PDA

View Full Version : 2009-9 Clutch Service Bulletin

TNT
02-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Some have asked to see the 2009-9 Clutch Service Bulletin so here it is....

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk191/Terrylport/2009-92.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk191/Terrylport/2009-91.jpg

TNT
02-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Shop Manual Pics.....

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk191/Terrylport/Manual2.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk191/Terrylport/scan0001.jpg

cdoskocil9
02-10-2009, 05:59 PM
kool thanks man where can you get a shop manual? are there any other bulletins?

hotshotgoal30
02-10-2009, 06:14 PM
so unless im reading something wrong then thats for 2008 models as well? i was under the assumption that my quad couldnt get the update done to the clutch unless I payed for it? mine definetly squeeks when i first start riding so i could use that update. whats the deal? covered full under warranty or just unless i pay for it?

TNT
02-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Its not real clear because BRP covers itself as they do with their warranty as all mfg's do. This is not a recall it's a service bulletin so the cost falls back on the owner. You need to check your engine number if prior to the one noted it is "recommended" you replace the parts....true for mainly 08's! You can interchange the parts but "for better clutch performance" install the new ones. In other words install the new ones or take a chance in breaking a basket.

Look Can Am like most have a way out but at the same time don't want a bad rap. They will do anything at this point in time to keep their reputation, they are going all around the country pushing this DS, coming here to my home town in March w/a 18 wheeler full of DS450's for free test rides and giving A class riders thousand off retail. Try and negotiate.

Get the shop manual at the dealer like $100 well worth it, very good book! I don't know about other 08 bulletins I got a 09, ask your dealer. I got this bulletin to see whats up with the clutch after reading about all the 08 problems to help me decide if I want an after market. At this point in time I am sticking w/ this BRP design.

hotshotgoal30
02-11-2009, 06:47 AM
yeah thats what i thought. a "bulletin" means im stuck paying. this would probably end up costing me $200 give or take if i took it to the dealer. thats a bummer cause id like to have that done, just dont have the money. i know my number falls under the bulletin too.

nate450x
02-11-2009, 10:52 AM
I have my 08' DS in the shop right now and my dealer said that it is all covered in my warranty. I have the extended warranty and they are covering it all new hub, clutch cover and extra shim. If you are still under warranty or have extended coverage it should be covered. The only thing that sucks is you do not get all of the new clutch plates that have the rounded edges. I will ask my dealer today what they can do about that. Let you know soon!

hotshotgoal30
02-11-2009, 01:57 PM
mines under warranty! but maybe because its not broken, dont fix it kinda deal? i didnt really push the boundries i only asked them the day i picked it up so maybe i could make a stink about it

ProspectorJim
02-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by hotshotgoal30
[B so maybe i could make a stink about it [/B]

That usually helps with a dealer.

nbm
02-11-2009, 03:59 PM
I could be wrong but I think what the bulletin is saying about the clutch plates is that your original ones and the new one are all the exact same plate. What it is saying is to put the rounded edge of the new one in the opposite direction of the rest of them. on the steel plate one side is squared off and the other side has a rounded edge on the outer edge of the plate. if you look at any steel clutch plate you would see what they are talking about. by the way I would like to thank tnt1 for posting this and all the other advice he has given.

nate450x
02-16-2009, 06:40 PM
I went to the dealer and looked at the new hub and plate myself and nbm is correct all of the plates are rounded on one side. The bulletin states that when you replace the new hub and add the extra clutch plate to place the rounded edges toward the hub and the remaining plates are to be faced towards the drum (opposite the first plate). I just assumed by what my dealer was telling me that they were different. Thanks nbm for your input!

MarcM
02-20-2009, 02:57 PM
I have ridden my DS450X less than 5 hours. No Clutch Squeal.

But I talked to a local dealer. Told him to look up the TSB 2009-9 for the Clutch and he told me I could bring it in and they will do the work for free. Still under warranty.

I talked with BRP and if you are under warranty it is covered. If not, then you pay.

It may be recommended to just tell your dealer that it is squealing to get them to do the work.

X400EX
02-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Can anyone tell me where I can find the engine serial number? I can't find a number which would look as it should...

My 2009 DS MX has been manufactured 10/2008.

Thank you.

X400EX
02-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Well, is any of the 09 models may have the disfunctional clutch? Or only 08's?

Mine seems to go well, and since my ds has been built october 2008 and the bulletin released september 26... :confused:

DGS
02-21-2009, 12:56 AM
If your DS is an 09 DS450 x MX or x XC then dont worry, its got the upgraded clutch...

MarcM
02-21-2009, 10:55 AM
The Engine Number is on the bottom right hand side of the engine, by the foot peg.

Or just call a dealer, Tell them your Vin Number and they should be able to tell you if you need the work.

X400EX
02-21-2009, 01:48 PM
Damn,

My engine serial number is M67480**!!

I guess I will need the clutch update, even if I got the 09. :(

hotshotgoal30
02-21-2009, 03:12 PM
are you guys talking about the clutch update that we the customer has to pay for? or are you talking about something different. you guys are talking about the "bulletin" right?

WesDS450X
02-21-2009, 08:07 PM
i got 450 Hours of hard dune riding on my 08 stock clutch! not a single problem yet

crixal
02-21-2009, 08:42 PM
that is a lot of hours. have you had any problems w/ anything? i hope i get as lucky as you.

WesDS450X
02-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Yeah it is lol but im out everyweekend tearin it up, Naw i havent had any issue's at all, Just false N lol

MarcM
02-22-2009, 03:23 PM
are you guys talking about the clutch update that we the customer has to pay for? or are you talking about something different. you guys are talking about the "bulletin" right?

We are talking about the TSB 2009-9 as is pictured at the start of this thread. If you are under warranty you do not need to pay for it.

hotshotgoal30
02-22-2009, 04:02 PM
well mines a 2008 still under warranty. my clutch squeels but they said that there is only a bulletin and id have to pay for a different clutch. the only thing they said that is under warranty is the engine mount and something with the flywheel which they are waiting for the drill bit i guess for that. so what should i tell them to do to get this clutch thing done?

ProspectorJim
02-22-2009, 04:38 PM
well mines a 2008 still under warranty. my clutch squeels but they said that there is only a bulletin and id have to pay for a different clutch. the only thing they said that is under warranty is the engine mount and something with the flywheel which they are waiting for the drill bit i guess for that. so what should i tell them to do to get this clutch thing done?

Did you ask what the cost of the clutch update is?

hotshotgoal30
02-22-2009, 04:51 PM
no i didnt but considering the labor rate is $90 an hour i figured im in for probably $155 in labor plus parts and i dont have the money right now. but im going to go mention this clutch thing to them. what will this do just stop the squeeling or no?

ProspectorJim
02-22-2009, 05:26 PM
no i didnt but considering the labor rate is $90 an hour i figured im in for probably $155 in labor plus parts and i dont have the money right now. but im going to go mention this clutch thing to them. what will this do just stop the squeeling or no?

no it stops it from shredding into pieces.

hotshotgoal30
02-22-2009, 05:59 PM
even better. lol so i should just say look up the clutch recall for my machine?

hotshotgoal30
02-22-2009, 06:20 PM
maybe they just told me i had to pay for it because my engine number doesnt fall into the bulletin i dont think. but even so i still have a warranty and i still have squeeling problems

bamf_LTR
02-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Mine is in the shop right now. If you haven't had this fixed you need to. When my basket shattered the clutch could not be pulled at all. Could have sucked very badly had I been on the track coming out of a corner before a jump. Mine isn't under warranty and the dealer is fixing it for free with '09 parts. Its been there for two weeks with parts on back order. While it's in there get the recalls done also.

MarcM
02-22-2009, 11:51 PM

Call more Can-Am dealers and talk to service.

Some dealers are ignorant.

I am still under the 6 month initial warranty. So, maybe that is different then the extended warranty. But, I would say the extended warranty should cover more than the initial warranty.

Call multiple dealers, ask and talk to the service department, explain your squeal problem and TELL THEM about the TSB 2009-9.

Give them your VIN Number. If your engine qualifies and you are under warranty then you should have it fixed for free.

crixal
02-23-2009, 06:44 AM
is this just the early model 08s or all 08s? i called two difffernet dealers & neither knew what i was talking about.

X400EX
02-23-2009, 01:24 PM
I've called my dealer and they didn't know what I was talking about until I tell them to look up at the 2009-9 service bulletin.

They called me back 15 minutes after and told me it's going to be under warranty.

MarcM
02-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by crixal
is this just the early model 08s or all 08s? i called two difffernet dealers & neither knew what i was talking about.

Yes,

Tell them about the 2009-9 bulletin. Then give them your VIN Number. They can look it up and see if you qualify.

hotshotgoal30
02-23-2009, 07:59 PM
so is it all 08's? i can get my vin number if someone can pull up the bulletins/recalls my machine needs. then im going to the dealer and giving them one last shot to do this right before i go to the next closest one. id really appreciate if someone can just send me the list black and white of what work im entitled too so i can print it out and hand it to them.

hotshotgoal30
02-25-2009, 07:55 PM
anyone? i just want a quick list to show my dealer. i have my vin i know someone on here works for a dealer or something that could pull it up. i will tell you my clutch squeels when i first start riding, i have a coolant leak. so what needs to be done all in all? its a 2008 but i know its probably an early model as it sat at the dealership for a long time. and like i said the dealer told me i had to pay for the clutch update or w/e but if i have a squeeling clutch shouldnt that me fixed under warranty?

DGS
02-26-2009, 12:49 AM
Send me your vin # and i will check on my list....I also need the model number...

TNT
03-04-2009, 08:28 AM
Allright folks listen up and I've said this before, if you own a DS450 prior to engine # M6748166 you need an update. We're seeing more and more clutches brake and you run a risk of severe engine damageā€¦The update is to the hub, cover, plates and installation(see above). We are being told if you do the update and the basket breaks it is covered by warrantee, even if you own an 08. BRP is confident they solved the problem, this is your best solution. That and keep the play in the lever(3/8-5/8), also don't ride your clutch, feather power with it cornering or uphill. I recommend you use heavy duty springs you can get through Warnett Racing. Use BRP oil it has the engineered antifriction properties and warrantee coverage. Replace your oil, plates, frictions, springs, at the recommended intervals or if you loose play in the lever immediately!

If your dealer is clueless call mine, Devin 316-265-2628, he can get parts fast and ship anywhere in the world. Tell him Terry sent you for a deal.

hotshotgoal30
03-04-2009, 12:41 PM
so how much do you think this would cost do do something like that for those of us who have numbers prior to the one mentioned? also i dont get why it wouldnt be all numbers i mean obviously the problem is in 08 why would they exclude some?

crixal
03-04-2009, 12:46 PM
i just talked to a few different dealers and they said it's not under warranty unless the basket breaks. to get the upgraded parts & installed it would be about 400 bux.

WesDS450X
03-04-2009, 12:50 PM
My dealer just told me its free to everyone with 08's because it's a recall! dont let your dealer push you around, Mine tryed givin me the reach around and i almost had to ***** slap them lol

hotshotgoal30
03-04-2009, 02:07 PM
i just talked to a few different dealers and they said it's not under warranty unless the basket breaks. to get the upgraded parts & installed it would be about 400 bux.

exzactly not covered unless it breaks under warranty and not replaced for free. how dumb is that? some 08's are replaced free and some are not? i dont understand it. unfortenetly for me mine isnt and i dont have 400 bucks. makes no sense

TNT
03-04-2009, 03:26 PM
I don't know why all the different dealer responses....Ours told us they get preferential treatment due to all the watercraft they sell. Call them get the parts and do it yourself.....Ask Devin if you get the parts and install it yourself will he file the warranty claim if it breaks.... If he's nice and does all that return the favor and order ALL your parts through him in the future, he gives great discounts especially if you say you TNT :D

I hope he can treat you guys better, I'm just relaying what he told me.

TNT
03-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Crixal.... I cant PM you back YOUR MAILBOX IS FULL IT WONT LET ME LOL!

So here is my response....

The 08 assembly didn't have enough pressure and friction since the hub was too shallow & not enough plates, and oil was not flowing to the upper clutch plates, so the clutch plates would slip burn then brake and at such high RPM's any little metal fragment hitting the basket wall breaks it, lots of centrifiigal force.

You could go after market but you can rest assured the Engineers at BRP know more about their products and are or have done all they can to fix this, any other effort would be secondary and alot of expense to you the buyer and it may not fix the problem.

The guys that just put Hinson baskets on put a banade on a bad design which did nothing to fix the friction pressure problem.

If I were you I'd call Devin and get the parts cheap or where ever you can and follow the bulletin(which does not call for a new basket), or have someone do it, they never ask to see proof that a certified BRP did the install.

You need a tool to hold the basket and I will scan in the manual instructions if you or anyone wants.

Only other options is Motorworks but for $600 just in parts, not! Full assy is best if you decide this path, and you don't know they got the dimensions right, they probably took a scale to the old parts, not good in precision machining, since they did not have the BRP Engineering drawings.

My son is VERY VERY hard on his 09 clutch and we have had no probs after 25 hrs...

Hope that helps,

Terry

TNT
03-12-2009, 06:19 AM
Bump for punk'd :D

X400EX
03-12-2009, 03:41 PM
I will get mine done next tuesday.

Then, I'm gonna install my new Rossier exhaust and intake kit with megacone end cap! :)

mebcop
03-17-2009, 06:09 AM
TNT... Can you get a price on the parts from your dealer.... VERY interested in purchasing the parts for both my DS's

mebcop
03-17-2009, 06:09 AM
TNT... Can you get a price on the parts from your dealer.... VERY interested in purchasing the parts for both my DS's

TNT
03-17-2009, 07:16 AM
Sure just give em a call, Devin 316-265-2628 tell em TNT sent ya he'll treat ya right!

Blizzard24
03-17-2009, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by TNT1
Sure just give em a call, Devin 316-265-2628 tell em TNT sent ya he'll treat ya right!

Terry, I tried calling Devin for a louver kit, can you help me out, he hasnt gotte back to me, pm me if you can.
Thanks -Chris

TNT
03-17-2009, 09:19 AM
There was a misunderstanding on our part and we thought when we got the Race Team Parts List Warnert was releasing those parts to our and certain dealerships to sell to the general public. Well as it turns out that's not true, the dealerships have to go to the Tech Race Coordinator to get approved then the Dealers can approve a certain number of racers that have purchased quads at their dealership. You can still purchase stock parts such as clutch recall parts through my dealer, he can usually can parts fast.

I apologize for the confusion.

MarcM
04-10-2009, 01:00 AM
Hey...

I called numerous dealers and found one with lots of BRP/Rotax Engine Experience. ironically as TNT1 said I found a dealer that dealt with lots of watercrafts.

I told them about the service bulletin and they looked it up and found it. Two days later they call me back and say they can get the clutch parts and do the labor for free. i am still under warranty.

I recommend call all dealers within 100 miles. Sounds like watercraft dealers may have more clout, so start there, if they sell atv's too.

Email them the link to the first post in this thread by TNT1 with the picture of the service bulletin, while you are on the phone, to the service guy you are talking with on the phone.

hotshotgoal30
04-10-2009, 06:43 AM
this very well could be tru. my dealership sells minimum atv's. but they sell a boat load of watercraft. i think they got awards for selling so many. who knows. but im waiting now for the clutch parts. supposdily wount be here till the end of the month. oh well i picked up the machine to ride anyways. its not gunna sit there while i wait even though the servce maager says " i strongly recommend you leave it here" yeah w/e pal. lol

ProspectorJim
04-10-2009, 08:09 AM
My dealer is going to get all the parts for free, but I have to pay for labor. The first time I called , the guy at the service dept. looked it up and found the recall and the bulletin. They also sell watercraft, so there may be truth to what you guys are saying.

crixal
04-10-2009, 08:14 AM
did your clutch go out, jim? tnt, has devin done any clutch updates?

grannysleeper
04-10-2009, 09:09 AM
How much are they charging you for labor? I just bought all the parts for $230 (including gaskets), and am gonna do the labor myself. Just wondering which is the better deal.

ProspectorJim
04-10-2009, 09:16 AM
did your clutch go out, jim? tnt, has devin done any clutch updates?

No, my clutch is still fully intact. My bike is not under warranty either.

My dealer didn't give me an estimate as to how much the labor was going to cost, but I'm guessing $100-150.

TNT
04-10-2009, 10:17 AM
The way our dealer is able to work it is all parts and labor are covered under warantee. They can get the parts but have to do the work.

hotshotgoal30
04-10-2009, 01:03 PM
see my dealer presented me in a way that made me think i dont have to pay for anything. no parts or labor. now i may have misunderstood what they said and even if i did im going to argue the case. if i have to pay for labor its fine but id like to try to get them too cover it under warranty or pay for it. lol who wouldnt. ultimetly tho i am prepared to pay if it comes down to if for the labor

Blizzard24
04-10-2009, 01:33 PM
I had my clutch update done, the clutch was making the squeeling noise and I brought it in for them to check it out, they could not replicate the noise so they gave it back to me.

Once the update came out, I contacted them again and told them I had brought it in and they couldnt fix it, this time they just ordered the parts and installed everything. The quad was still under warranty.

The parts do not have to reach catastrophic failure before they can be warrantied, they can just not be performing (ie: squeeling) the way they are supposed to be.

If your quad is not under warranty and they are getting the parts for you and you just have to pay labor... consider yourself lucky. They could just tell you nothing is covered since it is out of warranty.

hotshotgoal30
04-10-2009, 02:03 PM
its not out of warranty. im still in warranty. and i had squeeling problems i brought it there multiple times when it was there for the recalls and coolant leak i told them about it. could not duplicate is what they said. im not worried. worst case scenario is i pay for labor

MarcM
04-13-2009, 02:30 PM
I had the Clutch Update completed and went riding this past weekend.

The clutch squeal used to occur in 1st gear only when taking off.

I was happy that the squeal was gone...BUT about an hour into the ride on a small hill climb the clutch started to squeal again.

All in all the clutch squealed about 4 times on small hill climbs, after I got the updates.

Does anyone else still hear any squealing after the update?

IOWAracer
04-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Everyone do your self a favor get rid of the stock plates! get banshee plates and go back to a 8 plate set up! you have to grind the back side of the tab for some clearence and a little off the top but do it on the back side or right side because that isnt the drive side works AWSOME i have broke tons of stock plates 8 plate setup and 9 plate setup if you want you can pm me and i will get you aset of plates machined for clearence for a great price ready to go in!

crixal
04-15-2009, 04:21 PM
my dealer finally got thru to brp and i'm getting the clutch update done. the parts & labor are free.

IOWAracer
04-18-2009, 12:39 AM
the bad thing about the 9 plate set up that ive found is that the plates are THIN! we did a little machining to the tabs on some banshee plates and made them work and went back to a eight plate set up every ride i went on before doing this i had to cut it short due to broken plates....

TNT
04-18-2009, 08:07 AM
Are you running the 08 or 09 hub?

IOWAracer
04-18-2009, 12:42 PM
good question that i dont know...?

TNT
04-20-2009, 05:54 AM
Probably the 08 if you got one and have not done the update. You may have a good fix but this update also adds a new hub that keeps the plates from breaking. So far the new design seems to be working we are not seeing alot of plates breaking or prematurely wearing.