PDA

View Full Version : parking brake block question

lilpoppy
12-22-2002, 10:01 PM
Im thinking of getting a parking brake block off but i dont know exactily what this helps or hurts or what exactily gets removed. Can you remove the entire cable and how long does this take to do?

derekhonda
12-22-2002, 11:51 PM
total process takes maybe 5 minutes. It saves your about 3-4 pounds and yes you can remove the cable all the way up to where it mounts on your clutch perch and you can take all that crap away up there too to clean it up a bit. I find it worth the 12 bucks it really clean the rear end of your quad up.

400grl
12-23-2002, 11:27 AM
Yep - get all that crap off your handlebars - its' SO nice when it's gone! I had my 400 for over a year and had never once used that parking brake! The block offs look nice, too!

QuadTrix6
12-23-2002, 11:30 AM
its worth it, takes a few minutes

gojk
12-23-2002, 11:31 AM
Also with the p-brake, if you adjust it so that it works, it makes your rear brake always drag. That will wear down pads quick.

02exchic
12-23-2002, 01:13 PM
Yeah...the pb is esentially worthless. Mine actually got loose enough on one ride that it fell off!
Looks nicer, quick to install...what other reason could you possibly need! ;)

RideRed04
12-23-2002, 02:32 PM
Just a few tips from someone who has done it. Seriously think about a hydro clutch, I will be getting one this spring. The stock lever and perch have a really nice pull, but are ugly as sin. When you get a new lever and perch, make sure to get one that has a rubber boot to protect the bushing. One good one to get is a stock YZ. I was going to get one, but the clerk at the yammi shop convinced me that the cheap moose one was just as good. I wanted to go roll some heads after I broke the stupid thing in half trying to tighten it down. I had to go clobber an aftermarket yamaha lever onto the aftermarket perch for a suzuki (they where out of 'zuki levers....long story) and have been using that ever since. It is very obvious when my clutch fades, after about a half hour of riding I am dicking around adjusting the cable at every stop sign, and I dont abuse the clutch at all. Save yourself the torment and do it right the first time. The stock YZ perch and lever have a rubber boot, on the fly adjustment, and are oem quality. I think total it adds up to about $30. My cheap crap perch and lever cost me $20, plus the back plate off of my stock lever to replace the one that broke in half. Like I said, think about a hydro, never have to adjust and easy pull. Hope that helped!

300exQuadracer
12-25-2002, 02:18 PM
i got a block off last night for christmas and put mine on in about 5 minutes

terko440
12-25-2002, 06:25 PM
Dido too what everyone else here has said, and dont think your making a mistake by doing so. i just dont understand the design of it since it doesnt self adjust. In other words, once you use your rear break while riding, and then use your e-brake to keep it still, it does'nt do it's job anymore. Junk! But do remember to prop or strap your bike in place when driving so your not thrashing your tranny!