PDA

View Full Version : cannondale fx400

2muchquad
02-10-2009, 11:31 PM
thinking about getting a fx400,i know the ealry cannondales had problems(like the later ones too) but i know im gonna need the updated crank and possibly the stage 8 kit but is there anything else i should be aware of or should i run like hell.This will be a project for me as im just wanting to be different.I dont want a 450 so ...

Dachshund
02-11-2009, 08:49 AM
The only thing I can think of other than the normal stuff is they had a small crank bearing on one end. You should have the case machined for the larger new style bearing.

2muchquad
03-02-2009, 12:08 PM
yes it does have the smaller brass caged bearing on the stator side.i didnt feel like waiting to have it machined so i am replacing it with stock.Hopefully i'll get 100hrs or so out of it since i have several bikes i ride.I may shoot for the upgrade or maybe another set of newer cases later on.

Dachshund
03-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Not a wise shortcut in IMHO. Did you z400 the rod bearing and check the bucket bores? Good luck.

2muchquad
03-02-2009, 03:36 PM
i think a lot of people tend to look for things to worry about,as far as the dales go,the z400 is a must do.the guy i got parts from(canniboomer)says while the fx does have a smaller bearing,it can last depending on the riding,with me having several atvs and not wanting to wait 9mos for it to be machined,i went stock.my heas and cams is fine.no need to make more problems..