PDA

View Full Version : hard starting

quad2xtreme
02-10-2009, 01:02 AM
I've heard lots of complaints about hard starting with the electric starts, etc. I've never had any problems until this past weekend.

I installed a new airbox so obviously I wanted to install a clean air filter. I usually run White Brother Powerfilters but all I had clean was a stock air filter. So, I used WB Powerfilter oil. My quad wouldn't start...it wanted to but wouldn't fire over.

So, I pulled the air filter and just threw another stock filter on with no oil as a test. Fired right up. So, I sprayed this filter with NoToil and rode all day Sunday without a problem.

Made me wonder if people were over oiling their air filters or using oil that is maybe to thick for a stock filter.

BTW after I got the quad running, I tried the stock one again with the WB oil on it. Still a no go.

02-10-2009, 07:40 AM
that was not my problem...the problem with the ers not starting is when they are hot...ride it for an hour or so...take a break...then watch the rest of the group fade into the sunset while you sit there pushing the magic button

quad2xtreme
02-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad
that was not my problem...the problem with the ers not starting is when they are hot...ride it for an hour or so...take a break...then watch the rest of the group fade into the sunset while you sit there pushing the magic button

speedyquad, always thought you had a lemon. We have two...a 2008 my wife rides in the trails and my 2006 for the mx track. We never have any trouble starting them...but both have HRC kits and EHS lids so maybe that solves the problem. I stalled once during a race and it did take me about 20-25 seconds to restart it but I did make the mistake of giving it some gas. My wife stalls hers at least 10-20 times every time we ride with no problem getting it restarted. Last time out, the engine was covered in 1" of mud. I am not sure how it kept from overheating.

Once when it was really cold, it didn't want to start. I have a lid with no hole in it that I use when powerwashing. I put that on it to totally restrict the air flow and it fired right up. I think having too much oil is like overchoking it. In fact, I noticed it wanted to start only when I had the choke off.

Anyhow, I was just trying to help out other 450r riders. I wasn't trying to dredge up your nightmare for you. You've moved on and seem happy and content with your 400ex...same as me in the trails. Although I occasionally like to ride my wife's up some steeper hillclimbs that my 400ex won't do, I like my 400ex better for the trail riding we do. We ride pretty fast and don't take many breaks. I wouldn't say we are on pace to win a XC race though. :p

Colby@C&DRacing
02-10-2009, 08:16 AM
You are right if the filter is freshly and heavily oild the atv has a hard time starting or won't start. We use the maxima fft oil and heavily oil the filter but if we are going to ride soon we install the filter with the atv running this will allow some of the chemical to evaporate other wise we let the filter sit for 24 hrs and then install the filter.

quad2xtreme
02-10-2009, 08:36 AM
oh yea, this is why I was replacing the airbox in the first place...tried to tell Dan I generally don't make the same mistakes twice. I wasn't about to let him get the inside line on me again. :D

Colby@C&DRacing
02-10-2009, 09:13 AM
:D I can see why you replaced it probably wasn't much left.

Zac1091
02-10-2009, 03:36 PM
well i have never had any trouble with mine starting. we ride pretty much all day and i start and stop turning it on and off never fails to start. i guess you just have to remember to keep the throttle closed durin starting or it will cut out on you. i normally just barely give it any when starting and it seems to help start it.

smw450r
02-10-2009, 08:10 PM
groove them turf tamers u won't regret it helped mine out alot

warr72
02-10-2009, 08:14 PM
I clean my filter then spray the filter with maxima filter oil and put it in a plastic shopping bag. I gently kneed the oil into the filter and then set on a bench. Then I take a hair drier on low heat but high fan and wave it around the filter. I use a uni filter and maxima filter oil and I can tell by the color of the filter if I have too much or too little oil.