PDA

View Full Version : Trying something new this season...

Stoke88
02-09-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm thinking of trying fly fishing for trout this year and later in the season going up to Pulaski, NY for some salmon fishing. The only problem is I know nothing about fly fishing nor do I have any fly fishing gear. Could someone point me in the right direction as to what gear I need? I've been looking at some fly rods and such but they are so expensive. I'd like a relativly cheap combo if possible to start with because I'm not even sure I'll like it. On the salmon side, could someone point me in the right direction of what size rod, reel, line test and lures/bait to use? I really like spinning reels but I've been looking at the bait casters. Which do you prefer? The heaviest rod I have is a 6'6" Med. spinner. I'm almost positive thats not heavy enough. I've been fishing almost all my life now and I've yet to try either of these. I'm really looking forward to it.

ZeroLogic
02-09-2009, 02:39 PM
I also would like to hear what you guys recommend for trout fly fishing.

When did you go to Pulaski? My boss invited me to go up there for some salmon fishing. I wish I woulda went now.:p

Pappy
02-09-2009, 03:41 PM
I tried it before and loved it, but always found myself busy and never stuck with it, so I would be all ears as well!

dukee66
02-09-2009, 09:26 PM
its fun but if i was u just go to a sporting goods store and tell them wat u want and how much roughly and they should hook u up