PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit hunt

hskers82
02-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Oh my it looks like someone got the easter bunny and a few of his relatives.Not a bad hunt for 3 guys and no dog.We jumped up 10 and shot 8 of them.Man I love rabbit hunting

hskers82
02-10-2009, 06:29 PM
one more pic

Pappy
02-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Man do I love rabbit hunting! I havent been since ...well a long *** time:p

Congrats on a great hunt!

hskers82
02-10-2009, 08:13 PM
thanks Pappy.This was my first rabbit hunt in close to 10 years.They are finally starting to make a comeback(D**n coyotes and other predators)

Pappy
02-10-2009, 08:19 PM
In MD..where I grew up, we had tons of them when I was a kid. Then they died out and started to come back. I think alot of the farming practices hurt their habitat....less brush lines etc. Foxes and hawks came back strong in the past 15 years but the old housecat absolutley destroys them when they are just babies.

Around here a good dog (hell anywhere) is the hot ticket. I had a few good beagles back in the day and would be gone from day-break to dark chassin'em!

90cc DAD
02-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Hey Pappy,
Do you still live in MD?
We can get together and get some cotton tails!!
Here is a picture from 2 weeks ago!!
My son Tyler...Thunder the Beagle...My friend Phil

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p422/Tylersdad95y/cid__downsized_0103091556.jpg

hskers82
02-10-2009, 08:29 PM
I would love to get a good beagle but I don't think my neighbors would like it(darn city living messes everything up).I can remember growing up in Southern Illinois and going out with my dad and brother and always jumping up alot of rabbits and 2-3 covey of quail.Those days are long gone but hopefully they will make a strong comeback.We jumped a covey of 7-10 quail but the season was out so we didn't shoot(just the way my luck is).

Pappy have you done any pheasant hunting?I am trying to go around here but I am told they just don't survive long in my area,something to do with the soil.

Pappy
02-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Naa.... I moved across the river into WV. I still hunt alot in MD however! If you hunt in MD and have a spot open, just let me know!

hskers82
02-10-2009, 08:32 PM
I think Pappy is a full fledged West Virginian but it seems like he covers the states on a regular basis.I wish I was able to do the hunting Pappy does.

Pappy
02-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by hskers82

Pappy have you done any pheasant hunting?I am trying to go around here but I am told they just don't survive long in my area,something to do with the soil.

I had a beagle for years..and we lived in an apartment. he was hell on wheels and had to have a leash on but we did pretty darn good!

As far as pheasants...I love to hunt them as well...or did. The experts say the combination of DDT and no-till wiped them out around where I hunted them and they were few and far between by the time I was well into my 20's. The rush of a cockbird flushing at your feet is incredible. I'd love to go to the midwwest and hunt them!!

90cc DAD
02-10-2009, 08:36 PM
I have quite a few good spots!!
You are more then welcome to join us anytime!!
We hunt ALOT!!
I was wandering if we ever met at a track??

Pappy
02-10-2009, 08:37 PM
I think Pappy is a full fledged West Virginian but it seems like he covers the states on a regular basis.I wish I was able to do the hunting Pappy does.

Haha, well, the choice to live a substainant lifestyle has its disadvantages..like a steady paycheck:p Its not terrible but I sure hope the economy comes back around.

I figured if I was only going to live into my 50's then I wanted to have all the fun I could out of life and worked to that end. All the men in my family have died young so I am living like I want:p

Pappy
02-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by 90cc DAD
I have quite a few good spots!!
You are more then welcome to join us anytime!!
We hunt ALOT!!
I was wandering if we ever met at a track??

I will be honest with ya..I am horrible with names (hearing is shot) and anymore so focused on doing my job that meeting people in passing doesnt stick(probably old age setting in early!)

I am usually running around the nationals with 2 Nikons strapped around my neck:p

hskers82
02-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Pappy,it seems from all of the topics on here you are the type of person that you meet and you never forget(lasting impression).I have an uncle that we always tell everyone that once you meet him you will never forget him.My older brother went to North Dakota in November for a week with some of his high school buddies and they cleaned house on pheasants.Pappy if you are ever around St.Louis during hunting season let me know,I'm sure we can find something in season to kill

cletusEX
02-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Nice bunnies guys! Never really hunted rabbits but have a farm that's loaded with them. BTW your truck looks like mine, dead stuff on the tailgate and empty beer cans filling the bed. Beer consumed after the shooting of course!;)

Pappy
02-10-2009, 09:28 PM
LOL..I was going to say that the pic of the empty beer box wasnt the best thing to be in a hunting pic:p But thats teh photog coming out of me:D

hskers...I am who I am and dont try to be anything but me. That for some reason pisses folks off online...glad you can see through it. I am special:blah: :devil:

Im just out for a good time..ask Nick, I kill his deer all the time:D

BTW Nick..dont let me forget your CD for the guys at the marsh....

hskers82
02-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Yeah after I posted the pics I noticed the box and cans and for the record they were from the night before the hunt(we sat around in his garage for most of the night bs-ing and some of the empties were put in his truck.

cletusEX
02-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
LOL..I was going to say that the pic of the empty beer box wasnt the best thing to be in a hunting pic:p But thats teh photog coming out of me:D

hskers...I am who I am and dont try to be anything but me. That for some reason pisses folks off online...glad you can see through it. I am special:blah: :devil:

Im just out for a good time..ask Nick, I kill his deer all the time:D

BTW Nick..dont let me forget your CD for the guys at the marsh....

Haha, that's why I specified after the hunt, my hunting buddies and I have an evaporation problem when it comes to beer! Might not be PC but a few or 10 in the evening never hurt anyone!:p

And Kenny does kill some deer, I'm just glad he shoots as well as he says cause where we hunt a wounded deer is a nightmare. The 870 and buckshot comes with me everywhere for a reason.:)

Yeah I'd love to get that CD, a few have been asking.

cletusEX
02-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Yeah after I posted the pics I noticed the box and cans and for the record they were from the night before the hunt(we sat around in his garage for most of the night bs-ing and some of the empties were put in his truck.

That's what we call "planning"! We have come up with some pretty crazy schemes all drunked up the night before. Good times!

Pappy
02-10-2009, 09:55 PM
No problem Nick...I have it and they are free to have them and make prints etc. I might even have a few for the clubhouse wall:p

Amen to wounded deer in that swamp. man I can see how even a slightly bad shot could turn out BAD! You cant see crap in that needle grass. I was hesitant on that shot I pulled this year but when the trigger finger touched the metal...I felt it and down he went:D Tonys kid said he was there and then he wasnt haha

cletusEX
02-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
No problem Nick...I have it and they are free to have them and make prints etc. I might even have a few for the clubhouse wall:p

Amen to wounded deer in that swamp. man I can see how even a slightly bad shot could turn out BAD! You cant see crap in that needle grass. I was hesitant on that shot I pulled this year but when the trigger finger touched the metal...I felt it and down he went:D Tonys kid said he was there and then he wasnt haha

Hesitant my ***! That deer was dead and didn't even know it. Perfect shot and great bullet performance and they won't take a step. I wouldn't have put your overlooking 1000 yrds of marsh if I didn't expect you to put a deer down! Even though that was only a chip shot of 300 yards!

Pappy
02-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Its hard enough seeing those little suckers at 300 yards:p I dont think people realize how small of an animal they really are. S,aller then a goat mostly, but 100 times tough as any whitetail ive hunted:p The one I shot last year soaked up that bullet so good I thought I missed:eek2:

Next year I will sight in at 500 yards and be ready for some shootin;) :D

cletusEX
02-10-2009, 10:14 PM
haha sounds good we"ll have to get you a a buck and doe next year

Pappy
02-10-2009, 10:16 PM
I am all for that. The meat from them lil' swamp elk is out of this world!!!