PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Chain broke

Mike594
02-09-2009, 03:10 PM
So I went to the local pit today with my brother, and we were just doing some normal riding, nothing too rough. I got off my 400 to take a break and he starts riding it around, doing some small jumps and crap. Then I don't hear the quad anymore, so I jog over to see what happened, just to find out that the chain had snapped. I looked at the chain and noticed it was an aftermarket O-ring type. Now I know most of you guys recommend a non-Oring chain. So my question to all of you is, what do you think the best, or one of the best non o-ring chain is? Also, Im gonna be running stock gearing now, 15/38, how many links should the chain be? Anyone recommend a nice sprocket/chain combo? Thanks guys.

buck440
02-09-2009, 03:33 PM
i dont know in what way a non oring is better than a o ring chain for the average rider unless you are a racer and weight matters to you not that the grease and orings weigh more than two marbles.

dalejiw25
02-09-2009, 04:21 PM
LMAO

buck440
02-09-2009, 04:34 PM
hey man its true, i think its stupid when someone says they use a non oring chain cause its lighter, pshhh, just fart, clear your ears and shave and then you can use a o ring chain in that case:D

Pipeless416
02-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by buck440
hey man its true, i think its stupid when someone says they use a non oring chain cause its lighter, pshhh, just fart, clear your ears and shave and then you can use a o ring chain in that case:D

actually its because of friction. :rolleyes:

Mike594
02-09-2009, 06:01 PM
actually its because of friction.

Thats why I'd go with a non o-ring chain, not because im trying to shave weight. If you weren't going to help out any buck, you didn't need to say anything. Im not exactly a veteran when it comes to riding, and this is my first 400ex. So if you don't want to be of any help, please don't comment.

hypersnyper6947
02-09-2009, 06:08 PM
I have a nice O-ring chain, i got to use it like twice then i changed my sprockets and now i dont use it, it should fit i will count the links for you i paid like $60 for it. Its yellow. Let me know if your interested.

here is a pic of it on the quad.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i276/aclasson86/exriders/IM000522.jpg

buck440
02-09-2009, 06:09 PM
just forget everything i said about weight and friction, your clearly a noob when you think a non o ring is better than a o ring chain unless your just putting around which you might be......so hows that for useful

rob_990
02-09-2009, 06:40 PM
i have primary drive o ring chain and sproket set from rockymountain. its pretty cheap compared to the top names but its held up great so far.

im pretty sure o ring chains last longer but require to be lubed more.it could be the other way around but i dont think so.

hypersnyper6947
02-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by rob_990
i have primary drive o ring chain and sproket set from rockymountain. its pretty cheap compared to the top names but its held up great so far.

im pretty sure o ring chains last longer but require to be lubed more.it could be the other way around but i dont think so.

Its the other way around, they do last longer and actually have to be lubed less b/c of the o-ring, im pretty sure there self lubricating. Also the o-rings keep dirt out, with the non o-rings you have to clean and lube them more often, but there ALOT cheaper. GtThunder has a dyno graph showing and actual loss in HP when using a o-ring chain, its a very little loss

http://www.geocities.com/gtthunder.geo/testbed_set.html

Click on 400ex its the 9th one down

dunatic
02-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Oring chains cause friction and require more HP to move. They require less lube and maintenance. The weight of the orings is probably 1-2 oz

Non-oring chains will put more HP to your rear wheels, but do require maintenance to keep them fresh.

BIG sprockets are another factor.

If you dont run over rocks or BIG logs, go with BIG sprockets. Meaning if you run a 15-39 (2.6:1) go to a 16-41 or 17-44. the bigger the sprockets, the more teeth that are engaged with the chain at anyone time, causing less wear per link, per revolution. Less stress on the axle/carrier and less shock to the tranny/clutch.

I run GP HD non-oring chains. 7250 lb tensile strength...nearly the best on the market especially for the price.

120 link...........$40
130 link...........$45

I have one of each in stock and either will fit a 400ex with any of the gearing options that i mentioned above. shipping is just $8.75 priority mail.

Did I mention it includes an additional master link (case you accidentally cut it too short or you build a lot more HP later and want to move up in gearing to take advantage of the extra poop)

buck440
02-09-2009, 10:13 PM
but doesn't a non o ring chain cause more friction because it doesn't have o rings to keep dirt out?

Mike594
02-09-2009, 10:33 PM
just forget everything i said about weight and friction, your clearly a noob when you think a non o ring is better than a o ring chain unless your just putting around which you might be......so hows that for useful

I never said a non o-ring chain was better, first of all. I said that most of the posts I've seen here, and on other forums, seem to go more that way. Secondly, what I did ask was what non o-ring chain was a good one. That usually means that the answer should consist of someone naming a brand, place to get one, what their opinion was on that chain, etc. You know, kind of like dunatic has done and rob and hypersnyper. If I wanted information about friction and weight properties, I would have pm'd you since you seem to know everything about that. You don't have to leave such smartass comments by the way. You could just act your age and not have an attitude. Unless of course you're under 18, then that would explain it.

Thanks to the rest of you guys for the help and info. I appreciate it.

buck440
02-09-2009, 10:45 PM
i mean this in a nice way...i wasn't even talking to you about the whole friction deal

dunatic
02-09-2009, 11:50 PM
not at all. if you keep your chain clean and lubed with a good slick stuff it has less friction. The orings cause friction all the time...dry, wet, lubed or not.

but doesn't a non o ring chain cause more friction because it doesn't have o rings to keep dirt out?

hypersnyper6947
02-10-2009, 01:38 AM
I really understood this whole chain thing when i held both of them and was able to compare. The non o-ring can just flop around with no resistance, where with the o-ring chain it has some resistance to bending. This is because it is so tight in between the links from the o-rings being smushed in between.

All in all, i dont think its a big deal to go either way, i went for the non o-ring b/c of price, all i do is keep it clean by spraying it with WD then brushing it with a cleaning brush and then i use chain wax to help with keeping it lubed.

Mike594
02-10-2009, 07:29 AM
Alright well I'm gonna go with steel gears probably, cuz Im not concerned with weight. But then again the aluminum ones are probably more than adequate for what I do. Mostly pit riding, small to medium jumps, and some trail riding. I guess I might as well go with an o-ring chain, but I want to get a good brand chain. I don't want it to wear or stretch over a short period of time. I was looking at some Renthal chains and Moose gears. Anyone use any of these products?

buck440
02-10-2009, 09:16 AM
i guess i ment friction in a diff way, im talking about how dirt and sand and rust happens on the pins of a non o ring chain causing it to,"STRECH" a lot faster than a o ring chain. yes i know the o ring do cause friction, but its not effecting the life of the chain and a loss of .7 of a horse power seems like a good sacrifice for a chain that lasts longer than a non o ring chain .....would you guys atleast agree with that? i do want to help out but i got a little carried away. i seen in my rockymountainatv magazine that you can get one of ther newer renthal r3 oring chains for $75 and if you spend over $100 you get free shipping...cheeper than ebay for once, and yes i use a renthal o ring chain, actually my friend had it on his kx 250 f fot about two years and he decided to get new stuff and me making the mistake of getting a non oring and having them snap like crazy, i took his old renthal chan and have been using it for almost a year now and im just now going to replace it,

Mike594
02-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Well I just said f* it and bought a primary drive gold o-ring chain. Along with a steel front and rear sprocket from primary drive. I think I should be ok with these sprockets and chain for what I do.