PDA

View Full Version : reliable but fast 450r, woods motor

jeff malone
02-10-2009, 07:45 PM
i race in the GNCC and ky harescrambles, i get tired of getting out ran, out started on the starting line, getting smoked on the drag race to the first turn, and out powerd, I'm looking to invest in motor mods, i have a 04 450r, motor is stock, i want to know what you guys have done to find power in these quads. I'm looking in to getting the head ported and some kinda 5 angle valve job. would even like to bump up displacment. mostly i need this thing to be a durable as it is stock, let me know what you have done to make a better woods quad , thanks jeff

2sweetr
02-10-2009, 08:02 PM
I HEARD THAT SCOTT SMITH HAS PRO FAB ATV BACK UP AND RUNNING.(SCOTTS STUFF USED TO BE HARD TO BEAT AND VERY RELIABLE) YOU COULD TRY GIVING THEM A CALL. THEY ARE LOCATED IN LANCASTER OHIO

mc_racer
02-10-2009, 08:19 PM
I'm running a Dasa ported head, 02 crf cam, FCR carb, and 11.5 to 1 piston on a stock bore. I've been really happy with it and it's been super reliable. It's more then enough power for my class and my ability, but I guess it depends on what class you run on if it would work for you. Right now I feel that any more power would equal more work.

jeff malone
02-10-2009, 08:27 PM
i'm in the a class, but how much stronger would you say it is than a stock motor with a exaust, like drag racing or hill climbing for say. was is a xc kinda port job or does dasa change thieir porting style for different needs. how much would you say your setup would cost ,

Ty's400
02-10-2009, 08:34 PM
I raced GNCC (xc) for the first time last year from switching from mx. I was curious also what a good motor setup for the woods would be and to keep it reliable. I went with Moto-Xperts for head porting to accompany my hrc cam. This was a great setup and I didn't have any issues whatsoever. The power was phenomenial. Since MXP builds such reliable and powerful motors, this year I had Toby do some more head/valve work and I'll be running a high-comp piston. Some of my buddies have had good luck with this and full blown MXP motors for the woods without any issue.

mc_racer
02-10-2009, 08:38 PM
I can walk away from a stock bike with exhaust. A friend of mine has a stock 05 with 13 tooth front sprocket and exhaust. I can outrun him and I have stock gearing and the added weight of tireballs and a rekluse. With the current setup, I'm about 3 bikes ahead by the time we hit 5th gear.
Here's the cost, best I can remember...
dasa porting-580?
also replaced valves and springs-225
02crf cam-free
fcr carb-200
carb bored to 42.5-125
As far as the type of porting, I just told them what else I had and what kind of racing I did.

jeff malone
02-10-2009, 09:04 PM
how have your guys motors held up , hows the bottom end holding up , do they start good for the dead engine starts. i've never had a good start seems in the process of starting and givning gas to take off it dies 9 outs 10 times ,

mc_racer
02-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Mine's holding up fine.
As far as starts, it's me that causes my starting problems. When I stay calm, I do fine. If not, I hit the gas before it actually starts which causes it not to start.
I got a third place start last weekend and passed to second right before I caught a tree turning into the woods.
I'd be willing to bet your starting problems could be cured with some carb tuning.

fultz416ex
02-10-2009, 10:51 PM
go with toby at MXP. those engines have stupid power!!

jeff malone
02-11-2009, 08:46 AM
i'm positive that alot of my starting problems, is that i hit the throtle to soon but those pros seem to take off as soon as their kickstarter hits the bottom of the stroke

JCoop
02-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Before dumping a lot of money into the motor have you thought about installing a rekluse?

I know there are a lot of "holeshot kings" at the mid souths and they all seem to run rekluse clutches. I run one too, and I love it.

Motor isn't everything in XC.

fastredrider44
02-11-2009, 11:30 AM
However in field sections, its discouraging to have someone with a lot of motor run you down. I have a Curtis sparks pipe, uni filter, no lid, jetted, hotrods factory replacement crank, wiseco 11.5:1 piston, kibblewhite valves, and an HRC cam. Its not a hot rod, but its enough to keep my doors from being blown away.
As far as starts go, If mine cranks, I'm up near front on holeshot. But it seldom does cause I get trigger happy and hit the gas too soon.

hicksd
02-13-2009, 08:18 AM
Jcoop is 100% correct. Recluse will help you starts. Also, practice your starts with someone dropping a flag/board to simulate actual race conditions. XC racing is very little about motor, suspension/handling should be top priority regarding the quad. The rider needs to be in great shape. Those two items are way more important than motor work. Plus a high output motor can add to wearing you out during a race. Also, what percentage of the race is in the woods compared to fields. These are just some things to think about.

coryatver
02-13-2009, 11:56 AM
i have an 06 with hrc cam and I have no problems keeping up or pulling on the straights. There is a lot more skill in the field sections then you would think. Watching brandon sommers through the field sections at a race judging by the sound of his exhuast he never let off the throttle one time he just held it wide open around the corners and used the front brakes to control the speed

Scro
02-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by JCoop

I know there are a lot of "holeshot kings" at the mid souths and they all seem to run rekluse clutches. I run one too, and I love it.

Motor isn't everything in XC.

Not I:devil: :blah: A good hi-comp piston, cam, and pipe is all the average rider would ever need. If that's still not what you are looking for, send the head off to a reputable builder. There is alot of power locked up in these heads.

JCoop
02-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Scro
Not I:devil: :blah: A good hi-comp piston, cam, and pipe is all the average rider would ever need. If that's still not what you are looking for, send the head off to a reputable builder. There is alot of power locked up in these heads.

You have to pull more then 2 holeshots to be proclamied a "holeshot king"!!! lol.

But you are right, the rekluse is not a sure fire way for holeshots, but it does help tremendously. No clutch action while kicking. Just kick and gas....

warr72
02-13-2009, 01:51 PM
HRC kit and few other tricks and you can pull holeshots all day. My quad will start in gear with the clutch out and that is a huge advantage off the line in xc. The stock wire going to the starter needs to be bigger than what the factory installs and we make a gear that is stronger than stock to accomplish that on the roll start up. I put a cam, CFR ignition, ported, our race exhaust, rejetted, ported air box lid, adjustable leak jet, and so forth. The suspension we revavled as stock is a bit harsh. I run tubes in my tires with slime and no flats yet. We put 22's on the rear and 22 or 23's on the front for muddy races and basically stock size tires for the drier races. I drop a tooth or two on the rear sprocket for the 22's so it will pull hard. The next step is a Rekluse as that is a huge advantage. You need to be in real good physical shape as xc will beat you up. When at the starting line stay calm, it is hard, but concentrate on the start and look to the first corner, not the riders around you. After the start I think of something that sets me in a rage and let it all out on the track. There are tons of tips and tricks but you will have to find the ones that work for you, experience will come and be your best friend. Good luck. Distict 5 riders you better be ready.

Scro
02-13-2009, 02:19 PM
You have to pull more then 2 holeshots to be proclamied a "holeshot king"!!! lol.

But you are right, the rekluse is not a sure fire way for holeshots, but it does help tremendously. No clutch action while kicking. Just kick and gas....

"Awll you girlie-men need to gat rid of your girlie-clutches, be a man and gat dooowwwnn with a real man's clutch!!!" (in my best Arnold voice):blah:

I may like it for the starts, but I think I would hate it during the race.:p

warr72
02-13-2009, 02:34 PM
You must have some huge forearms Scro. :devil: jp

JCoop
02-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by warr72
You must have some huge forearms Scro. :devil: jp

No he is a little man lol. Can barely shift gears and brake with his short legs :D

Just playing Dustin, your my hero!! lol.

300racer
02-13-2009, 08:37 PM
motor has very little to do with xc racing at all mat smiley ran a hrc cam and exhaust thit is it i think.

Rich250RRacer
02-13-2009, 10:34 PM
My '04 has the HRC kit, and I'm still using the stock exhaust with the HRC endcap. 13 tooth front sprocket, Trailtech +8oz. flywheel. No motor mods except Kibblewhite valves. It may not be the fastest quad on the long straights, but it's very smooth in the woods. With my IMS tank, which is 1/2 gallon bigger than stock, it will go a full GNCC without refueling, and still have plenty left.

rap169
02-14-2009, 03:48 PM
i have an 04 with a rekluse, venom 12.25 480 piston and venom porting and stock carb. IF i get it top dead center before i kick it 95% of the time it will fire right up and ill pull top 3 in the holeshot.....thats if i can keep the front end on the ground. lol.

Scro
02-16-2009, 06:59 AM
No he is a little man lol. Can barely shift gears and brake with his short legs :D

Sorry to say it, but it's the truth:p