PDA

View Full Version : 08 450 mxr issue and 09 525 question

joeyds450x
02-10-2009, 12:58 AM
i got a buddy who has a brand new 08 450mxr all stock, he was wide open running river and the wrist pin broke and the piston fell off the rod... how would something like this happen? has anybody ever had this happen to them? now he want to get a new 09 525 in the summer... how much better are they from the 08s... besides the looks lol any inputs would be appreciated

xtreme 250x
02-10-2009, 07:05 AM
Sounds like the parts in the motor were deffective. Thats like saying, I had a honda and I was wide open and threw a crank bearing how does this happen.:devil:

joeyds450x
02-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by xtreme 250x
Sounds like the parts in the motor were deffective. Thats like saying, I had a honda and I was wide open and threw a crank bearing how does this happen.:devil:

its just ive never heard of a piston coming off before lol

GE4x4
02-10-2009, 12:29 PM
If it's brand new, then warrenty should take care of it. But since the Outlaw with the KTM engine been out, this is the first I've heard of a wrist pin going. Sounds like a flawed part to me. I would have no hesitation on getting the 09. I know I am.

joeyds450x
02-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by GE4x4
If it's brand new, then warrenty should take care of it. But since the Outlaw with the KTM engine been out, this is the first I've heard of a wrist pin going. Sounds like a flawed part to me. I would have no hesitation on getting the 09. I know I am.

how much better are they than the 08 outlaws?

GE4x4
02-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Engine wise there the same, but there are many upgrades to the rest of the package. Shocks are much better valved and sprung. Tie rod ends are the same as the new SP850XP. So they should be real durable. New ball joints, no pro steering, all fastners like the KTM quad, lighter and better race ergos. People complain about the air box, but it still puts out the same hp as the KTM and many shootouts it's even a bit quickers. Then dynos with mods still show it the same as the KTM. So the 450 and 525s do have a small airbox, but no one has showed that it doesn't work. One thing I do like over the KTM is the Outlaw frame has rake to it. This makes it handel hits much better. That one mod you can not do to the KTM. Also the $4000 less msrp doesn't hurt either.

SSJEFF
02-11-2009, 12:30 AM
since ge4x4 was talking about the KTM vs the outlaw, the KTM has an issue with the swing arm cracking also. This may be limited to the early ones though.

The 09 outlaws biggest thing was going to a single steering post, although it might create more bump steer, it lightens the quad and less stuff to go wrong. My steering components have had to be beefed up on my 06-08 outlaws due to what I put them through wereas I do not think the 09 will have issues. I like the look of the 06-08 better but the 09 is growing on me.

joeyds450x
02-11-2009, 12:35 AM
i just really like the looks of the 09 i wish it wasnt called outlaw though... they shoulda brought back the preditor name lol!