. If you can still find an elliptical Sport series, that will work for you as well, that is what I am using. I like the elliptical just because it looks different!

shadowrider530
02-21-2009, 08:11 PM
I have seen the HMF sport for the IRS but not the ballance Are they interchangeable between the IRS and SRA?? Im also looking at a yoshimura on ebay